GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After parking the bike for about 60 days the XM antenna does not work. I get "Upgrade XM Antenna" when I select XM radio. Same thing happens on the auto mount. Worked fine when I parked it. Have used the 665 in the car during the layoff without using the GXM-40 antenna. Garmin is offering me a free replacement but logically this doesn't make sense and I don't want to wait for the new unit. I've checked all the wiring and everything is as it was when I parked the bike. Anybody got a fix?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
131 Posts
Mine gave me a message somewhat like yours. Cleaned the contacts on the mount and zumo with rubbing alcohol and it worked. Worth a try anyway. Good luck. Also make sure the connection between the antenna cable and the mount cable is clean and tight.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mike. After searching all the threads I could on several sites I monitor, I gave it another try. I had tried XM's customer service and Garmin's to exhaust all of their remedies. Knowing that I had service from XM and that I had the latest Garmin software updates installed, I felt that the puck couldn't have simply gone out that instantly. Sure enough, when I licked my fingers and moistened the metal contacts on the cable and the receiving cable and put it back together (I didn't have any dielectric grease and was desperate for a fix), the unit started searching for channels and then piped right up with XM music! Go figure. Garmin and XM need to have their support folks surf the net to see what the real world is doing.

I'll do a more professional job of lubrication/cleaning tonight when I get home, but the unit works at least. Thanks for your reply.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
131 Posts
Glad you worked it out.:coffee1:
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top