GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Without getting into "bashing", can anyone tell me the basic differences between the Roadside Assistance programs offered by GWRRA and HRCA.

Im sorting through a pile of information on different organizations, so please try to be objective.

Thanks...

·
Chard Member
13,063 Posts
If your main concern is "roadside assistance" there is no comparison. HRCA is far far better. Unlimited towing miles and trip interuption coverage is just a couple of them!

Another thing might be AAA. I think they have a Rec Vehicle policy from what I have heard. A complete auto/rec package from them might be better.

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
Red said:
If your main concern is "roadside assistance" there is no comparison. HRCA is far far better. Unlimited towing miles and trip interuption coverage is just a couple of them!

Another thing might be AAA. I think they have a Rec Vehicle policy from what I have heard. A complete auto/rec package from them might be better.
I have the AAA auto/rec policy. Any vehicle I am in is covered...Even used it once for a friend stuck on side of road with his bike....shhhhhhhhhh

I got AAA because of peace of mind. I know a LOT of places would honor AAA..

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
BrianH said:
I'm sorting through a pile of information on different organizations, so please try to be objective.Thanks...
have to wonder why?

You'll get a free year of HRCA when you purchase that new wing.

Dennis

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Road Side Assistance

Have both HRCA and GWRRA...but added AAA after a failed rescue attempt in the middle of nowhere Arizona. Have had one very positive HRCA rescue previously, but it was in the city, some idiot locked his key in the trunk second day he had the bike :shock: !

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
since you are buying a new bike the first year of HRCA comes free

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Sorry I could not make a comparison. I have all three and have never had to use any "outside service" for towing for any of my motorcycles!

Having all three is cheap assurance though considering the cost of a Gold Wing. What I am saying is, if you can afford a Gold Wing, why be picky about the insignificant things in life.

Member of AAA since 1984. Member of GWRRA since 1985. Member of HRCA since 1992 shortly after it started.

I have used AAA quite a few times for my cars and pickup but never had a problem with any of my Wings.

I do like GWRRA better that HRCA since I feel it has lots more to offer, other than towing. GWRRA Wing World magazine 12 issues a year ... compare that to Red Rider quarterly publications.

As a member of GWRRA, having the Gold Book is like having friends all over the country (the friends you just haven't met yet). Living where I do, I can visit and ride with GWRRA members in Ohio, Indiana and Kentucky.

While riding in Alaska last year we used the Gold Book to make several contacts and we had a great time with them.

HRCA events are too few and far between for me. Whenever I am not out touring I can still go to the Hoot or Homecoming if I want to go.

Used my GWRRA Gold book back in 1986 when I ended up with a bad tire on the way to St. Louis from Cincinnati. We got out the Gold Book and called a nearby member who happened to have a truck and a trailer. He came about 30 miles picked the bike and us up delivered the bike to a Honda dealer in town and us to his house where his wife had made some iced tea and dinner and we used their guest room that evening. We still exchange cards at Christmas every year.

One thing about it, whatever you decide to do is "up to your liking or disliking."

Ride to be retired! It is great!
:)

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
I've been happy with the Rescue Plus. I have 3 teenagers driving, and purchased the upgrade. I've used Rescue Plus 3 times in less then 6 months. Two times for locked keys in the car, and 1 time for a flat tire. (all kids).

I was with another rider a couple years ago when he had a blow out and we were in the boonies. Tow Busters did him good. They had no place to tow the wing since the closes dealer was closed. We got a hotel room, and the Tow Buster driver kept the wing on his truck, and then we met him at the local dealer the next morning.

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
I presently have HRCA... i will not suscribe to more than one.. my Dad always told me a fool and his money will soon be parted..

cosmic

·
Registered
229 Posts
I have Good Sam, haven't used it yet so I really can't say if it's good or bad. I got it mostly for the RV but it covers anything I own or drive.

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
I have HRCA, and also Progressive Insurance. Progressive will tow your disabled bike to the "Nearest Qualified Facility", even if it's 150 miles.

So, If you have HRCA and Progressive, you have double coverage for towing and roadside repairs.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Even though I have both the GWRRA and HRCA plans, hands down the HRCA plan as a towing package is the far better one to have in the event of need. Unlimited mileage to the nearest Honda Dealer or authorized Honda Repair facilitly plus it can cover authorized per diem expenses like food and lodging. You aren't going to do better than that in towing. All the same, experience has taught me that situations can always come up where it is nice to have options, and if it is a breakdown out somewhere in the remote, I'm going to like to have all the choices I can.

Keep in mind the HRCA plan also reimburses up to $75. annually for the cost of any MSF course so spending $39. annually for a HRCA plan is the best bargain you are going to find in motorcycling --- i.e. a no brainer.

Of course, the GWRRA plan has it's benefits too aside from just the towing package so I utilize those as well.

DaleC

·
Registered
589 Posts
If you plan on towing a trailer, I don't think HRCA covers the trailer. I know that GWRRA (with Rescue Plus) does because I have had to use them twice.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
I have not given this subject much thought recently. You have made me rethink my situation. I have USAA for my vehicles and house as I am retired military. I had Progressive for many years but they raised my rates for unknown reason...I did not have any claims with them. I went with GEICO for a lower price. Did not actually think about towing of the trike...I belong to GWRRA and HCRA (wife has 4 wheeler for riding the back 40) Guess I better call them and see what, if any, I have... What are the extra costs? Thanks.

·
Registered
750 Posts
The main reason I belong to GWRRA is the towing service, but I've heard quite a bit of negative stuff. One of the GWRRA executives broke down on the way to Wind Ding last year and they never did get a tow. He wrote about it in one of the magazines.
I hope I never need it!!!

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
I tried using the GWRRA towing a couple times. All I can say is don't hold your breath, I am not kidding.

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the cooments folks..., lots of good information.

It never occurred to me that AAA (or CAA in Canada) covered bikes. I think the only diff is that AAA requires the RV coverage, but CAA only requires their Plus coverage.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
DaleC said:
Keep in mind the HRCA plan also reimburses up to $75. annually for the cost of any MSF course so spending $39. annually for a HRCA plan is the best bargain you are going to find in motorcycling --- i.e. a no brainer.

Of course, the GWRRA plan has it's benefits too aside from just the towing package so I utilize those as well. DaleC
I use the other benefits of GWRRA too. One of them being the "Gold Book" ... It has the name and phone number of every GWRRA member who could or would help or he/she knows someone who could. Most of the time only one call takes care of the situation.

I have used this Gold Book and as I said in an earlier post on this particular subject, the rescuer would not accept a penny (or anything else). He considered it a pleasure to assist us who were out of commission with a bad rear tire.

I just have not had to contact HRCA, Tow Busters or AAA but having several options is better than "putting all your eggs in one basket!"

JMHO

1 - 20 of 20 Posts