GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a used GXM 30 XM antenna/receiver to hook up to my ZUMO 550 GPS on my Interstate. I also have another mount I use on my 97 std for the 550. Both are Valkyries.

Just plugged it in this AM, and all I can get is "No XM Antenna" on the IS.

I then plugged it into the 97 std. mount, and it "sees" the antenna. So, I figure the mount is the problem, so I switch the 97 std. mount to the IS, and the IS mount to the std.

Now, the IS still says no antenna, and the 97 sees it. What is going on? How can it tell what bike is what?

One difference I have, and not sure why, is how the GPS powers up.

They are both hooked to the battery direct. However, if you put the GPS in the IS mount, you need to push the ON button. On the 97, the GPS powers up right away. Never been sure why they power up different, when both are hooked direct to the battery.

Thanks.

MP

·
Registered
888 Posts
The GPS is not seeing power from the motorcycle when on the IS. That is why you need to power it on manually. In addition, the XM only works when external power is present.

Ron Fuller

·
Registered
888 Posts
I checked the 4 pin power connector that plugs into the motorcycle mount and had 12Volts on the pin just to the left (i.e counterclockwise) of the connector key. The Garmin GPS cable assembly has an in-line fuse in the 12 volt line - you might want to check that. That cable assembly also supplies 12volt ground to the GPS and that line is not fused. A poor or missing connection on the ground line would also cause the symptom you are having.

By the way, I did not see 12 volts on any of the pins on the mount connector that the GPS sits on. I suspect the mount has some logic that only supplies 12 volts out to the GPS when it sees that a GPS is present.

Ron Fuller

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Ron. Got it to "see" the antenna. It was hooked up to a switched fuse block. However, it still does not turn on the GPS when the GPS is put in on the IS mount, while it does on the std.

However, it does not download the channels. I have left it sit in the yard for hours, with the GXM30 on the seat, and all the 550 says is "Acquiring Channels".

Never get any. I need to get the Preview, so I can get the ID for the unit. Any ideas now why it cannot "Acquire" the channels?

Thanks for your help.

MP

·
Registered
888 Posts
It sounds like there is still something that is not right with the 12V and ground to the GPS when in the motorcycle mount. Can you measure the 12V at the 4 pin power input connector, and check for continuity on the ground line from that connector to the negative battery terminal?

Is there any change in symptom when the engine is running? I don't know where you are located, but does the GXM30 have a clear view of the southern sky?

But the fact that the GPS does not power on automatically when motorcycle 12V is present says there is still something not right with that. I would work on getting that fixed and then deal with the XM.

This link shows the pinouts (not verified) for power at the mount:
http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2918920620096516608wpbqzi

Ron Fuller

·
Registered
313 Posts
The ID of your gxm 30 is printed on the bottom of the unit or go to channel "0"
Good luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts