GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my luck ran out.

Four weeks ago, I missed a corner on my Scrambler, flew about 20 feet into a ravine and, thank God almighty, only broke my ankle. Missed a road sign and tree by inches. The paramedic (ironically a friend of mine) said later I landed in a trash heap with rusty cans and broken glass. I lacerated my back/shoulder that needed nine staples.

I've been riding 25 years and never had an accident or broken a bone in my body.

I actually broke my fibula very near the ankle and got surgery to install a plate and screws. It's doing fine, painless, and must stay off it for about five more weeks. Crutches suck!

It could have been so much worse.

Please, everyone, ride with proper gear ( I had a jacket that looked like a razor blade sliced through it, boots, and jeans. My helmet was pretty beaten up and I don't know what would have happened had I not worn it.)

I was riding too fast and lost control. Keep it within your limits--it's so much safer.

Again, it could have been so much worse. I look down at my leg in its boot and smile with gratitude.

I have given up riding. I vowed years ago that if anything remotely like this happened, I would.

I've got a Goldwing and a 1200 GS for sale. Not an ad--just telling.

Please be safe, ride within your limits, and wear the gear--at least the cursory stuff. It really hurts if you don't

I'm signing off now.

Keep the shiny side up and the rubber down,

Happnin'
Little Rock, AR

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Nothin't to say except I like your spirit and the way you own it. Sorry to see you you're hangin' up the helmet but it's understood. My day will come when I have to hang it up, my goal is to push that day as far into the future as possible.

I'm really glad you survived it. Good luck with the healing process. Those crutches do a good job of making all the purty girls fuss over you.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Hap,

Sorry for your injuries. I hope you have a quick and painless recovery.

I always feel bad when I hear someone say they are going to hang it up. I guess it just makes me think of the time I'll probably have to do the same.

Take care of yourself and keep in touch.
Dep

·
Registered
375 Posts
Gosh Hap. Perhaps you need to reconsider. S*$T happens when you least expect it. And, sometimes it is due to your own actions. BUT DON'T give up!

I don't know you personally, but I suspect you have had some very positive experiences in your motorcycling days. Give it some time. Let the wounds heal. Get back in the saddle.

I would hate for you to hang up your helmet permanently, and possibly regret that decision later.

Hope to see you out there on the big road some day in the future.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Happnin' said:
Fussing? My wife thinks I'm a pain in the ass!

Thanks for the warm wishes.
My wife thinks you are a pain in the ass ...
J / K

We Wish you the Best and Speediest recovery ...

8)

G

·
Goodbye, Hap. A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do. Sorry you feel ya gotta quit, but if you know it's time, it is time.

Best of luck to you.

Pat

·
Registered
21,092 Posts
Hap it's great to hear everything worked out OK but it is difficult for me to imagine giving up so easilly

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Glad to hear you are mending. But also sorry to hear you are giving up something you appear to enjoy so much.

Try my motto: Rehab is for quitters...... :lol:

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
Happnin

Just for your information, DO NOT TEST RIDE A TRIKE !!!!!!

JMHO 8)

·
Registered
435 Posts
Dorian_Blue said:
Those crutches do a good job of making all the purty girls fuss over you.
...and you can park closer to Target! :lol: Best of luck in your healing!

Mike

1 - 12 of 12 Posts