GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may have missed it, but GWRRA had a article in May from a member neither pro nor con regarding darkside.

The thing that the author stated was he did his online research from several sites. All the folks that were current darksiders were informative, courteous, and shared honest information good or bad. Going darkside was not pushed, just discussed.

Going darkside is a choice. Not something we do recklessly, or take lightly. We do not convince others to do, only share information and experiences. If it were dangerous I know I certainly would not do it. So far I believe we have proved the reverse of the nay sayer's, in quit celebration.

·
Registered
374 Posts
What he said...:thumbup:

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
Here's the article, in case you missed it

Member Article

submitted by:Bill McIlrath
Life Member, GWRRA & The American Motorcyclist Association.
Former Contributing Writer, Wing World magazine

MANAGING RISKS, CROSSING OVER TO THE DARKSIDE
Recently we crossed over to the Darkside. For the uninitiated, this has nothing to do with Star Wars or buying a Harley. We now have a car tire on the back of our Wing. To be more specific, a Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP. This is a high performance winter/snow run flat, zero pressure tire. The decision to make this change came only after many hours of studying darkside websites, including a very in-depth article explaining the differences between motorcycle and car tires along with their corresponding wheels.

One thing I enjoyed during my research was a lack of divisiveness, the kind you might come across discussing politics or religion. The Darkside sites I visited posted the negatives along with the positives so anyone can visit and learn without having the pros and cons pushed upon them ad nauseum. Instead of propaganda, one finds facts along with answers to questions. If you cannot find an answer, I have no doubt you could join the site and ask with numerous members waiting to help. Nowhere did I find someone trying to tell you to make the change or which tire to buy, only a plethora of first-hand experience waiting to be gleened. One answer I got was about insurance. Seems at least three companies are only concerned with the tire being approved by the DOT.

So now we have a tire on our wing that costs less and will last more miles. Nice, but I am concerned with safety not money. Another positive is when Lyn and I hitch up the Bushtec and head off on vacation, this tire should soak up the bumps better due to the need for less air pressure. (For this specific tire, GL1800 riders seem to run from 28 solo to 32 two up). The bottom line is prior to this, had our rear tire suffered a catastrophic loss of pressure at highway speeds, we likely would have ended up crashing. Now we have a tire that is designed not to go flat when it looses all its pressure. Of course, with motorcycling there are always risks ... you need to do your best to manage them.

(Editor note: GWRRA and Wingin' It do not endorse this story. It is one Member's opinion and does not reflect the opinion of GWRRA or Wingin' It. Please send your comments to me here as we will run more about this subject in the next Member Feedback section of Wingin' It.)

Surprises me that it actually got published....

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Nice write up!:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts
How did that get published ?
Are they starting to see the force ?

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts
Wingworld June 2014 page 063. Bike with Tulsa windscreen. Sure looks like and Alpin to me.
I will one ya . Blue and green wing on the cover I think last year is a darksider . I got it framed in shop.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I may have missed it, but GWRRA had a article in May from a member neither pro nor con regarding darkside.

The thing that the author stated was he did his online research from several sites. All the folks that were current darksiders were informative, courteous, and shared honest information good or bad. Going darkside was not pushed, just discussed.

Going darkside is a choice. Not something we do recklessly, or take lightly. We do not convince others to do, only share information and experiences. If it were dangerous I know I certainly would not do it. So far I believe we have proved the reverse of the nay sayer's, in quit celebration.
Where is this article as I can't find it, anyone???

·
Registered
2,479 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
In the "Wing World" magazine
I looked in the June Wing World mag and can't find it, can someone help me please????

·
Banned
2,290 Posts
How did that get published ?
Are they starting to see the force ?
Are they starting to FEELthe force ???

Fixed it for you young OBI WAN !

·
Registered
758 Posts

I looked in the June Wing World mag and can't find it, can someone help me please????

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
All we need now is a tire company to run with it ... Using the same technology and produce a tire specifically for the heavy touring bike....ie.. Slightly more rounded... leaving everything else alone as it works just fine..... :doorag:

·
Registered
758 Posts
GOT IT :bow::banghead::banghead:

·
Registered
820 Posts
You can also go to get all past and present newsletters

http://gwrra.org/enewsletters.

Great for looking up past articles. Bad, that it's hard to read in the bathroom.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts