GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Darksiders,

See the latest "GWRRA Insight e-Newsletter" that just got published. They are really pounding on us Darksiders -- went and published that faulty info on a Car tire with a thin sidewall and Goldwing Rim vs Car Rim.

I have a good mind to cancel my membership to GWRRA -- I will ask them to refund my Membership that I just renewed. (SIC)

Darkside is the Best,

Northern-Dancer

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Hi Darksiders,

See the latest "GWRRA Insight e-Newsletter" that just got published. They are really pounding on us Darksiders -- went and published that faulty info on a Car tire with a thin sidewall and Goldwing Rim vs Car Rim.

I have a good mind to cancel my membership to GWRRA -- I will ask them to refund my Membership that I just renewed. (SIC)

Darkside is the Best,

Northern-Dancer
Already cancelled with them, and our chapter disolved too. They (those in the "know") need to get off their sorry azzes, out of the A/C and see what's really going on in the Gold Wing world.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
RE: Wing Ding Display Car vs. Bike Tires (At WingDing & GWRRA Insight e-Newsletter)

Fellow Darksiders,

I have sent the Following E-mail to all the Leadership at GWRRA as listed:

I have used a lot of the info posted in this Forum to assist with this E-mail, actually copied and altered posts of others to suit my experiences since they are better at expressing themselves in writing then I am.

To: [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]

CC: [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]

Subject: RE: Wing Ding Display Car vs. Bike Tires (At WingDing & Now GWRRA Insight e-Newsletter)

Attention GWRRA Miss-Informed Leadership,

I have ridden 45,000 miles with a car tire on the rear of my GL1800. In those 45,000 miles with a car tire on the rear of my Gold Wing I have never had single incident or issue attributable to the Care Tire. I have can go around corners, swerve, accelerate and brake as well as I could with a Motorcycle Tire on the rear of my Wing.

Why do I use a Car Tire (CT) on the rear of my Gold Wing? I am convinced that it is a safer alternative to a Motorcycle Tire (MT). The CT's I have used are rated for heavier loads than are the Motorcycle Tires "designed " for the Gold Wing. The CT's run cooler than those same MT's designed for my Gold Wing, another safety margin. While all CT's are not alike neither are all MT's, I am convinced that CT's in general provide better traction in all situations that MT's. I mean better braking traction, better traction for acceleration and better traction for cornering. I have ridden on hot roads, cold roads, flooded roads, dirt roads, gravel roads, across wet and dry grass, I have slogged though huge mud puddles in greasy Highway Construction Detours and even had my Goldwing wheelie when trying to get it to break loose or spin on wet pavement, all with a CT on the rear of my Gold Wing. During that entire time I never once wished I had a MT in its place.

Those who are worried about the CT's bead sealing on the GL1800's rear wheel should be aware that the general experience of those that ride on them has been that a CT holds air pressure far better than a MT. Those that believe the CT's are unsafe in their handling characteristics are simply not aware of the facts. Fact: a CT handles differently that a MT to be sure, but not necessarily worse, just different. Fact: with currently One Thousand Eighty Two registered CT users (known as Darksiders (See: http://www.murgie.com/dsi_roster.txt ) and I am registered as #610), there has not been a single documented case in which a CT on the rear of a GL1800 has been reported to be either the cause of, or a contributing factor to a crash or accident of any type, not even one. The same is true for all the other brands and models of Motorcycles that are turning to CT's as their rear tire of choice.

Please do not try to convince me that using a CT is an unsafe alternative to a Motorcycle tire when it is not. That is simply the baldest of lies. There are just too many riders that have ridden too many safe, uneventful miles with a CT on the rear of their Wing for anyone with a conscience to say that it is unsafe. I believe it has been proven to be a safe alternative. For those that do not feel a test group of over one thousand is statistically sufficient to prove the practice as "safe" then I submit that the numbers so far at least have proven it is not an unsafe practice. (See: http://gl1800riders.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31 )

I understand that the use of a CT on a Motorcycle is currently controversial but since GWRRA continues to use my membership dues to put out false hoods and misinformation and to actively campaign against the use of Car Tires on Motorcycles instead of focusing on the things that are truly dangerous to our members today then I have to cancel my membership #262912 and ask that you refund my membership fee.

Sincerely,

Northern-Dancer,

Ron Amos

Cell: 613.291.7730
Orleans, ON, Canada
http://www.nerdsonsite.com/

·
Registered
755 Posts
:agree::thumbup::congrats::lol::bow::p
:banghead:GWRRA
:biker:
:flg::flg::flg:

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Ron

Why give GWRA the free press? Seems to me that membership in their organization has become old and stodgy. I think they are trying to find some relevance by publishing articles that are controversial.

I would advise that you just let your membership expire without a peep.

There was no need for the study/article, it is clearly stated that the use of c/t's is dangerous in the Goldwing Owners Manual!
You ain't got a dog in the fight, crawl back in your troll hole.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Ron

Why give GWRA the free press? Seems to me that membership in their organization has become old and stodgy. I think they are trying to find some relevance by publishing articles that are controversial.

There was no need for the study/article, it is clearly stated that the use of c/t's is dangerous in the Goldwing Owners Manual!

Not one word about riding on them. Only that it could be dangerous mounting them. Nowhere does it say that you could have an accident causing injury or death by riding on them. Just sayin..

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
:popcorn: check

:coffee1: check

TV Remote check

Let the fun begin, I'm ready!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
If the folks in our club weren't cool about it I would let my membership expire. I am the only Darksider in the club and thus far they haven't said anything bad about it. As a matter of fact, the trike owners joke that they are Darksiders too!

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Ron

:wrong: Just wanna get somethin' started??????????

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
what did that dumb a s s ducbob post again U have him on the ignore list that troll.

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

:coffee1::coffee1::coffee1:

Hi Wing Nut!:thumbup:

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Let me see if Honda recommends against using a c/t because of the mounting, Honda needed to go a step further and say not to ride on a c/t. Interesting, with that logic the Owners Manual is going to now come in 24 volumes.

My favorite is going to be:

Do not insert pump nozzle in arse because you will get the nick name of flaming arse hole!

So, how did it feel when you inserted that pump nozzle?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Hi Darksiders,

Darkside is the Best,

Northern-Dancer
Northern Dancer - I have not seen the latest GWRRA Insight Newsletter Would you mind posting the link or send me a PM with the info. I am most interested in this article since I know the person who created the display that was Wing Ding

Ride On!

Smitty

·
Registered
168 Posts
Let me see if Honda recommends against using a c/t because of the mounting, Honda needed to go a step further and say not to ride on a c/t. Interesting, with that logic the Owners Manual is going to now come in 24 volumes.

My favorite is going to be:

Do not insert pump nozzle in arse because you will get the nick name of flaming arse hole!
ducbob!!

Good to see you again!

We get it about the Goldwing Owner's Manual. Indeed a most profound document.

Once again, would you share with us your opinion of the Darksiders fender logo? Do you think it is cool?

We can only assume your continous silence on the matter to indicate you do indeed dig it.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
How do you feel about triking Wings and pulling trailers and adding a sidehack, all also frowned upon by Mother Honda?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Northern Dancer - I have not seen the latest GWRRA Insight Newsletter Would you mind posting the link or send me a PM with the info. I am most interested in this article since I know the person who created the display that was Wing Ding

Ride On!

Smitty
Here You Go:

Dear GWRRA Member:

The most recent edition of the "Insight" e-Newsletter is now available at:

http://med.gwrra.org/newsletter/newsletter.html

Mike Stiger
Director of GWRRA

·
Registered
876 Posts
And there are all kinds of references in medical journals concerning the risks of plastic surgery, but that didn't stop you from dishing out 25k so your beloved SO could take the risk, did you?

·
Registered
876 Posts
The story, it was sold as helping her self esteem, the truth is that I am a dirty old man and like them perky!
Well running a BMT helps my confidence level and I like my rear tire to stay perky.:tongue:

1 - 20 of 95 Posts