GL1800Riders Forums banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
I have a good friend that (truly believes) nothing ever will happen to him, all he wears is the stupid beanie $10.00 plastic cap, very rarely wears more than a (black) tee shirt, BUT when he does wear a jacket it's always BLACK, so he just blends in with the street..(he laughs at me when I wear my very high viz yellow jacket) "tells me I look like a bumble bee" ......He rides much faster then I ever dare, in streets, or on the highway 85-90 MPG all the time.....I'm surprised I have not gone to his funeral, after all these years of riding with him...

Ronnie

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I have been down a few times, worst was from a flat on the rear tire at about 60 mph wearing jeans & tee shirt and helmet. Not good, lots of road rash, broken arm, dislocated shoulder. But God's grace was there, I had just left the only town in a 100 miles with a hospital, a RN nurse from that hospital was directly behind me, and a state trooper was approaching me. This was in the 70's, no cell phones. My Norton had to be towed home and I was a week in that hospital.
The second time I was wearing full leathers, went down on one of those steel graded bridge ramps, heavy rain. Walked away from that with only some bruises. My full face helmet had grooves in from sliding along the steel grates. My leathers were scuffed up, but no real damage. The Moto Guzzi didn't fair as well, it also towed home.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'm a MotoPort guy - I've been wearing their stretch Kevlar pants for many years and recently had a mesh Kevlar jacket made. I wear the pants as overpants - typically over jeans. I've been down twice in the pants - one slider that caused me to send the pants back for a bit of repair and look for any other damage. The pants held up very well and provided excellent protection. I only had some bruises but no road rash. The jacket I was wearing at the time didn't fare so well and needed to be replaced. That's when I got the mesh Kevlar jacket. The second time, the pants again held up fine with no damage, just a bit of scuffing (lady tried to make a U-Turn in front of me - worked out much better for her than for me).

My wife tells me that if I'm ever in an accident and not fully geared up, the accident will be the least of my problems. Being a relatively smart husband, I never get on any of the bikes with out full gear.

Glad you are relatively OK, and that the helmet did its job.

jdg

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Like most things, you basically get what you paid for most the time. A Joe Rocket jacket vs a Klim for example. Joe may be ok for the price I'm sure. Olympia OK. Lots of OK stuff out there at good prices. Get in a wreck OK stuff is not good enough many times.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I buy Motosport cycle clothing and they are the best out there in my opinion. I have had an opportunity or 2 to use it and its always saved me. Yes its expensive but worth it in my mind. Can't say for sure on the seams but would have held up better than jean material.

Speedy recovery 2 u!

I wonder if there is any manufacturer of motorcycle clothing that has thought to strengthen the seams in some way. It would appear that they are the weak point.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Think long and hard about wearing pants and jackets that are zipped together. I crash tested my Motoport stretch Kevlar suit, Schubreth full face, BMW Allround boots and Racer gloves when bambi took me down at 55mph in Washington State in 2012. All my gear did it's job as designed and no skin touched the pavement while I was sliding and sliding down the road. Not only does the motoport hold up really well but also the padding in the gear prevented more injuries from getting slammed to the road when that little sucker took out the front tire of my FJR.

I was wearing in excess of $2,000 in gear that day. The ambulance crew was blown away that I didn't require hospitalization. The more you spend on good gear the cheaper it is compared to not wearing it.

ATGATT.

·
Registered
189 Posts
In earlier life, prior to the purchase of the 2008 GW, I was a jeans and leather jacket guy. But I now see the light, and don't even get on the GW without my Darien coat and pants. Though I heard it decades ago, only recently have I began to, "dress for the accident, not for the ride."
Cordura is Nylon.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I went down, was rear ended turning, wearing a pair of slider jeans. They held up just fine. Still have them as a reminder to wear gear.

·
Registered
204 Posts
When you think about how those jeans and coat came apart, think about how things are sewed. Tiny little holes in the fabric fractions of an inch apart where the threads pass through is the answer to failure. Even cardboard is easy to separate at the place where tiny little holes are placed for that purpose of ripping them apart. I like leather chaps. They might not protect my fanny or family parts but they do protect knees and legs from road rash or tiny pebbles getting into the knees. Same goes for a leather jacket. I have both and not smart enough always wear them. But, I do wear them enough. If you watch motorcycle races you will see those riders sliding a long ways and get up without a scratch because they wear leathers. Harley guys wear leathers, so why not Goldwingers.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
When you think about how those jeans and coat came apart, think about how things are sewed. Tiny little holes in the fabric fractions of an inch apart where the threads pass through is the answer to failure. Even cardboard is easy to separate at the place where tiny little holes are placed for that purpose of ripping them apart. I like leather chaps. They might not protect my fanny or family parts but they do protect knees and legs from road rash or tiny pebbles getting into the knees. Same goes for a leather jacket. I have both and not smart enough always wear them. But, I do wear them enough. If you watch motorcycle races you will see those riders sliding a long ways and get up without a scratch because they wear leathers. Harley guys wear leathers, so why not Goldwingers.
There are some Goldwingers that do wear leather, but it is certainly the most popular material for jackets and pants. If I were guessing, I'd say Cordura nylon is probably the most popular. Good Cordura is more resistant to abrasion than any but the very best leather gear. IMO, it is also much more flexible with changing temperature. In the old days I used to wear a leather jacket and it did not breathe enough for anything about 85 degrees or so.

·
Registered
6,432 Posts
Harley guys wear leathers, so why not Goldwingers.
I have both leather and textile jackets. I will wear my leather for local rides but on trips, I always wear textile because textile is waterproof and you don't have stop to put on rain gear like you do with leather.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
I have both leather and textile jackets. I will wear my leather for local rides but on trips, I always wear textile because textile is waterproof and you don't have stop to put on rain gear like you do with leather.
I have 500D Cordura from both Motoport and Olympia and they are a lot of things, but waterproof they are not. I would call them water resistant, but certainly not water proof. BTW, both companies sell water proof liners for their textile jackets.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts