GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figure there must be some members here that belong to the GWRA. I am stongly considering joining. Does anyone have pos/neg feedback on GWRA? Hotel Discounts any good?

One item that caught my attention was the Rescue Plus. Apparently, it is MC Focused emergency service. -- Any experiences there? Good Buy? Waste of $$$???

I read the Mar issue of WINGWORLD, I really enjoyed that issue, dont know if they are all that good.

Fellas, I'd appreciate any suggestions you might have to offer.

Thanks and Ride Safe!

·
Registered
55 Posts
gwrra

GWRRA is a great group of poeple they are a friendly and all like to ride. They hold monthly meetings usually eat before hand, also usually plan a couple of rides each month. GWRRA also has a Gold Book which list every member by state and city, If you have a problem while on road you look up
some one in Gold book and call them they will help you out .
The Rescue Plus has a 35 mile towing limit . And that can be a problem.

John

·
Registered
317 Posts
You get out of it what you put in it. If you take the time to learn how it works and participate in the functions it is enjoyable. That is if you have a local active chapter.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'm a member, but I haven't decided for how much longer.
The people are great, the Gold Book (listing of members willing to help) is probably worth the membership price, if you use it. Wingworld really isn't a magazine so much as a fancy newsletter (just my opinion!). It's about 1/4 letters from members thanking somebody for helping them out in a jam (remember the Gold Book), 1/4 safety instruction, 1/4 pitching the next WingDing, and 1/4 company line right straight from Honda sales literature. I'm not saying that's a bad combination, just understand the limitations. It gets pretty old after awhile. If you can get active in a local chapter, and use the Gold Book it's probably worth while.
The thing that bothers me is something somebody here on the board pointed out. In all the time I've been a member, I've never seen any accounting about where the membership money is spent! There are a number of very dedicated, very talented people donating there time to things like rider education, etc., but no accounting of what the salaries of their paid employees are! Sorry, I'll climb down off the soap box for now.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
I belong, but I don't know why. No chapters anywhere near me. Very few Wings in this area to boot. I can count two.

I have emergency towing / service with my bike insurance (Progressive).

Wing world is OK if you are looking for aftermarket goodies.

I used to look forward to the Tech pages, but now that Stu O is gone, I am not all that excited about it anymore.

Yes there is the Gold Book. I carry it, but have never used it.

I have a drawer full of their patches and stickers.I don't have a "red" vest for the patches and only my grand kid uses stickers in the house.

I would guess that it would be OK if you had a chapter within 75 miles, but if you don't, why bother.

Bulldog

T

·
0 Posts
Brian, you've got a pretty active and growing chapter right there in Sumter. Seems to be a pretty diverse group bunch of folks always having a good time. The Lexington Chapter is also quite active if you don't mind a little drive. In addition, we have the SC District Rally coming up April 28 - May 1 in Greenville.
Like others have said, you will get out of your membership only what you put into it. Visit a few chapter meetings and find one that you feel you'll fit in. If it had not been for a membership in GWRRA, I never would have attended Wing Ding last year and won a 2004 Wing. With that said, every organization has its good points and bad, give it a try then make up your mind if it is for you.
Ride safe,
Tom
Westminster, SC

·
Registered
949 Posts
I've only been a member for 3 yrs, never been to a local chapter meeting or ride, have used the Gold Book once and very much appreciated the help. If I find one article, column, letter or ad in an issue of Wing World that's of interest to me, I'm glad I read the mag - and that's almost always the case. Dues are cheap and I think I'm getting my money's worth.

Accountability and reporting is a requirement for not-for-profit organizations so there must be disclosures of revenue and expenses. I don't recall seeing annual reports but they must be available. Most organizations lump so many expenses together in their annual reports that the numbers are meaningless. There are provisions in the tax code that can result in not-for-profit corporations losing their tax-exempt status.

·
Registered
759 Posts
if you want ride partners to the nearest dairy queen...join gwrra :D When I first got my wing, I contacted the local chapter. Talked with the local head honcho. Heard about their ride schedule. Well...ummm....their ride schedule was to dairy queens and midweek dinners and then some more dairy queens. They hold one long ride a month. A whole 110 miles long, one way even, including three food stops!! Well, I forgot about becoming active in the chapter. I cant afford the vest and all the patches and metal hanging off of said vest. :lol: Having the gold book with your membership is invaluable in my opinion and worth the cost of membership. Sure gives a lot of peace of mind when you are on the road and something bad happens to your wing....heaven forbid. Wing World magazine?..well...this board is so far more valuable than any wing world magazine could ever hope to be. It usually does have a nice cover picture, not to mention those racey calendar models, :D Much better tow insurance is available by becoming a member of HRCA. Unlimited towing through their program.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I joined 1 1/2 weeks ago online, paid my dues on line and so far I have not heard a word. No email saying welcome or anything..nothing. Getting a little concerned. I called and was told to call back in a couple weeks...ok

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep, I can always count on this board :p .............. Thanks for the heads up. :x I wasnt aware of the 35mi tow limit! :x
:evil: I hate it when people take your $$$ and dont even give you a dang gone receipt.... thats just wrong :evil:
I didnt know about the Local Chapter here in Sumter :D Ill try and track em down......

:roll: Ill try to make up my mind.........someday........ I think Ill go for a ride,

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
I joined almost two years ago and have made a lot of new friends.

Every chapter is different.
My local chapter is very small so consequently they do not get as many rides in as I would like.
On the other hand the Seattle chapter is huge,and those guys ride almost every weekend,rain or shine.It's only a hundred miles or so to go hook up with them. :D
There is also a message board that I spend a lot of time on.Anyone can read the boards,but you have to be a member to post.

Bulldog,have you checked that out? There's guys on there that post more than you do! :lol: One of them lurks here,but never posts :p JOE :p
http://bbs.gwrra.org/scripts/board/discus.pl

I enjoy riding in groups as much as i enjoy riding alone.
So,I join a chapter ride when I can, and ride alone if there's nobody around to ride with.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Hey, you forgot to mention the great square dancing and sitting around talking about the new doodads you just put on your $25,000 trike that you've had for 6 months and put 20 miles on. Seriously, a lot depends on your local chapter. When I first got involved ten years or so ago, the local chapter directors were a really great couple that actually enjoyed riding. The next chapter directors were a local businessman and his wife who had been riding for a whole six months. The focus of the chapter went from riding to "couple of the year" competition. Something else to keep in mind, GWRRA is a BUSINESS. It may have started out as a group of folks who liked to get together and ride, but it is not that way anymore. There are non-profit groups such as GWTA, & AGWA, that are GoldWing focused and others that are not model specific such as HRCA and Southern Cruisers. Try it, you may like it. Some chapters sponsor a yearly MSF course and there are some other benefits. I prefer to get out and ride.

·
Extra Spicy Seasoned Member
1,448 Posts
GWRRA is not a "not for profit" organization. It is a privately held company and has been since the inception in the late 70's. It's spin off ,GWTA, is a member owned/operated organization. Their formats are very similar, magazine, gold book, rallies, meetings, chapters in the USA and Canada, etc.

·
Registered
476 Posts
When I first got my wing my SO would always find something to do that did not include riding my motorcycle so I wasn't riding as much as I wanted. A friend suggested I join GWRRA. Luckily there are several chapters in Central Florida and they are all active. There are rides all the time as well as tire kicks, rallies, rider courses and casual meetings that always turn to motorcycle talk. I like to ride with other people and share the experience so GWRRA has worked for me. Most the criticisms are valid, but the bottom line is that if you like motorcycles and you like people GWRRA is a good choice. It's a combination that works for me.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I joined last year because I wanted to go to Wing Ding, and it wasn't that much more to just join.

I went to one meeting, where a bunch of people seemed genuinely distressed that my bike wasn't as shiny as theirs.

My riding time is very precious, and if it's nice enough to scrub, it's nice enough to ride.

I've got three jobs and seven bikes.

I guess I like riding more than I like people.

·
Chard Member
12,969 Posts
If you're looking for a social club and not a motorcycle club then you will like it. I've been a member off and on for 20 years. I'm not active.

I hadn't been to a Chapter meeting for almost 17 years until last year. They introduced me as a new "Winger" (hate that word) and new member.
I informed them I was a member of the chapter when it was first started and I've been on Wings for 24 years. They tried to sell me all kinds of crap in the first few minutes I was there. Sat there in the meeting for almost 1 1/2 hrs and motorcycles might have been part of the meeting for 5 minutes. There was a kick tire after the meeting. They couldn't jump into their cars fast enough to leave. Most of them didn't even ride to the meeting. You will find motorcycle owners in GWRRA, but few motorcyclist.

I thought it was just as funny that day as it was 17 years ago. Sticking underwear on my head and dancing on a stage isn't my idea of motorcycling fun. I don't do "Cowboy" very well either. They all looked old to me when I was 34, now that I am 52, they still looked old! :(

Some people think GWRRA is the best thing since sliced bread. I'm glad they enjoy it!

·
Registered
451 Posts
I have to agree with Red, believe he hit the nail on the head. Nice social club but not really about motorcylists. But the Gold Book is a fine tool which others have pointed out.

Honestly, I believe the HRCA is a better organization but at the same time some of the GWRRA rallies are real good such as the one in TN. I can tell you these folks know how to put on a good show. I don't know about their riding habits, however.

I quit going to meetings, a total waste of time for me but different strokes for different folks. Like someone said most come in cars and when they do ride most travel in a four wheeler. Just not my idea of a MC club. You may want to try it just for some of the fringe benefits which have been very well pointed out.

Try it..It may be your thing. :p :priflag:

·
Registered
218 Posts
GWRRA - as with any group, there are some good and bad issues.

Joined in 1985 while stationed with the US Air Force in California. Met a heck of a lot of good people whom I would not have met if it wasn't for GWRRA. Participated in a lot of rides to unique locations that I probably would not have done if it wasn't for GWRRA.

Went overseas and eventually returned to Florida. GWRRA quickly hunted me down and welcomed my family into the community. Same situation - good people, good rides. Joined the Forida Drill Team; Now that was a lot of fun!! Became really active in the Chapter as an Assistant Director.

Relocated to Maryland and enjoyed the local chapter. Good folks and fun rides.

Went back to Florida (other coast this time), but did not participate in the local chapter. This decision was based on a couple of factors, but mostly revolved around the "political" atmosphere that we experienced in the California Chapter, the Florida Chapter, and the Maryland Chapter. All had their share of "political infighting" which we decided to skip during our second tour in Florida.

Currently back in Maryland but haven't "rejoined" the local chapter. Mainly because of job constraints, but there is still memories of the "clicks" and "infighting" that caused us to rethink GWRRA.

But, still a member and we will probably become active in the local chapter this year. As a whole, they're a great group of people who have fun and do good things within the community.

Think about it -- 28 years in the military and I knew that for the most part, we could relocate to just about anywhere in the US (probably the world) and would automatically be welcomed by a group of individuals who represented every walk of life, who are willing to accept you without question because you share the same interests of riding a Goldwing. That my friend, is a pretty comforting thought!

Would I join -- without hesitation! Would I become an active chapter member -- yes. And now that our move and with our retirement from active duty and our new careers are moving along, time will allow us to do so.

Just my two cents.

Steve

·
Registered
267 Posts
Looked at the posts and I have to say that it's pretty well covered.

My .02 cents is HRCA (Honda Riders Club of America) $39.95 per year and the best part is their site it's ok for information but the real jewel is their towing policy..

I called their offices three times got different people each time and they all answered my question the same way.

"Lets say my bike craps out in Billings Montana and the clostest authorized Honda Dealer that does Goldwing work is in Helena, couple hundred miles away will my bike and I be taken to the authorized shop in Helena ?

All three said that's what HRCA will do. The distance is not an issue just as long as the tow is to an authorized dealer.

Others have posted that trying to get HRCA help on a holiday is a joke, sounds realistic but other than that as a possible down side how about the other 355 days a year that are not a holiday.

My second suggestion is GWTA (Gold Wing Touring Association ) I belong to both organizations and find that the Touring Assoc. in our area are active and do go on long runs . Definetly not a Dairy Queen group but my group /region B Golded Gate Wings chapter Z are a fun group and know how to put on the miles and have fun doing it.

Whatever you choose don' plunk your money down first. Go on a ride or two with the group you are thinking of joining the you'll see the real deal and not the hype of someones opinion.

Just MHO Buck Yellow Wing :lol: 8) :lol: :goflag: :yw1: :yw1: :yw1: :yw1: :yw1: :yw1: :yw1: :yw1:

·
Registered
279 Posts
GWRR

All Chapters are organized differently. Several of our members logged between 10,000 and 18,000 miles of riding over a one year period. Most of the GoldWing owners I know that are members of GWRR ride LOTS OF MILES. If you want to polish chrome and ride between eating establishments join HOG.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts