GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

So over winter I've had the battery on a tender like so:

and this weekend I decided to take it off and put the cover back on. Then I noticed that the cover has a nice gap, suitable for passing the charging cable through:

and which the cable can be pushed up into when not in use:

BTW, it is a fused connection so all is well, and I can use it for other purposes like heated clothes if needed. I also left it a bit more visible than it really is, for the photo. It's not visible at all when not needed.

So I now have a battery charger socket without paying hundreds of dollars and ripping out acres of plastic. Hack or bodge? HACK!

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Yes, I kind of think something like that should be standard. But there you go.
Here in AZ we ride every day so there's no need for one. :) Just rubbing it in. :)

·
Registered
506 Posts
I run mine just forward of what you have there and tuck the end of the charging connector into that small hole on the frame. While we can ride year around, I’ve been bouncing between medical appointments for a few months. Finally got out today for a short ride, been about 4 months.

Reactions: cris nitro

·
Registered
53 Posts
I run mine just forward of what you have there and tuck the end of the charging connector into that small hole on the frame. While we can ride year around, I’ve been bouncing between medical appointments for a few months. Finally got out today for a short ride, been about 4 months.
Same here. I've just have to put my two forefingers on either side to shimmy it into the hole or pull it out. It's clean and the cord isn't bunched up or in the way when I remove the sidecover for service.??

I would also add that having a tender is almost mandatory for this bike. For some reason when the key fob is on and near the bike, I've had the battery run down. Twice.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Exactly where my pigtail is located. I pull it through the opening and connect my air compressor or trickle charger. Can also be used for heated vests.

Reactions: rmw700

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I installed a Powerlet socket on the right side where the passenger audio control option would be placed. Provides an option for battery tending, air compressor for emergency tire repairs, and serves as a power point for my wifes heated jacket. I also have a powerlet dual usb adapter to use should I need to charge helmets or her phone on the go. The downside is that material will have to be removed from the top of the inner saddlebad. Its still covered by the black cover that the powerlet is now attached to. It will take a hard rain to get in and I keep things in the right saddlebag that a few drops of water will not harm should anything get in. Tools, air compressor, tire kit, cleaning supplies, food or drinks. I could seal it with clear silicone should it be a problem.

Attachments

·
Registered
210 Posts
Yup, me too. Perfect spot to tuck the end in.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts