GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just noticed on page 395 of the latest H-D Chrome Catalog a list of "Rider Essential" packages. Best part is they all include a "limited edition" belt buckle!! Well I guess that's essential! :wink:

I believe the Goldwing package includes a stuffed animal.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Don't forget the JC Whitney catalog square dancer's vest! :lol:

·
Registered
19,323 Posts
dumb topic--no stuffed animals here

if I road a Harley I would wear leather vests with patches and trailer my bike on trips past 500 miles

all my shirts would be black and I would have fring hanging from the handgrips

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well I can see the belt buckle being essential. HD is all about the image. They definitely are not about cutting edge technology.

I still haven't figured out why millions of people thing the whole HD scene is "Cool". I guess "All Show and No Go" is alright with some people.

Sorry folks, I'm a little aggravated with HD right now. I to had the HD bug and actually ordered a 2007 Street Glide. Fortunately, while I was waiting for the bike to come in, I rented one. To be kind, lets just say I was very disappointed. Not by the looks or the ride but by the lack of performance. What a pig, no pun intended. But after stepping off my '06 Wing and onto the HD I was stunned by how anemic the power was. Then there's the heat from the motor and the vibration. That made the experience even more miserable. Needless to say, I cancelled my order. Willie G. and the boys need to work a lot harder before I'm gonna give them any of my money!

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
laen said:
if I road a Harley I would wear leather vests with patches and trailer my bike on trips past 500 miles

all my shirts would be black and I would have fring hanging from the handgrips
I must be something of a hybrid.

I've never owned a leather vest but only trailer my bike to get out of snowy/icy road conditions.

Only two of my shirts are black (one from WingDing and one from the VTX Record Ride) but I do have yellow and black leather fringe hanging from my brake and clutch levers.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Honcho said:
I to had the HD bug and actually ordered a 2007 Street Glide. Fortunately, while I was waiting for the bike to come in, I rented one. To be kind, lets just say I was very disappointed. Not by the looks or the ride but by the lack of performance. What a pig, no pun intended. But after stepping off my '06 Wing and onto the HD I was stunned by how anemic the power was.
WTF did you expect there Jethro... a friggin crotch rocket? :roll:

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Limited/Special Edition lost its' meaning many years ago. In the auto/cycle world nowdays, everything is either Limited or Special Edition. How can a belt buckle be limited when they made a couple million of them? BTW, the can of Barbasol shaving cream in my bathroom cabinet is in a 'collectible can.' How can they produce millions of these cans and call them collectible?

A friend of mine stopped by a couple weeks ago with his new to him 2001 HD UC (I think that's what it was), and showed it to me. Really nice bike. He said that it already had the screaming eagle stuff done to it before he bought it, but he wasn't really concerned about it. He looked over at my Wing, and noticed the 1800 on the valve covers, and asked "Is that 1800?", and I said yes. Hmmm.... When he left, I couldn't believe how much the engine was shaking; geez, if the engine in my car was shaking that much, I'd be checking the motor mounts.

My GF and I visited her sister and BIL last weekend; they bought her dads' 78 HD after he died. Needless to say, it needs a good going over, and Tim knows this. He wants to have it restored when he gets the cash, maybe this winter, maybe next. His wife wants for us to ride down to MO after it's done, but Tim wants to trailer it; I know it's less than an 8 hour ride. I rode 492 miles yesterday, just to have supper with my GF, who's working at a hospital 230 miles from here, a 3.5 to 4 hour ride one way.

Not bashing HD, just my thoughts and observations.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I still haven't figured out why millions of people thing the whole HD scene is "Cool".

Well, I can understand the Harley cool factor to some extent.

But, too many of the uncool are chasing after the cool factor . . . by buying a cool Harley.

One can't make himself cool by simply sitting on cool.

I can't figure out why the millions of people consider the Wing scene so very, very uncool.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I use to wonder why the cool thought about me being uncool, but then I just decided that when I came across the cool who thought I was uncool I would increase the throttle and let them hear my radio fade into the distance ( I know I have it turned up to loud if they can hear it) :D :D :D

G

·
0 Posts
Most of the people riding Harleys are white trash, there is nothing "cool" about that. :?

·
Registered
552 Posts
hubert said:
I can't figure out why the millions of people consider the Wing scene so very, very uncool.
Man... you got me, I can't figure it out either :roll:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
WOW... just got a flyer from H-D in the mail. In addition to the rider's essential belt buckle, they are now offering chrome "Bar and Shield" tie downs! A must for every serious H-D "Rider"! :pig1:

·
Registered
166 Posts
I enjoy poking good nature fun at those that live on the dark side also. But I came real close to becoming one of those darker rider's LOL. If I could afford to of those motorsickles the other one porbably would be an H-D. But untill then I plan to take my bothers a BMW rider and a good friend who rides H-D. On a rode trip that includes the famous D-Q so we can enjoy the facilities togather LOL

·
Registered
47 Posts
HAHAHAH

Both H-D and GoldWing have their stereotypes.

I came off a Hayabusa and a Vmax to get a GoldWing because my wife and I are best friends and ride together. There is no bike on the planet like a wing. Hands down.

But just like the Harley stereotype.....we wingers have the "Ride to Eat" fat assed stereotype as well.

Bottom line is this: Screw everyone and what they think. You ride the way you want to ride and that's it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
The real sad thing is that all motorcylces are toys' I ride 15k-20k miles a year and am treated like cannon fodder by HD & Wing dealers alike. The wing is the best there is... but comes with wobbles and faulty shocks for $21,000.
If you bought a car like that, you would shove it up someones butt, But it's a bike so we fix it and ride and love it.
Be as hard core or as wussie as you want, you're paying to ride a toy, a hobby , that looses $$ everytime you start is just like a boat or an RV.
Stop thinking your Bronson, Dennis Hopper, or any other Go-It_Alone Icon.
Drink all the beer you want or eat all the ice cream, cuz its a pretty short ride when it's done
Be safe
SKI

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
BLK04WNG said

Most of the people riding Harleys are white trash, there is nothing "cool" about that.
I have to disagree with you here. Most of the people I know who ride HDs are professional people who just like the idea of having a HD. Do they think it makes them cool, probably to a degree, but who cares? I think having a Wing makes me cool. I don't care what anyone else thinks.

At our Blue Knights Charity ride this past Sat, 90% of the bikes were HDs.
I only saw 3 or 4 people who I would describe as "less groomed" than the others. I got quite a few nice comments about my Wing from the HD group.

I'm not buying the white trash thing. That's painting too many people with too broad a brush.

Just my 2cents
Dep

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Dep said:
BLK04WNG said

Most of the people riding Harleys are white trash, there is nothing "cool" about that.
I have to disagree with you here. Most of the people I know who ride HDs are professional people who just like the idea of having a HD. Do they think it makes them cool, probably to a degree, but who cares? I think having a Wing makes me cool. I don't care what anyone else thinks.

At our Blue Knights Charity ride this past Sat, 90% of the bikes were HDs.
I only saw 3 or 4 people who I would describe as "less groomed" than the others. I got quite a few nice comments about my Wing from the HD group.

I'm not buying the white trash thing. That's painting too many people with too broad a brush.

Just my 2cents
Dep

I agree.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
LOL..well..not sure about yuppies, but the ages of most of them would put them, and me included, in the baby boomer class.

Dep

1 - 20 of 33 Posts