GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is, being a member more benificial for "which" organization?

·
Registered
762 Posts
Depends on what your looking for. If it's for the towing I would go with HRCA . I personally did not renew my membership in GWRRA because it got too political for me. My # is was 14827 so you see I was with them a long time I rode with the orig bunch. But then thats just me . Lots of good folks out there and chapters. I actually belonged to both but GWRRA's tow package sucks.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I am dropping both this time around. My bike insurance policy includes towing/hauling so the only real benifit to either organization is a duplicate of what I already have.

I usually have no problem finding a group to ride with if that is what I decide to do. I believe the GWRRA is turning into a benifit for the few in Arizona with the rest of us paying for it.

Off my soap box, guess I will go for a ride.

·
Registered
8,574 Posts
For me it's GWRRA. I heard the towing package needs work but that was never why I joined. I've met a ton of great people from all over - mostly NW US (Region I). I also started a local chapter since there wasn't one here already. I wanted to meet other Gold Wing riders and go on occasional group rides. I still love riding on my own but sometimes group rides are fun.

At this time I'm not really interested in all Honda motorcycles - just Wings. I got a HRCA membership with my new Wing but I don't intend to continue when it expires.

Lastly, I hold no resentment, hate or anger against anyone who has more than I. As long as I think I'm getting value for my $$$, which I do, I'm happy. 8)

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'll renew my HRCA this year but not my GWRRA. To each his own, but the GWRRA didn't offer me much I was interested in.

G

·
Irrespective of if you're a GWRRA member or not, you'll be equally welcome at a GWRRA get-together. The chapters get no support from GWRRA HQ so throw in a few bucks into the chapter 50/50 and you'll be just as welcome as any paying member.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
I a member df both GWRRA and HRCA.

For me, GWRRA provides a gathering and schedulled rides for local friends. They also put on the Wing Ding, which is a great place to meet old friends. You are not required to be a member to participate in these events.

HRCA provides a better towing service, re-imbursement for my yearly ERC training, and some other 'member only' benifits like model previews, discounts, etc.. But best of all, they sponser the Honda Hoot! You don't have to be a member or even ride a Honda to attend the Hoot. :)

Len

·
Registered
762 Posts
As far as being a former GWRRA member you will still be invited to your chapters outings and rides and parties etc. Yah that will work for a little while only took about 3 months for me and I was no longer notified of any functions so thats not true either. If there is an official chapter ride and your a non member the chapter can't invite you along because of GWRRA insurance regs. There again it's political BS cause i'm insured whether I',m a member or not. GWRRA does not pay my meds or bike insurance, it's to cover their a$$. They just want your money. As far as the Mag goes it's 85% advertizing anyway.
But the people are great for the most part and thats nation wide include Canada and Europe

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
In asking the question, you are trying to compare apples and oranges... Actually, it's probably more like trying to compare apples and puppies. The two have so few similarities.

The HRCA is a group set up and run by Honda. If you ask Honda for a corporate donation to a charity, they will refer you to the HRCA. If you ask Honda to help pay for rider education, they will refer you to HRCA. If you ask your Dealer to toss in a tow-package with the sale, they will refer you to HRCA. The first year of HRCA membership is included with the purchase of any new motorcycle. If you go into a dealer that sells multiple brands, purchase one of the other brands, and ask the dealer to register you with HRCA, I don't think it would happen. The HRCA magazine is a good read, but it is a Honda rag through and through.

The GWRRA is a private group of GoldWing (and Valkyrie) enthusiasts. The only requirement to join is to agree with the goals and values of the organization. They do encourage rider education, but will not pay for it. They do encourage individuals to give to charities, but they do not give corporately. GWRRA membership is not automatic; you have to apply and pay your membership fees.

The GWRRA has problems. HRCA has problems. Honda has problems.

So, in the final analysis. HRCA is a branch of Honda that handles the "good corporate citizen" things that many corporations do and the GWRRA is a social and educational group. The only similarity is that they (along with everyone else) has problems.

By the way, I'm a member of both the GWRRA and the HRCA and plan to continue my membership for as long as they'll have me.

·
Registered
8,574 Posts
Top said:
As far as being a former GWRRA member you will still be invited to your chapters outings and rides and parties etc. Yah that will work for a little while only took about 3 months for me and I was no longer notified of any functions so thats not true either. If there is an official chapter ride and your a non member the chapter can't invite you along because of GWRRA insurance regs. There again it's political BS cause i'm insured whether I',m a member or not. GWRRA does not pay my meds or bike insurance, it's to cover their a$$. They just want your money. As far as the Mag goes it's 85% advertizing anyway.
But the people are great for the most part and thats nation wide include Canada and Europe
My take on this is that GWRRA Chapters are for GWRRA members. When I get a potential member they are always welcome at our get togethers as guests and I will add them to my mailing list. But after a while, if they don't join, then I assume they don't want to belong. There are no "dues" for our chapter but people do need to be GWRRA Members.

Most magazines are full of advertising. Wing World doesn't have the market cornered on that. There is some good stuff in there for those who are interested.

Non-members can attend rallies and Wing Ding but it does cost more.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I have HRCA and have benefited three times in using the emergency road service, all with good results. Simply put, HRCA is like AAA for motorcycles.

I will never be in GWRRA again because all you are doing is making three people in Phoenix rich. Anyone remember Fred Rau's two page editorial on GWRRA? However, the local members are really nice people.

Rather than having to debate this, why not consider AMA and MRF? These two organizations are fighting for our rights as motorcyclists. I am a lifetime AMA Member and a sustaining member of MRF. I want to help these organizations eliminate health care discrimination, keep roads open to motorcyclists, work for safety, and so forth.

·
Registered
8,574 Posts
John Garner said:
I will never be in GWRRA again because all you are doing is making three people in Phoenix rich. Anyone remember Fred Rau's two page editorial on GWRRA? However, the local members are really nice people.
Thank you but making people rich isn't "all" we are doing. We are meeting great people with common interests, we are attending and organizing actvities and we are riding. The price is fair. If you like it, join. 8)

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I'm with Bill Anzik. I get my annual dues back in value to me personally in the form of the magazine, meeting great people, doing great rides, technical and the like.

In fact today, I led a function that we called "Electrical Items Maintenance Day" and those that participated received WAY MORE than the cost of their annual dues back in valuable hands on/personal assistance. Who cares what someone in Phoenix makes if we're receiving value at the Gold Wing Ownership level.

All that being said, I'm also a GWRRA, HRCA, and AMA member. Each has their value. For the HRCA the $75 ERC is clearly worth the $40 or $50 annual dues. It's a no brainer. For the AMA, the value is a bit more intangible for me.

·
Registered
8,574 Posts
Kandgo said:
You need to be more truthful Will Anzik , I got curious and asked a local Chapter Director here about not being a member and I am thankful he is honest, as you were trying to elude to is { if members don't pay they don't play} and I know you are instructed to do so from your higher up state and district and even higher ups to be that way! I don't hold anything against GWRRA, as I stated I have enjoyed everything and have met nothing but great folks, it is the monetary cost for doing so that rubs me raw. There should not be a cost to enjoy other folks of like minded hobbies, and there should not be a cost involved in Rider Safety levels just to be able to say you are a certain level of rider. Again I state I have thoroughly enjoyed the local chapter, but to have to pay to play is wrong, and I was informed that even though that is a unwritten policy that it is not enforced around these parts and for you to dance around the statement you made about that if they don't join that you assume they don't want to be apart of the events is saying that you don't want them to be if they don't pay?? The truth is that in most chapters if you don't pay, they do indeed take you off any mailing list, phone list and will not invite you to do so until you are a paying member. Well I also know for a fact there are allot of people out in the world who ride and enjoy riding with others that don't belong to a group that wants a guy to pay for the privileges. I will continue to do things with the local chapter and will continue to ride with the folks I have met and in reality this past year I have ridden on more rides with GWRRA folks outside of the chapter than in. To each his own on GWRRA, Good luck,,,Rick
If members don't pay... they are not members. You are calling me a liar - what did I lie about? Read my first paragraph again. Guests are always welcome at Chapter Gatherings. But to continue to participate you must become a member.

One way to look at things is how you say - that there should not be a cost to enjoy other folks of a like minded hobby. However, those people at GWRRA events are like minded, not only in love for Gold Wings, but also like minded in that they are GWRRA members. Yes, you have to pay to be a GWRRA member.

I want everybody to join the GWRRA and be part of our chapter. But if they don't, I can't extend to them the same privileges as the rest of us who do pay. It wouldn't be fair. And to be honest, if people think that joining our Chapter and a decent magazine aren't worth $3.75 per month, then I don't see why they'd want to be there anyway.

Do you think the rider and safety patches and pins should be handed out for free? I don't. I'm willing to pay for them and so are other GWRRA members. It's cheap. But as far as I know there is no rule that says you have to participate in that at all anyway.

You are correct - to each his own.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I belong to AMA, HRC, and GWRRA. I dropped GWRRA for awhile because I had no wing, but re-joined when I went back to one. I belong to these organizations because I WANT to belong to them. NOT because of the opinions of others. It's great for discussion I 'spose, but make up your OWN mind and find what you like.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
not intended to hi-jack this post but, we have AMA MOTOW how is this plan?

ride safe

·
Squating Member
7,055 Posts
I'm a member of AMA and several other organizations and most, if not all, have dues.

My BK Chapter has dues, it supports the chapter and organization for operational cost etc....

If you want to join, so be it, if you think it's too much, don't join...that's what this country is all about..

I don't think many groups would survive if the members didn't pay dues of some sort, even 5.00 a year to support the group.

Granted, some groups or organizations are over the top on dues, and that's where making a choice comes into play, too much?? walk away.

No one has to join anything ( except the tax group!!!)

And as in most organizations, you get back what you put into it....weather it's GWRRA,AMA,BK,FOP.......

1 - 20 of 22 Posts