Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Neither

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this might set off a firestorm, but lets keep it to the basics.

As I looked into GW Groups, it seems GWRRA and GWTA are the two big groups. Can I I get a few opinions regarding comparisons without all the links and sales pitch?

Opinions are great, i am just looking to see what might be the best idea... or should I join both?

Thanks up front.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Join both and then you can decide which one you like the best or stay a member of both. Different folks like different clubs no one club fits all.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
You mean that there are other Goldwing groups besides GL1800Rider.com !!!!!!:shock:

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
i did join the gwrra and it was 100% a waste of effort, i already knew where dairy queen was

and i dont need a safety inspection and a set of rules two pages long, to ride to have ice cream and a planning meeting of how to sell more raffle tickets

now the gtwa, oh boy

i went to their goldrush national event, about 12 miles from my house

what a waste of time that was

i guess i am a rider and not a raffle buying, ice cream eating, pin collector

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
Have you considered...

3M Sunshine SNOT Riders Cartel from Outer Space

Nice group, but somewhat regional. ;)

R

·
0 Posts
I wouldn't mine getting a nice biker rag but I don't feel I need to belong to something that has more rules than common sense in order to get that rag.

·
Banned
3,711 Posts
i did join the gwrra and it was 100% a waste of effort, i already knew where dairy queen was

and i dont need a safety inspection and a set of rules two pages long, to ride to have ice cream and a planning meeting of how to sell more raffle tickets

now the gtwa, oh boy

i went to their goldrush national event, about 12 miles from my house

what a waste of time that was

i guess i am a rider and not a raffle buying, ice cream eating, pin collector

DQ in AR for loren is popular it has in door plumbing :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
608 Posts
join to get the roadside insurance then forget about them. Not worth the effort or time. Just my experience. Keltic

·
Registered
34 Posts
You don't have to join.
Just go and hengout with the group and see if you like it or not.
If you do then join, if not leave.
I belong to both.

Rick

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
I'm with Keltic!!!

Shadow1

Hal

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Well let me try to say this very carefully. There are a whole lot of nice people in those organizations. They are just like us , love to have fun and eat and ride. You can make some friends, and have a good time, at times.

Thing is most of the folks in those organizations are retired. Have a lot of free time and most of the better rides are during the week. Saturdays are the meet days, where you meet and eat and purchase raffle tickets. Then you run to another chapter and purchase more raffle tickets. You do not need to buy a bunch of them, maybe five bucks worth and it does help support the chapters.

But if you like to ride on the weekends, and have limited time and have a job and have to work, yep it will waste your Saturday.

There is the herd mentality thing too, you have to just step back and make your own decisions, such as my local chapter, seems like every function lately has some kind of group decision that goes outside my comfort level. so I just do not participate. Example is such as I do not ride at night, not unless it is a have to case, I am certainly not going to put myself into a position of dodging deer at night if I can help it, but our last little episode was a meet and eat at a members home, out in the country, at 5:30 p.m. It gets dark at 6:00 P.M. You know before you go it will be 11:00 P.M before that breaks up.

Groups, group rides, large gatherings of people, are most of the time a disaster waiting to happen.

Kit

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Both groups are good. I belong to gwrra. Don go to smoe meeting for laughs. But you don't need a groupe to have fun riding, just some good buds or a god wife.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I've been ridin' bikes since high school, and this is the closest to any "club" I've ever had anything to do with. I just don't get into the club scene. Just like to be able to take off whenever the opportunity hits with friends or just the wife and see where we end up. We still have a high school aged daughter at home so we usually just get to have day trips occasionally.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
:popcorn::popcorn:;)

For Moi' it's either this website or as the naviguessor/bombadier states:

"It's all about us let the other folks do what they want".

So we have our own lil' group and my dues are that she gets all my $$$$.

:lol:

:popcorn::popcorn:

An Army of One guy would stir this up AGAIN.:lol:

·
Smoky
1,191 Posts
I belong to the Star Touring & Riding Association, Akron Chapter 331. Great bunch of people. We do a lot of riding and little BS'ing. In the riding season, our meetings are held at the meeting spot for a Chapter ride for the few minutes that it takes. We have Chapter rides on the second and fourth Sundays of the months from April through October plus impromptu rides in between. In the off-season we meet once a month at a restaurant for our meeting and enjoy each other’s company and have something to eat. Also in the off-season we have a Christmas Party, New Years Party and in March a Bowling Party.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I belong to GWRRA and my Chapter rides a lot. We meet on Wednesday evening once a month and during riding season we frequently ride to dinner on Wed evening. We all get along very well and have social gatherings during the winter months. We even take vacations togather.
It all depends on the Chapter you participate with. If you don't like one try another, there all different.
March 22, 2009 will be the Chapters 28th birthday, must be doing something right!

·
Registered
110 Posts
I belong to both and go to some of the meetings but have never been to the national rallys.
A very good reason to belong to GWRRA is the Gold Book with a list of members nationwide in case you have trouble on the road. I used it once to ask for help to pick out a hotel in New Jersey close to Manhatten. We were flying from the west coast and didn't have a clue where to stay.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts