GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend asked me if there are snow chains for a GW and is someone actually riding his scooter after it snows.
I said I'll ask you guys who live in the far north and someone can probably educate us.
Thanks!

·
lightley seasoned member
3,081 Posts
Have ridden the wing after it snows...........in Nevada. Not planned.
Have no desire to do it again.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Not on purpose but when we are this late in the season and the roads are still dry, the suprise snow can fall. Then you get to ride home with pucker butt or trailer it home. Would not recommend riding in snow ever. However, if you could ride in say an inch or less at a slow speed, it can be done. Anything other than going straight is tricky. Never heard of or seen snow chains for a goldwing. We do have ice picks for off road bikes that race on ice ovals. That is a blast to watch!!

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Here's a link to poke around on for answers: http://forums.delphiforums.com/n/ma...g=2.1&prettyurl=/ridealaska/messages/?msg=2.1

You might want to pm AKldrider. I think he has studs on his wing tires. When I lived up in AK, a few hardy souls studded their tires and rode on and off all winter. It might require using tube type or car tires though. Not sure - here in MI it's clear enough on the roads not to worry about chains.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Due to lack of intelligence :oops:, and too many bogus weather reports, I've been caught in the snow several times, even once already on my 07. The wing's radials are absolutely No fun in the white stuff.

The Harley baggers, with their bias ply tires are much easier to ride in the snow. If I was in the mood to ride, I had no reservations about taking the ultras out for a spin in the snow. Not 1000 mile rides, but just enough to scratch the itch.

About chains for scooters, I'd be afraid of tearing the hell out of the bike with them on.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All,
I can not imagine the need for putting studs while riding in TX but thanks for satisfying my curiosity!
…and thanks for the link. If I ever move up north, I'll know you can ride it in winter (although not a great idea :cry: )

·
Registered
2,547 Posts

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I've been working on a set for a while. I want to always be on the chain so I'm making a ladder pattern with five strands going around the tire and strands going across every 4 inches. It has worked well in slow tests but I'm having trouble finding an easy way to mount them and not run the risk of having anything tangle up in the fenders or brake system. If I ever get too far out in a snowstorm, I want to be able to maintain 30-40 mph to get home. I also am having a little trouble figuring out a good solution for the front tire. The curve is more dramatic so the strands going around the tire need to be a little smaller as they go out but nothing lines up real well. I might try something with cables...

Tom F

1 - 8 of 8 Posts