GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On January 3rd I had a wreck with a deer (the accident report says the deer hit me). My full faced HJC helmet worked OK - I had a concussion with memory loss but no facial injuries. On the other hand the other motorcycle clothing came apart as I slid and I received significant knee and arm abrasions as a result. It left a bad impression on me because the very reason I bought the stuff was to protect against this kind of outcome.

The "Sliders" brand jeans experienced a seam failure along the seam running up the inside thigh causing the jeans to open up. Consequently the semi-rigid knee pad was out of position to protect the knee and I got a big road rash on left side of the kneecap. The Kevlar panel in the knee area remained intact but I can't tell whether it did any good since the bare knee was free to touch the pavement. The right leg of the jeans did not fail but I don't think the slide really stressed that side. Both sides have a similar stitching pattern.

Needless to say I am disappointed in how things turned out. This is only one data point but I doubt the structural strength of cotton fabric is adequate. Maybe it would have held up with stronger stitching. I can't say for sure. Whatever the cause they didn't work when I needed them. The jeans have additional damage where they were cut off me in the emergency room but I tried to show the seam failure in the center of the image.

·
Registered
6,920 Posts
Good information for the rest of us. Thanks for sharing. Hope you heal quickly and glad it wasn't worse.

As far as the jeans, I believe your assessment of why they failed makes sense. I like the looks of them, but I've never really trusted that they could stand up to the realities of a crash as well as an 800D ripstop nylon or a piece of quality leather. After all, Kevlar reinforced cotton is still just based on cotton.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My Joe Rocket brand riding jacket had a similar seam failure on the right arm that led to significant road rash along the inside of the right arm. There was no road rash on the outside of the elbow but I think that was luck. The seam failure certainly created a condition where my bare skin could rub the pavement, which it did. This jacket seems to be made of nylon which I guess is stronger than cotton but the stitching still failed. The picture below shows the seam that runs up the inside of the right elbow.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
@Dalehsv I hope you heal quickly. It looks like you would have been in bad shape without your helmet.

I recommend high abrasion gear. I've only been down once at road speed and that time I had on a leather jacket that saved my arms from serious abrasions. The jacket took a beating, but I only had very minor burns. Now, since I have diabetes and am in my 60s, I am very concerned about road rash. My healing process would take significantly longer than it does for normal people.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Sorry you had this happen and glad you are here to post this. It opens my eyes to rethink my gear. It’s just wasted money if it doesn’t hold up under fire. So it would be nice if we had a section just for gear that was in an accident with pics to see how much abuse the gear can take. I want to get good quality without breaking the bank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for sharing and hope you have a speedy recovery!
About how fast were you going when you went down?
Not more than 40 mph. The accident report says I slid 80 feet. I must have a low coefficient of friction. I don't actually remember the wreck. My first memory is riding in the back of the ambulance.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I always wear a helmet, gloves and boots and almost always a jacket. The Klim Induction jacket allows enough airflow, even behind the fairing of a Goldwing, to convince me to wear it even on the hottest days. But like the OP, I usually wear jeans (sometimes reinforced, but often just regular jeans). Being short, with a waist bigger than it should be, I have never been able to find riding pants that fit properly and that justify the hassle to changing into them before every ride. But serious road rash is not something I want to experience. Maybe I need to think about this again.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
I always wear a helmet, gloves and boots and almost always a jacket. The Klim Induction jacket allows enough airflow, even behind the fairing of a Goldwing, to convince me to wear it even on the hottest days. But like the OP, I usually wear jeans (sometimes reinforced, but often just regular jeans). Being short, with a waist bigger than it should be, I have never been able to find riding pants that fit properly and that justify the hassle to changing into them before every ride. But serious road rash is not something I want to experience. Maybe I need to think about this again.
There are multiple companies that will make pants to fit anyone with any measurements. I had Olympia X-Moto pants that were the right size, but never really fit me. I solved the problem by getting a pair of pants made for my measurements. I could not be happier with them.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
My Joe Rocket brand riding jacket had a similar seam failure on the right arm that led to significant road rash along the inside of the right arm. There was no road rash on the outside of the elbow but I think that was luck. The seam failure certainly created a condition where my bare skin could rub the pavement, which it did. This jacket seems to be made of nylon which I guess is stronger than cotton but the stitching still failed. The picture below shows the seam that runs up the inside of the right elbow. View attachment 364416
Nylon is the worst thing to have on, in event of a crash. As you slide along, it melts its way into your flesh, then has to be scoured out with a brush.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
In earlier life, prior to the purchase of the 2008 GW, I was a jeans and leather jacket guy. But I now see the light, and don't even get on the GW without my Darien coat and pants. Though I heard it decades ago, only recently have I began to, "dress for the accident, not for the ride."

·
Registered
20,610 Posts
I’m thankful You were lucky enough to survive ! GOOD gear is extremely important when things go wrong. Obviously and unfortunately the jacket and pants you chose were not good enough quality, I’m sure you will choose better stuff next time.
usually wear all the gear but my last deer accident I wasn’t wearing riding my Firstgear pants because it was so hot, well my knees paid the price, since then I bought a pair of decent quality mesh pants, but I do still have a bad habit of sometimes not wearing them for short trips to town.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Your helmet did a good job...you are still alive. It would be an excellent convincer in a helmet display in any motorcycle accessory department. I can't imagine what would have happened to me in that situaton, since I wear a half helmet most of the time.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I can attest to many burns from melted Nylon. Not from motorcycle clothing, but rather from cut ropes and cords that were melted to keep the ends from fraying. It catches fire and forms a mushroom of melted synthetic, and if it gets on your skin it sticks like glue and burns. If you wipe or smear it, the burn is just bigger.

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
@Dalehsv I hope you heal quickly. It looks like you would have been in bad shape without your helmet.

I recommend high abrasion gear. I've only been down once at road speed and that time I had on a leather jacket that saved my arms from serious abrasions. The jacket took a beating, but I only had very minor burns. Now, since I have diabetes and am in my 60s, I am very concerned about road rash. My healing process would take significantly longer than it does for normal people.
As a diabetic also any cuts, burns, etc. take forever to heal and often get infected before completely healing. What gear are you wearing now?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts