GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about joining GWRRA. The only problem is that there are none or few active members in my area.
I like the concept of supporting our "sport". I also like the sound of some of the benefits.
I sell life insurance for the same company that GWRRA features for it's riders coverage.
Are many of you members?
Do you feel that you "get your moneys worth?"

mike

·
Registered
174 Posts
stapler101 said:
Do you feel that you "get your moneys worth?"
Hi Mike,

I posed this question along with the HRC a week or so back. I finished up going with the HRC as my main concern was roadside assistance and the HRC deal is better than GWRRA's for the bucks as it is unlimited tow mileage to the nearest dealer.

<g> Haven't tested it yet but...

FTW

·
Chard Member
13,056 Posts
stapler101 said:
I like the concept of supporting our "sport". I also like the sound of some of the benefits.
mike
If you want to support the "sport" of motorcycling I would spend my money with AMA or anyone besides GWRRA. GWRRA promotes itself, not motorcycles. The GWRRA benefits aren't great unless you are active in a local Chapter. If you want the benefit of towing, HRCA has a much better plan and they include trip interuption.

I've been a member off and on since '84. No benefit to me any longer since the internet. At one time Wing World was worth getting just to stay updated on the Wing. Now it seems like the magazine, Wing World, is more about Tommy and Sarah meeting JoJo and Martha meeting for lunch then riding a whopping 50 miles that afternoon.

Good Luck....

·
Registered
151 Posts
I am a member of all three, AMA for the support it gives to motoercycle riders, HRC for the roadside assistance, and GWRRA for the great people and great times. I enjoy group riding and Wing World, so if I had to choose between HRC and GWRRA, GWRRA would always win out.

·
Registered
276 Posts
As others have stated, it basically depends on what you are looking for.

Our local GWRRA Chapter is very active. They have a number of rides planned each month, plus "fix up nights" where you get together to work on bikes, compare assessories, etc., Kick Tires (where you get together a local restuarant to just shot the breeze) and get involved with other Chapters.

Lately, I have been doing most of my riding alone, so I have not been all that involved (my wife passed away 10 months ago and I have just not felt like being with a group yet). But it is nice to know that the group is available if I desire.

While I have no first hand experience, I have heard that the GWRRA and HRC roadside emergency packages have "holes" in certain areas and that many people keep both.

Michael

·
Registered
676 Posts
Hey Red, my thoughts exactly. To support motorcycling join AMA first. For benefits join HRCA. I am member of AMA(Life Time), and HRCA, GWRRA, and GWTA.
Local chapter social life plus a lot of very good friends with similar interests seems to be the main benefit of GWRRA. With this web site I no longer need Wing World Magazine. To each his own.

·
Extra Spicy Seasoned Member
1,448 Posts
Mike, give Doug Slusher a call at 817 656 2749. He is the state director for GWTA in Texas and he might be able to put you in touch with a chapter close to you.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
i feel its a lot of money for the magazine, which is the only benifit to me of the gwrrc.

i will keep the hrc membership going because of the emergency road service.

loren

·
Registered
615 Posts
Mike, I belong to GWRRA and HRCA. The magazine and the Gold Book are worth it in my estimation. It makes me feel alittle safer out there. Joy

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the great replies. My question was almost as bad as "which oil is best"!!
I have an idea.
Why don't all who participate in this board move to the same place and start our own club.
It would be the greatest because it would have the greatest people!!

mike

·
Registered
5 Posts
I get a 10 percent discount on my cycle insurance from Dairyland. That helps offset the cost of membership.

Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
22 Posts
yellowwing1 said:
Mike, I belong to GWRRA and HRCA. The magazine and the Gold Book are worth it in my estimation. It makes me feel alittle safer out there. Joy
Yep. IMHO, Wing World and the Gold Book are worth the cost of membership. I have my road side service through the AMA.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Couldn't make up my mind so I'm a member of all three, AMA, HRCA and GWRRA. There was a little about each that I liked so here I am. Lifetime members of GWRRA and AMA. AMA since '78 and GWRRA since '81.

·
Registered
227 Posts
My top five reasons for joining the GWRRA:

5. Need an excuse to wear my square-dancing clothes.
4. Would rather attend meetings than ride.
3. Can't get enough of those Harley jokes.
2. Too many young whippersnappers in the other clubs.
1. They wouldn't let me in the Shriners.

p.s. Just kidding!

·
Registered
47 Posts
We have a Chapter in Texarkana which is very active but there are others in Tyler, Sherman, or Farmersville you might want to consider due to the distance. Have you looked at the GWRRA Web Site? It's not real intuitive but if you look under Operations, Region H, you'll find a list of Texas Chapters and points of contact. The one benefit no one mentioned is the Gold Book that is a listing of all the members in the association that have agreed to help other association members. You can use the info in the Gold Book to contact them for help, information, road assistance, towing, etc, it has codes that let you know what type of assistance each member can/will offer.

·
Registered
533 Posts
GWRRA is out!

Like so many others above, I belong to all three.

AMA is a strong player in keeping our rights from disappearing and sponsors various events for all styles of bikes and of riding. Their lobbying is fantastic and I try to play an active roll in this activity. They have an optional towing plan. If I had to choose just one, this would be it.

HRCA - up to $75 reimbursement for training and towing is a part of the membership fee.

GWRRA - I've been a member for 6 years, but am letting it expire in July. The WW is nice, but I get nothing else out of the organization. I like to ride fast, do a lot of twisties and long trips. I simply am on a different wavelength than they are. Nothing wrong with the organization though (nor, me either), it just does nothing for me.

Paul, you devil. I missed your post earlier and when I read it now, I laughed out loud. Shame on you:twisted:

I will stay involved with the AMA and HCRA (maybe) but I get my real biking joy out of the US Military Vets motorcycle club. We are close, share lots of life experiences and ride our bikes like we stole them.

Hope this helps.
Deadeye :priflag:

·
Registered
816 Posts
Stapler101

Stapler101, per your comment that you sell life insurance for GWRRA's endorsed insurer, I assume you mean ANICO. My email is listed, give me a shout.

OzarksF6

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
I've been a member of HRCA for several years now. I'm not too excited about GWRRA as most of the members in the local chapter are old enough to be my Grandparents... and the rest of them are old enough to be my parents.

Unfortunately, that's just the way it is.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I must be lucky. We have a fairly young crowd in our growing chapter. There is a bunch of us that really like to ride. We even have Iron Butts and other long distance riders. Several of us ride 15,000 to 20,000 per year. With the 1800 I am seeing a lot of new and youger blood getting into GWRRA.

For me GWRRA is worth the $$$. Wing World mag, Gold Book, Message board and our chapter work for me.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts