GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Next question....
Since I've been on a Harley for many years... is the GWRRA similar to the Harley HOGS membership?
I was only a hog member for a couple of years but, when I was I was able to hook up with like minded riders. You know... some people like to run wot all day, some people like to stop at every historical marker. Lol
I found some value in it. Do guys find value in the GWRRA? And can you join even though you are buying a used bike?

Registered
I was a member for about 10 years and it does have it's benefits but if you are looking for Hog ride mentality then I think you will be disappointed. In the years I was a member all the meetings I attended were mostly politics even though I met a few great people that my wife and I still ride with. I stayed a member mostly for the Gold Book and the roadside assistance but I have heard from others that the benefits have changed and the devil is in the details. I hope this helps and welcome to the family.馃憤

Registered
Next question....
Since I've been on a Harley for many years... is the GWRRA similar to the Harley HOGS membership?
More differences than similarities...

I was only a hog member for a couple of years but, when I was I was able to hook up with like minded riders. You know... some people like to run wot all day, some people like to stop at every historical marker. Lol
The demographic is changing, and not for the best.

I found some value in it. Do guys find value in the GWRRA? And can you join even though you are buying a used bike?
No. Yes.

I'd strongly suggest doing a little more reading by doing a forum search for that acronym.

Registered
Here, the Chapter is getting quite small wit maybe 4-5 members going for the ride. Bigger events are better attended but I dont like group rides so joined because the tow service is better than my AAA . There are also a few members that will help with maintenance ie tire changes but they wont do a 2018+ so ...

15 year Member
Those 鈥済roups鈥 are EXCELLENT for social gathering, riding.... not so much, too many stops to fix hair, pee breaks and coffee.....

nice people though..

mattbcnv

Administrator
Check out the local chapter. I understand that some of the chapters are great, while some are just social gatherings. Find a chapter that shares your tastes. From what I've seen they don't really care what you ride.

Glen

Premium Member
I joined GWRRA because I wanted to find others who liked to ride and share the experience. There are a couple things to look at when joining. One, how good the GWRRA is has everything to do with the Chapter and its members. A good chapter will welcome you, ask what you're interested in, show you some good rides, give you the help you need when you need it, and so on. Unfortunately, they're not all like that. Mine was the former, and here I am, the Chapter Director and District Ride Coordinator. There are Chapters where what you ride determines where you line up in the pecking order. Ride a 1200, get ignored, ride a 1500, you're tolerated because the 1500 was the Buick Roadmaster of bikes, ride an 1800 and you're top of the food chain, newest, latest, greatest. The best way to research it is do the 4 month free membership, attend a meeting here and there and see if that Chapter is a good fit or if you're better off on your own. At the end of 4 months if it isn't for you, no harm, no foul, no bill. If there are multiple Chapters, take the time to check each one out and find the one that fits what you're looking for. If you find one that fits, you'll enjoy what you do. Another thing to look at is the membership. We are aging, just like most of the members here. The younger crowd seek crotch rockets that do 160 mph, not two wheeled Cadillac's that allow you to ride for 8 hour days and are comfortable at 35 mph or 90 mph. Point is, groups of 30 somethings, maybe even 40 somethings aren't standing in line to buy Goldwings.
If you find the Chapter that fits you, that's good. Get the Gold book and the Rescue program and you're set wherever you go. The Gold book alone is worth its weight because anywhere you find yourself, there's someone willing to help just a phone call away. That's my experience, but like anything, your experience may vary.

Registered
+1 on visiting the local chapter(s). We have several in the DFW area. Most are doing great, even with the shutdown. Last year we regularly had 50+ members at each monthly meeting and 2-3 rides a week with around 20 bikes. We still have 15-20 at our meetings and just had a ride today with 11. We also participate in other chapter rides.
You meet a lot of good people on Goldwings.

Registered
GWRRA.......Dying a slow death....Old members are getting way too old and can no longer ride.....The GWRRA business model has been a complete failure attracting young riders...

Registered
GWRRA.......Dying a slow death....Old members are getting way too old and can no longer ride.....The GWRRA business model has been a complete failure attracting young riders...
I have no experience with the GWRRA however I do have experience with something similiar, The American Voyager Association for those who ride Kawaskai Voyagers. I was a state prsident a long time ago. Like any other group there was politics, and I'm not talking about presidential, national, etc. politics just politics in the club. I understand that the GWRRA had some politics too (and pretty much any social group). However I don't think the business model is a problem but rather the younger generation is not interested in inp

Reactions: Tramppiper

Registered
Was a member of the American Goldwing Association (AGWA) for several years. Was an active chapter with great people our age. When we moved to a new place, there was no AGWA chapter so we did our own thing. Moved to Florida and eventually found a GWRRA chapter full of old people with mostly rides to eat. CD's wife was a control freak and got angered when things didn't go as she planned. After seeing that once, we opted to do our own thing again, especially since the area of Fla we lived sucked for riding, IMO. Kept the membership for the road side assistance, Gold Book, and monthly magazine. Decided those benefits were no longer worth the cost.

As others mentioned, you need to find a chapter with like-minded people. If you enjoy day trips, over nights, RTE, whatever, that is the crowd you want to associate with. GWRRA doesn't seem to care if you join a chapter closest to you or not.

Registered
I have been a GWRRA member since 2004. Joined the Texas Y2 chapter in 2005. At that time we had 40-50 members. Had great time and experience, unfortunately we ended up with a Chapter Director with a god mentality. He stated on more than one occasion that " it's my way or the highway ". At the last meeting I attended it almost came to blows between him and another member. 35 members walked out of the meeting that night and never returned. Some of us contacted the home office of GWRRA. They refused to remove him. Texas Y2 is no longer.

motorcycle cowboy
I don't belong to GWRRA. Thought about it once but declined. I do enjoy WingDing though.

Registered
All I can say is try it and decide for yourself. Some love it, some don't. A few even hate it, for some reason. I've been a member since 2003 and in that time participated with chapters, started a new chapter and served as Chapter Director, and now I serve as an Assistant Chapter Director. I've enjoyed it and will keep participating for the foreseeable future.

I like Wing World Magazine and I like getting the annual Gold Book, which lists members and phone numbers for when you're travelling and need assistance. I've met many good people from all over the U.S. and Canada over these years and attended a couple Wing Dings.

Registered
I have been a GWRRA member since January 1994. I was involved with a GREAT chapter. Among other things, we had a "Garage Night" where we did lots of smaller service work on members bikes. Saved some of the mechanically/electrically impaired members a lot of money. As a few others have mentioned, there are some good benefits from being a member. I have attended about 10 Wing Ding's all over the country. Maybe it's not for everyone but it has served me quite well.

Registered
Next question....
Welllllll , the great is when you are a member your name and phone and phone number gos in A little book with all other members around the country. Which is nice because most gold wing rider will do a lot to help a winger on a road trip and need a little help or advise. Weekend rides are basically the same with a little more curiosity.
After that initial few weeks it all about more fees (after your yearly fee) and how YOU. Can help the CLUB make money to sent back to mother country Arizona. And it never seem to stop. This got very annoying for me and I did not renew my yearly membership. They called me for years that sucks. Then I realized the leader or local Boss organizer got paid a fee for being local club captain!
The wingding cost money to get in event. Never at Daytona beach bikeweek . That has been my experience anyway.

Registered
Every chapter has their own personality. If there is a common theme, I would say safety is the highest priority. There are a ton of training opportunities for riding skills, group riding, first aid and CPR, as well as seminars on many aspects of riding such as riding in heat, night riding, trailering, etc.
You can progress through levels of riding commitment and become a road captain that qualifies you to be a ride leader.
OR, you can just be a member and not commit to anything.
Our chapter, we try to ride once during the weekend (or more) and meet weekly for dinner once a week. All these activities are optional. I enjoy the people in our chapter. Some of the nicest people I know are in the chapter and have grown to be close friends.
I can not stress enough that YOU DO NOT HAVE TO OWN A GOLDWING TO BE A MEMBER!!! We have Yamaha, Suzuki, Indian, CanAm, and even a Slingshot in our chapter. We take all commers!
If you are on the fence, you can try out the group a couple of times and see whether its a fit for you before joining.

Registered
Some of the best "closest" friends I have are because of my association with the GWRRA organization.

I can't begin to tell how much money I have saved on bike maintenance due to Huge Garage Facilities and help from other members.

It may not be for everyone but it has been very valuable for me. Your mileage may be different.....!!!

Shucks, I even rescued a Gold Wing Rider from Minnesota on a Saturday night at 10 pm when his bike quit running in Silver Spring, MD. (Just outside Washington, DC)

He had been to a function in DC and was trying to get to the Washington Beltway to find lodging for the night.,

His battery had failed (yes his bike quit running because the battery shorted out). Such things can happen...!!

I took the battery out of my Gold Wing, installed it in his bike and had him follow me home for lodging that night.

Sent him home Sunday morning after breakfast (with my battery).

This is not an unusual situation, other member have don even more to help a stranded rider when out of town.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts