GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its that time of year again to renew my GWRRA membership but I have seen that Honda now has a club HRCA. Which one is better and no I'm not going to join both.

Does the HRCA put out a monthly magazine like the GWRRA? I would prefer to stick with the GWRRA but on the other hand I 'm wondering what the HRCA has to offer?

TIA,
JJr

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
HRCA has nothing to offer except a lousy add/magazine flyer a couple of times a year. GWRRA has a decent mag. and gives a tow pkg. I'm not a huge fan of GWRRA but for the money it's worth it for the mag/towing.

·
Registered
905 Posts
save your $$$ and go with your cell phone .. and the knowledge that "IF" your Goldwing ever does break down ..
You can rent a U-Haul, Budget or other appropriate rental truck/van, load the wing into it ..
and drive it to the nearest stealer .. or home to either be fixed by you or your favorite stealer.
In the meantime .. save your $$$ and use it on Cats-Cade or some other worth while riding adventure.
Never forget .. you ride a Wing, the most reliable bike on the road today .. and they're damn near industructable !

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
save your $$$ and go with your cell phone .. and the knowledge that "IF" your Goldwing ever does break down ..
You can rent a U-Haul, Budget or other appropriate rental truck/van, load the wing into it ..
and drive it to the nearest stealer .. or home to either be fixed by you or your favorite stealer.
In the meantime .. save your $$$ and use it on Cats-Cade or some other worth while riding adventure.
Never forget .. you ride a Wing, the most reliable bike on the road today .. and they're damn near industructable !
that all sounds fine

but many of us actualy ride our bikes,and many places i go to, have no cell srvice,and no uhaul for hundreds of miles

then what??i use the honda warranty for road service

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
. I'm not a huge fan of GWRRA but for the money it's worth it for the mag/towing.
but gwrra membership doesnt include towing

thats a huge extra payment for that, and an extra payment for your wife as well

so an opinion on if the gwrra is worth joining, has to have that factored in, if you are calling it a benifit

then it gets pretty $$$

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Two Options

If you are an AMA member, you can get a roadside package.

If you are a AAA member, you can get RV Plus which includes motorcycles.

Either option will be much less than GWRRA. As the related post 'mini rant on GWRRA' states, they are into your billfold.

While the people at the local level are very nice, GW is all about money.

HRCA is not very useful, as they have dropped road service, and the magazine has become worthless.

Better and timely information is on the Internet on sites such as this one.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow thanks all for the input, I have been thinking about the AMA and I think that is the direction that I will go. The GWRRA mag is pretty lame.

Thanks again,
John

If you are an AMA member, you can get a roadside package.

If you are a AAA member, you can get RV Plus which includes motorcycles.

Either option will be much less than GWRRA. As the related post 'mini rant on GWRRA' states, they are into your billfold.

While the people at the local level are very nice, GW is all about money.

HRCA is not very useful, as they have dropped road service, and the magazine has become worthless.

Better and timely information is on the Internet on sites such as this one.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
I believe basic towing comes with GWRRA membership. Towbuster plus is an additional charge if you want it. I think AMA just announced a new plan,I don't know the info. Renting a truck/trailer sounds good but the last time I broke down a tow insurance(HRCA) saved me over three hundred dollers on just the tow. No rentals anywhere close to where I was.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I agree with the usefulness (or uselessness rather) of both magazines. And now that AMA has the road service for US and Canada, it looks like a better package. And I think their magazine serves the general riding population alot better. HRCA just became completely useless with the deletion of the road service. Unless you want a Honda product brochure (AKA RedRider) a few times a year.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have been a GWRRA member for years and never heard of a basic towing package being included with the membership. It was always extra and from what I remember when I had it was no good unless you broke down more than 100 miles from home.........

I was just reading the AMA site and they include towing if you sign up with the agreement that they can automaticly renue your supsctiption every year. Which does not sound too bad. The thing is if I broke down I'm leery about some of these jokers that the send you to rescue your bike...

I believe basic towing comes with GWRRA membership. Towbuster plus is an additional charge if you want it. I think AMA just announced a new plan,I don't know the info. Renting a truck/trailer sounds good but the last time I broke down a tow insurance(HRCA) saved me over three hundred dollers on just the tow. No rentals anywhere close to where I was.

·
Registered
323 Posts
:doorag:As was pointed out to me on another thread, road side assistance is included with progressive insurance, if you have progressive.:p

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
As Bald Eagle pointed out, AAA has RV (motorcycle) towing for just a little more than their regular service. When HRCA dropped the towing option I went with AAA as I already have the Auto towing Plus service and have used it several times since 1978 when I first joined. One good thing about AAA is it has a very long established infurstructure for years. Almost every towing company in the country is aware of AAA, where these other towing services are just starting up, like AMA.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
GWRRA just increased their towing distance to 100 miles

AMA towing is free if you sign up for their auto-renewal BUT it is only for 35 miles.

I have both just "in case" option.

HRCA is going to be history shortly. First no roadside service then no Honda Hoot. . . . .

·
Registered
73 Posts
I recently called HRCA to verify that I did have towing service as is indicated on my membership card through 11/09. There has been discussion on here that it was automatically discontinued. Their response was: yes, I was covered and it would pay $50 toward my towing fee. That's almost worthless. I've been meaning to call and cancel membership and get a refund, but I keep forgetting to do so. I'm positive when I joined they would tow you to the nearest Honda dealer free of charge.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
You can rent a U-Haul, Budget or other appropriate rental truck/van, load the wing into it .
and drive it to the nearest stealer .. or home to either be fixed by you or your favorite stealer. !
Sure, Yah, right --- try doing that anywhere near Death Valley or Bishop, California or any number of hundreds of other places around the country where there is no one way rental (truck, car or trailer) anywhere within several hundred miles and your over 500 miles from home. You'll very quickly realize that your saved money is going to get used up very very quickly and then much much more to boot. At that point, you need to definitely have an unlimited mileage towing program or something very very close. You'll also want to have something that will provide some per diem coverage for your hotel /motel, meals and short term car rental expenses while you are waiting for you Wing to get repaired (assuming a breakdown or you have to have your Wing repaired at some out of the way dealer location). What would you do if you had to wait 4, 5, or 6 or more days for your Wing to get fixed and you had to wait for it to be repaired? Believe me, things get somewhat expensive and you may have to have some expensive repairs to pay for if you don't have a warranty or extended warranty coverage.

GWRRA is a so so tow coverage, but more for the people who want to join a local chapter and participate in some potentially fun activities if you have a great - well run local chapter that does indeed have interesting knowledgeable members that also like to ride and do fun activities that involve motorcycling. Each chapter around the United States is different. Some are fantastic and others may need people who are willing to make an effort to make their chapter a good or even great one (a chapter is as good as the sum of it's members who actively participate and want to help to mate it fun and enjoyable with great rides and motorcycling activites). Some members join and don't want to also step forward, get involved, and share in some of the duties and responsibilities of what is required to make a chapter great. Some chapters are fantastic and great fun!

If you only interested in towing, and no social or group activites, save your money and get something like the KOA tow program, which has both unlimited towing for vehicles (including motorcycles) and a great per diem reimbursement (not unlike the old HRCA towing program).

DaleC

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
IF you have Progressive Insurance, let it ride. Their towing will cover "To the nearest QUALIFIED DEALER"......same as HRCA.
Make your choices accordingly. I'm dropping HRCA this year, and only carrying Progressive. Last 3 years, I had both.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
but gwrra membership doesnt include towing

thats a huge extra payment for that, and an extra payment for your wife as well

so an opinion on if the gwrra is worth joining, has to have that factored in, if you are calling it a benifit

then it gets pretty $$$
Ya I guess $80 for Family membership that includes rescue plus the road service that covers ALL your Vehicles (Include trailer) for ALL family menbers in the house hold and up to 100 miles towing along with discounts for other companies, the mag ect... Just an awfull cost. One tow ..one or two discount more than pays for membership.

O

·
0 Posts
I agree with the usefulness (or uselessness rather) of both magazines. And now that AMA has the road service for US and Canada, it looks like a better package. And I think their magazine serves the general riding population alot better. HRCA just became completely useless with the deletion of the road service. Unless you want a Honda product brochure (AKA RedRider) a few times a year.
What's it mean....

"AMA Champion ($39) is the new, best-value membership. It costs the same as the previous “Full” membership and includes all existing member benefits. AMA Champions also receive free AMA Roadside Assistance on all of their vehicles when they opt-in for auto-renewal of their memberships."? Source

1 - 20 of 32 Posts