GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've ordered a Garmin Zumo 550 but have maybe an interesting question or two:

If I supplementally purchased ANOTHER Garmin GPS, say, the 2730 which already includes a separate GXM 30 antenna, could I use that single antenna in either GPS's at my discretion and be charged for only the one XM radio subscription?

Ultimately I guess I don't understand and am ultimately asking if it is the Zumo and/or 2730 I'd be registering (and paying the monthly subscription on) with XM.com, or is it in fact the GXM 30 that I am registering and paying the monthly subscription for. Yes, no? I'm thinking that the two GPS units only have the software interface and it wouldn't matter to XM.com or the subscriber service where I'm using the GXM 30 since I can only use it singly (i.e., with 1 GPS at a time) anyway.

Thanks for any help you could give.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I can't speak from experience with the XM30 antenna.

However, your XM subscription is for the Radio ID number on the XM radio. Since that'd be the XM30 Antenna, then you wouldn't need two subscriptions to use it on another GPS. That's assuming that both GPS units use the XM30.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LVWolfman said:
I can't speak from experience with the XM30 antenna.

However, your XM subscription is for the Radio ID number on the XM radio. Since that'd be the XM30 Antenna, then you wouldn't need two subscriptions to use it on another GPS. That's assuming that both GPS units use the XM30.
That's what I thought. And yes, it'd be the Zumo and the 2720 (or 2820) which both/all use the GXM 30.

The thing is, my wife just spent some comparable money for a trip to Hawaii, so I'm in a GREAT position right now to justify this little expenditure and get the other GPS too. Shhhhhh....!

Anyway, thanks for your thoughts!

·
Registered
262 Posts
XM radio

You will have to have two XM subscriptions, the
antena has nothing to do with it.
The radio's have a number you give to the people at
XM and they unlock the radio's

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: XM radio

Whiskers said:
You will have to have two XM subscriptions, the
antena has nothing to do with it.
The radio's have a number you give to the people at
XM and they unlock the radio's
Yikes -- that directly contradicts what the first responder said. I know on both my Roady2's the "Radio ID" I gave was on the back of the unit. So ultimately and logically I searched for the source of this "Radio ID." I just found the GXM 30 manual on-line and it actually shows the "Radio ID" is on the bottom of the GXM 30 itself, and states that is the number that you must activate. So -- for activation purposes -- that seems to indicate that this product "is" (like my Roady) the actual receiver and what one registeres irrespective of which GPS (of many available) you use it with. Otherwise I don't believe there any Radio ID's on the GPS units themselves. Is this not correct?

Do you say this because you yourself have the GXM 30 and weren't able to use it with another GPS? I'm just trying to nail down what's what because it would mean the difference between the expense of purchasing a separate GXM 30 or not and it certainly doesn't cheat XM.com out of any money since I can only use the single antenna/receiver with whatever conduit GPS interface at any one time. Thanks!

·
Registered
707 Posts
I think the ones ultimately being able to answer the question are the people from Garmin.

As far as I can tell from the impression with the 378 and GXM30 the ID is coming from the GXM30 and not the GPS itself. I assume that the Zumo & StreetPilot are the same. If that is the case you will need only one subscription when using one GXM30 antenna that is shared between the units.

The easiest way is to try a GXM30 antenna from somebody on another (locked) unit and see what happens.

Reiner

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
The GXM30 antenna IS the GXM receiver. That's why the radio ID number is on the bottom. A different GXM30 antenna would have a different radio ID number. This is confirmed in the GXM30 manual. There is no radio id number on the GPS unit.

The 2730, 378, etc. do NOT have an XM radio in them. That's why they need the GXM30 antenna and part of the reason why that "antenna" is so expensive.

That is also one of the problems with XM on Garmin GPS units. While you can easily move the GPS from vehicle to vehicle, you also have to move the GXM30 antenna or buy a second and pay for two subscriptions.

For instance, I use our Quest in all of our vehicles. Each truck is set up with a cradle, power and an aftermarket GPS antenna. All I have to do is plug the GPS into the cradle of whatever vehicle I'm using and I'm ready to go... no sticking antennas on the roof and stringing wire through the doors.

With the XM enable units (which I'd like to have just for traffic/weather stuff), I'd either have to buy a GXM30 for a couple of hundred bucks+subscription for EACH vehicle or move the antenna to each vehicle as I go. You can guess what I'd be doing. :lol:

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I appreciate everybody's comments. I believe I have enough input now to corroborate that my thoughts were correct. Thanks all!! :D :D

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
The XM radio registration goes with the GXM30 Antenna. I have a 376C and when my GXM30 Antenna developed a cable problem, I sent it back to Garmin for repair. Not only did they repair my original they sent me a new one (I guess for a backup).

I would like to set one up permanently in the hump in the trunk lid so the wire doesn't break again. The problem is that each GXM30 requires an XM registration. I have a weather / radio subscription which costs about $37/mo. Soooo ... it looks like the antenna is going to continue to make the trip between the car and the wing. The second antenna sits as a spare in case the cable breaks again.

·
Registered
206 Posts
LVWolfman is correct. I talked to XM Radio and they said that they GXM30 is an XM Radio with it's own Subscription ID for activation. You can use it with as many devices as you want that will accept it such as the 2730, 2820 or the ZUMO 550.

The only thing the Garmin has is an Interface to communicate to the XM Radio/Antenna.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts