GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will be mounting a Garmin 376C using a Dash Mount from J&A Accessories on a 2004 Wing and was wondering what alternatives I have for placing the rather large GXM 30 Antenna. I see Fred attached his to the unit but his mounted on the handlebars. Does any one else have the dash mount setup if so where did you put this rather bulky antenna? I assume it has to be out in the open and not tucked away somewhere.

TIA
Donnie

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Since it's just an XM radio/Antenna in one unit I assume it works like all of the regular XM antennas. You can mount it anywhere... in the open, in one of the pockets, upside down behind the meter panel, in the hump of the trunk, etc. In other words, whereever you can find to put it that YOU like and is convenient for you, go for it.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Makes sense

I was thinking it might mount there on the dash shelf behind the GPS but there doesn't appear to be enough clearance between that location and it touching the windshield. I have a 2004 wing with the stock windshield. I will reexamine ...thanks for the input. It does have to be out in the open with unobstructive view of sky doesn't it?

Donnie

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Donnie, here's a pic of the antenna mounted on Paul Shivers' bike. He's since modified the GPS on the mount itself, lowering it down a bit, but this shows where he put the antenna.

·
Registered
9,133 Posts
Donnie,

I have Jon's mount on my bike as well and the GXM30 antenna will fit nicely right behind the 376 on top of the dash mount. I went a step further and used a black wire tie to help hold the antenna to the mount.

Here's a link to the picture of mine. It's a little fuzzy, but you'll get the idea.

Garmin 2730

Bartman

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks All

Excellent ...picture worth a thousand words. Thanks to all for help on this.

Donnie

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
First off, the GXM30 antenna does not pick up as well as the regular XM antenna. Here is what I did. Did yours come with the metal bracket that the antenna screws into from the bottom? If so here is what I did. I put mine on top of the right brake reservoir. Bought longer screws. Screwed the mounting bracket onto the reservoir then screwed on the antenna from the bottom. It now picks up perfect. It has no obstruction at all and looks actually pretty good. I have tried the dash thing but I needed the room for my radar detector.

·
Vendor
22,225 Posts
Toyo said:
First off, the GXM30 antenna does not pick up as well as the regular XM antenna.
Huh????

My Weather Radar and XM reception is never lost at all using the GXM30 antenna. On the other hand, my normal XM Roady loses signal all the time, even under heavy trees.

I have use the 376 in deep canyons in Colorado and never lost the signal.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Fred, Really. I wonder if it has anything to do with location in the U.S. I have a spot on a road close to my house. The road kinda goes between a hill, like a canyon I guess. In my van I have the small square Xm antenna, it would not lose signal at all going thru this. When I put my GXM30 on top of my van it always goes down to one bar and loses audio for about 10 seconds. I have had this happen in many different road conditions. I still have the old XM hooked up, I can see both signal strengths at the same time.

I was listening to a guy on channel 171 that works for Xm in designing these antennas. His name is Henry Hill. It was a very informative interview. He was discussing the problems that truckers are having with XM antennas. They just came out with a new one for truckers.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Mine is a SkiFi. I dont know if that matters. I do know that Xm used two different type of antennas. My wifes antenna looks exactly the same except the plugs are different.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Mine loses reception any time I'm around trees or mountains. I have it mounted behind the unit on the bars so it is not in a very good location. But it is convenient for removal and the cables are strapped to the bracket. I need to make a new mount that puts it above the unit. I occasionally have placed it on the dash but that doesn't seem to help much. If this is the best the unit can do I wouldn't subscribe to XM radio if not for the weather.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
I think it all depends on the angle at which the antenna is pointed. I believe unlike the GPS satellites, the XM satellites are in geosyncronous orbit, therefore the antenna should point south for best reception.

On the trip to Alaska after we got north of Haines I had real difficulty getting reception while my buddy's Roady did much better. However, when we got south of the Canadian border my GSM 30 seemed to hold the signal longer when we got down in the canyons.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts