GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Somebody on the Zumo 550 Forum just posted this nifty solution for mounting your bulky GXM-30 antenna/receiver to your scoot. It's an "antenna bracket" that evidently fits between the back of your cradle and the RAM ball/plate attached to it with the standard 2 or 4 holes. It can be obtained from CycleGadgets for about $25 (of if Jon can get it; I'd rather buy it from him). I apologize if you already know about it.

Here's the description and link from CYCLEGADGETS:

CycleGadgets antenna bracket for Garmin XM30 antenna. Fits R-A-M 2-hole or Garmin 4-hole cradles for Garmin 2730/2820 & 376C/378/478 GPS receivers. Positions antenna directly behind the GPS. The bracket is powdercoated mild steel, so the antenna's magnets will stick, but it also includes screws to fasten the antenna to the bracket for better security. Includes a Velcro strap to bundle antenna cable under the bracket.

At first read I was thinking it wouldn't work with our Zumo because it's mount is wholly different than those for the GPSs mentioned above. However, on second read, I'm pretty sure that when they say "4-hole cradles," THAT portion of the cradle and the holes are fairly standard. So I looked at MY mount. I already have the RAM plate attached in the 4 holes and so what I think I am now CORRECTLY gathering is that this "antenna holder" consists of a tongue-like portion that simply fits IN BETWEEN the back of the Zumo mount, and the RAM ball/plate on the back of the mount. Ingenious! Yes, I think that WOULD work!!

Otherwise, it's the exact same concept as the RoadyHolder which is wonderful: there's that "shelf" for the antenna (actually it's a receiver WITH an antenna), as well as a space behind and below to wrap up and semi-hide the extra cord. I LOVE IT! I hope this is of help to any of you GXM-30 owners or prospective owners.

Jon --

·
Registered
206 Posts
Hey Blade, I just had another problem with my 2730. It has condensation inside of the screen. I called Garmin and they said they would fix it for me if I sent it to them and waited 2 weeks. I said no way can I wait that long and after much deliberation she came back to me and said "Would you accept a 2820 GPS?" and I thought about it for about 2 seconds and said "YES, I would!!!" LOL!!!

So in 2 days I will have a brand new 2830 with monaural BT to replace my second 2730 unit. These units are not waterproof and I am going to put the cover on it when not in use and if I am in a rainstorm I will either take it off and put it in the saddlebags or put the cap on it and a large gallon zip lock plastic bag secured with large rubber bands. Not bad for a $800 investment or whatever I paid for the 2730.

·
Registered
9,133 Posts
xxxrider said:
Hey Blade, I just had another problem with my 2730. It has condensation inside of the screen. I called Garmin and they said they would fix it for me if I sent it to them and waited 2 weeks. I said no way can I wait that long and after much deliberation she came back to me and said "Would you accept a 2820 GPS?" and I thought about it for about 2 seconds and said "YES, I would!!!" LOL!!!

So in 2 days I will have a brand new 2830 with monaural BT to replace my second 2730 unit. These units are not waterproof and I am going to put the cover on it when not in use and if I am in a rainstorm I will either take it off and put it in the saddlebags or put the cap on it and a large gallon zip lock plastic bag secured with large rubber bands. Not bad for a $800 investment or whatever I paid for the 2730.
Are they going to let you keep your GXM30 antenna to use on the 2820?

Bartman

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
xxxrider said:

[Sorry, I saw this and answered in PMs first]. Again, CONGRATULATIONS! You really have to love Garmin -- they pretty much went above and beyond for you on this. Enjoy your new 28xx series model and from a new Zumo owner, welcome to Bluetooth!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Yes, I will keep the GXM30 antenna but just trade out the 2730 GPS itself for the 2820 unit which is what Garmin should do when a "WATERPROOF" unit had condensation in it!!!

·
Registered
9,133 Posts
xxxrider said:
Yes, I will keep the GXM30 antenna but just trade out the 2730 GPS itself for the 2820 unit which is what Garmin should do when a "WATERPROOF" unit had condensation in it!!!
COOL!!!!! Now this IS a deal!

Bartman

·
Registered
206 Posts
Yes, but then I have to reload all my MP3s back into the new unit unless I keep that memory for track points or whatever else I might need because I have a 30 gig IPOD hooked up to my Autocom as well so I really don't need to load it I guess.

I don't know if I will have to pay for shipping expenses. Maybe they'll include a self-addressed box with postage on it. Oh well, at least Garmin is standing behind their products and warranties.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Another good place for the GXM antenna. Remove the screws holding the cap on the right brake reservoir. Go to the hardware store and get ones that are a 1/4 longer. Put the metal plate/bracket on top of the reservoir cap, then screw it down. The holes line up perfectly for some reason, just a matter of luck. Now mine just sits right on top and I never lose signal at all, and nobody can steal it for sure. Also a very clean look. I have the HKC mount for my 376 that puts the unit down on the handlebar, not sticking up like a sore thumb.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have that bracket for my GXM30 antenna and it works great. I just received my 2820 so I will be doing the setup for it today and then sending back my 2730. Oddly enough Tuesday I was adjusting the mount that I bought from cyclegadgets.com as it has come loose and doesn't stay in position and it is a PITA to retighten all the screws when I noticed that my 2730 no longer has the condensation on the screen.

It comes and goes depending upon temperature. Weird.

BLADE, I will probably never use the BT feature as I will never use a cellphone on my bike. I might use it in my car if I can find out where my BT headset is. I lost it along with the case for my cellphone. Maybe I left it on my golf cart.

Well, I just found my BT headset so I will charge it up and pair it up with the 2820. Then I will have to go thru the hassle of setting all the settings on the new unit the same as I have them on the 2730.

UPDATE!!! I finally got my BT Headset & Samsung SCH-I730 PC Smartphone paired to the 2820 but I have only been able to successfully make one phone call. I guess I am going to have to play around with it some more.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Blade, I want to publicly apologize to you for any comments or posts I have made that appeared to you as "OFFENSIVE" or "MEAN SPIRITED" as that was not my intention as I mentioned to you in my PM.

I was teasing you alot particularly because alot of us thought that maybe you were a Garmin Plant because you so ZEALOUSLY talked about the ZUMO and most knowledgeably but it was all meant to be in a teasing manner and I am so sorry that you took it to be something else than what I intended.

You are the MOST KNOWLEDGEABLE person posting here in this forum about the ZUMO and your knowledge is most appreciated. I love following your posts as they are extremely informative and have helped me many times.

Please accept my deepest felt apolgy and let's move on as friends in this great forum of ideas and knowledge.

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
Toyo said:
Another good place for the GXM antenna. Remove the screws holding the cap on the right brake reservoir. Go to the hardware store and get ones that are a 1/4 longer. Put the metal plate/bracket on top of the reservoir cap, then screw it down. The holes line up perfectly for some reason, just a matter of luck. Now mine just sits right on top and I never lose signal at all, and nobody can steal it for sure.
The holes that line up with the reservoir cap are the ones used to attach the GXM to the mounting plate, so does that mean that the GXM is being held onto the plate only by the magnet? Or am I misreading this?

·
Registered
672 Posts
FOGGING SCREEN

JUST TO LET YOU KNOW, THE 2820 IS HAVING THE SAME FOGGING PROBLEMS. AFTER SENDING BACK 3 DIFFERENT 2730'S FOF THE FOGGING PROBLEM, THEY OFFER ME A 2820. I RESEARCHED AND FOUND OUT THE PROBLEM IS WITH ALL THE STREET PILOTS MODELS. NOT ALL THE UNITS DO IT BUT MOST DO IN DIRECT SUNLIGHT. I FINIALLY BROKE DOWN AND GOT A ZUMO 550. NO FOGGING, LOVE THE UNIT.

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
Mounting a GXM-30

FLA-ORANGE said:
JUST TO LET YOU KNOW, THE 2820 IS HAVING THE SAME FOGGING PROBLEMS
Ummmmmm..., did I miss something here?

I thought this thread was about mounting a GXM-30 antenna. How the heck does that equate over to "moisture problems"...???

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
BrianH said:
Toyo said:
Another good place for the GXM antenna. Remove the screws holding the cap on the right brake reservoir. Go to the hardware store and get ones that are a 1/4 longer. Put the metal plate/bracket on top of the reservoir cap, then screw it down. The holes line up perfectly for some reason, just a matter of luck. Now mine just sits right on top and I never lose signal at all, and nobody can steal it for sure.
The holes that line up with the reservoir cap are the ones used to attach the GXM to the mounting plate, so does that mean that the GXM is being held onto the plate only by the magnet? Or am I misreading this?
I don't mean to be a butt-insky, but if Toyo doesn't get to this I would like to answer your question and say that whether you use the specific antenna mount from CycleGadgets (which I introduced as the subject of this post), OR the brake reservoir as Toyo mentions above, in BOTH instances YES, you can screw them into the bottom of the GXM-30. Additionally you can simply set the GXM-30 atop the shelf of the CycleGadgets antenna bracket (only) for a very solid magnetized hold.

Since I posted this over 7 weeks ago I actually purchased that antenna bracket and have opted to screw my GXM-30 down. Between that, the Zumo's security screw, and the RAM locking knob, one now can't casually remove my Zumo or the GXM-30 from my bike. If I stop somewhere for an adult beverage, etc. I now merely take my Zumo with me with reasonable confidence that my entire mount and GXM-30 bolted to it -- those items that remain -- will still be there when I return.

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
mbresso said:
I don't mean to be a butt-insky, but if Toyo doesn't get to this I would like to answer your question and say that whether you use the specific antenna mount from CycleGadgets (which I introduced as the subject of this post), OR the brake reservoir as Toyo mentions above, in BOTH instances YES, you can screw them into the bottom of the GXM-30. Additionally you can simply set the GXM-30 atop the shelf of the CycleGadgets antenna bracket (only) for a very solid magnetized hold.
Butt-insky? Not at all... <smile>

What I was originally questioning was the comment about mounting the the reservoir cap. The way I read it, it looked like he was saying that the GXM was secured to the mounting plate and the mounting plate was secured to the brake fluid reservoir. However, the holes that allow you to secure the antenna to the plate are the same ones that secure the plate to the reservoir cap.

I was actually going from memory when I asked, but I've since taken a good look at the pieces, and it's pretty obvious that the plate screws to the reservoir and the GXM is hheld on by the magnet..., so I didn't see that as being secure at all.

Right now I'm just looking at all the possibilities to try and decide what works best for me. Right now, I'm leaning towards securing the plate to the reservoir and just letting the magnet do its work....

Does this make sense?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
BrianH said:
Does this make sense?
Regrettably my understanding is a bit lacking but since it sounds like you have a good handle on what's going on and are comfortable with your vision, it certainly matters little whether or not I'm following along. Enjoy your GXM-30 and mount Brian! LOVE the gadgets! :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts