GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
News from National:

Don Brock has just announced his resignation as Executive Director for the
Gold Wing Road Riders Association effective Thursday, September 21, 2006.

As we receive further information, we will pass it on to you folks.

Warm Regards,

Ron and Karen
Region "E" Directors

·
Registered
830 Posts
I was hoping since he was new things would change, I enjoy all my friends with GWRRA but I can have them without paying dues.

N Ga Rider

·
Registered
544 Posts
Hopefully with new leadership the GWRRA local may actually begin to have few organized rides. The only rides my group does is to a local restaurant. The membership has been declining and will continue to unless they start actually doing some real rides!

·
Registered
327 Posts
The Bear said:
Hopefully with new leadership the GWRRA local may actually begin to have few organized rides. The only rides my group does is to a local restaurant. The membership has been declining and will continue to unless they start actually doing some real rides!
I agree, down here the local chapter goes out to the local restaurant once a month. nothing else on the calender. Oh on occassion it's someones birthday...again more food... :chef2: :chef3: :chicken: :eat1: :eat2:

not bad if you ride for a couple of hours to get to it...perhaps i'll join a chapter a few hundred miles away to at least get a couple hundred miles riding to get to the restaurant... :shock: :biker:

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Bear, don't hold your breath!!!! Same $hit another day. When Don called me up and asked for the details about just what $hit the DD of Michigan was doing and how they were treating the chapters I was told heads would roll. After two weeks I called him back up and nothing was ever done. Just brush it under the rug and he didn't want to talk about it. Once your around rats for so long you end up either being eaten or you become another rat!!!

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
The Bear said:
I doubt a change at that level would do much of anything at a Chapter level. It's up to you. Have you volunteered to be a Ride Co-ordinator or suggested any rides to the current ride Co-ordinator? I'd be willing to bet there are others in the group who'd like to do something else too. You all could quit or work for change. Local Chapters are what the participants make of it - I'd say that's true for any organization.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I was with GWRRA for over 20 years, one of the originals. Things got too political for me to enjoy it any longer. You can suggest rides and set them up all you want if nobody shows or they have other things going you only do it so long before you hang it up been there done that. I too can enjoy my friends without paying dues.

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
It will be interesting to see what he does in the upper ranks. My bet is....nothing will change. Just another warm body sitting behind a desk.

If I knew how JH was before I ever met him, I doubt very seriously IF I would have stayed in GWRRA so long.

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
Top said:
I too can enjoy my friends without paying dues.
I can understand that. But in my case I didn't know any other Gold Wingers when I got started in 2003. Now I know many! And even started a local Chapter. My state has gone from 3 Chapters to 6 in the last 3 years. However, participation in rides is like pulling teeth I'm finding - but I'm not giving up. I like to eat too. I've seen just as many pictures of people eating on these boards as I have riding - maybe more. I know people need to eat. So I really don't care if the group rides, eats or both. I'm up for either - there's nothing stopping me from either. I've ridden to other cities to join in their dinners too. I ride AND eat. :D

Hopefully we'll grow even more next year with Wing Ding so close! :D

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
wingman57 said:
It will be interesting to see what he does in the upper ranks. My bet is....nothing will change. Just another warm body sitting behind a desk.
We should be asking what we can do to help. Nobody can make any changes without support. It's too easy to sit back and criticize but it's not productive at all.

·
Registered
816 Posts
GWRRA

It's amazing that GWRRA has grown and become as large as it is today. However, to me it seems that without very strong organizational support at the local level, maintaining and growing membership is a tough nut to crack. Our chapter has many good people in it and good attendence at meetings. But getting things organized and getting new people to step up and take officer positions is difficult.

I think they have to start offering more reasons to become a member. Some of that comes from corporate and some from the local chapters.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I.M.Winginit said:
[quote="The Bear":3pqakkn8]Hopefully with new leadership the GWRRA local may actually begin to have few organized rides. The only rides my group does is to a local restaurant. The membership has been declining and will continue to unless they start actually doing some real rides!
I agree, down here the local chapter goes out to the local restaurant once a month. nothing else on the calender. Oh on occassion it's someones birthday...again more food... :chef2: :chef3: :chicken: :eat1: :eat2:

not bad if you ride for a couple of hours to get to it...perhaps i'll join a chapter a few hundred miles away to at least get a couple hundred miles riding to get to the restaurant... :shock: :biker:[/quote:3pqakkn8]

Winginit......

I don't know where you get your info, but Chapter FL2-E, Miami Wings is just about the most riding Chapter in Florida. We were just presented the Region A Wanderer for the 4th time in the past 5 years. We have won the District Wanderer 6 times in the past 8 years. We win that by riding! A usual weekend for us is to north Georgia and back (ask Arn Butt Bill).

We just had a lunch ride last Saturday, a meeting yesterday and a Kick Tire is coming up in next week.

We will be riding to Tampa and back on September 30th (about 600 miles round trip in one day).

I don't know who you are. I sent you an email once but you never replied to it. Have you ever been to one of our meetings or events? Have you ever been on one of our rides?

Do I know you?

Denny Brodbeck
SCD FL2-E, "Miami Wings"
GWRRA # 23057

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Zonker said:
I.M.Winginit said:
[quote="The Bear":310suqji]Hopefully with new leadership the GWRRA local may actually begin to have few organized rides. The only rides my group does is to a local restaurant. The membership has been declining and will continue to unless they start actually doing some real rides!

not bad if you ride for a couple of hours to get to it...perhaps i'll join a chapter a few hundred miles away to at least get a couple hundred miles riding to get to the restaurant... :shock: :biker:
Winginit......

I don't know where you get your info, but Chapter FL2-E, Miami Wings is just about the most riding Chapter in Florida. We were just presented the Region A Wanderer for the 4th time in the past 5 years. We have won the District Wanderer 6 times in the past 8 years. We win that by riding! A usual weekend for us is to north Georgia and back (ask Arn Butt Bill).

We just had a lunch ride last Saturday, a meeting yesterday and a Kick Tire is coming up in next week.

We will be riding to Tampa and back on September 30th (about 600 miles round trip in one day).

I don't know who you are. I sent you an email once but you never replied to it. Have you ever been to one of our meetings or events? Have you ever been on one of our rides?

Do I know you?

Denny Brodbeck
SCD FL2-E, "Miami Wings"
GWRRA # 23057[/quote:310suqji]Bad Zonker!
A- You announced a Bandit Run ahead of time; X will kick your butt now.
B- You're not coming to Wingstock? Steve P already told me but dang!

Winginit, they ride. They don't have a "callendar" though. Their best rides are spur of the moment stuff led by Denny, Rod, or me...

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
William Anzik said:
It's too easy to sit back and criticize but it's not productive at all.
Exactly! :yes1:

William Anzik said:
[quote="The Bear":23v24okx]Hopefully with new leadership the GWRRA local may actually begin to have few organized rides. The only rides my group does is to a local restaurant. The membership has been declining and will continue to unless they start actually doing some real rides!
I doubt a change at that level would do much of anything at a Chapter level. It's up to you. Have you volunteered to be a Ride Co-ordinator or suggested any rides to the current ride Co-ordinator? I'd be willing to bet there are others in the group who'd like to do something else too. You all could quit or work for change. Local Chapters are what the participants make of it - I'd say that's true for any organization.[/quote:23v24okx]

Dude, you're reading my mind. :wink:

William Anzik said:
Top said:
I too can enjoy my friends without paying dues.
I can understand that. But in my case I didn't know any other Gold Wingers when I got started in 2003. Now I know many! And even started a local Chapter.
3 for 3. I met a whole bunch of wingers when I joined, and they have become friends.

Having said all that, I don't really do as much of the socializing part as others, and I feel too many things involve a "carry in", which has been getting to me. I'm just picking and choosing my involvement, and step up to lead some rides. That way at least I know know I'm making a contribution to the riding part of GWRRA, which is the part I like. :D

·
Registered
839 Posts
I would have to agree with above. Don't know how National personnel changes will effect you at the local level, it won't make people ride more or plan more.

Do what we are doing and what some of the other chapters are doing. Plan rides on your own, plan events, plan don't wait for others to plan, and of course have fun. To many people sitting on the sidelines and complaining and not helping make the changes needed to have a great chapter.

We took over our chapter and are seeing a rise in people attending rides, we just had our annual charity run and it was huge as usual, we are having more people show up for our socials and we have lost members coming back. So I'm hoping I'm doing something right. Just got to work at it and try to do the best.

Yes we still have those people that say the want to ride more and never show up for a ride, those that are all talk and even those that complain, but you know you can't please everyone.....Just do the best and hope it works, we have a couple of successful chapters here in Virginia just like in florida.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Chapter visitation is the key.
Chapter meeting have to be at times that are easy for outsiders to come visit. Wandering plaques and such help to add incentive.
Just like Catscade & Wingstock, we're looking for reasons to RIDE, not sit around and talk about riding, play ring-toss, or b!tch.
If all chapter meetings were short, lively, and had a meal, people would visit more.
There should be a 1 hour time limit on meetings...

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Arn Butt,

1) No Bandit Run is planned.

2) I had every intention of coming to Wingstock but other circumstances got in the way.

3) We do have a calendar.

4) Meetings are supposed to be limited to "1 Hour" but that's very hard to do when you got so much going on.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts