GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a SS1000 IBA ride yesterday (my Father's Day present to myself). Went up to the UP of Michigan and back.
Anyway during the ride my buddy points out I had a tail light go out. Then later in the ride I had a low beam head light go out. What a wonderful bike this has been. After seven years of ownership this is the only failure of any kind I have had. Almost 50,000 totally trouble free miles.

It makes sense to me these bulbs would go out at the same time as they're on the same number of hours/miles.

I'm thinking of replacing ALL the tail lights in the trunk & saddle bags as a preventative measure. Would you all do this? I will also replace both low beams.

Happy Father's Day,
Dan

·
IronMan
17,462 Posts
I usually just change out bad one . Been 1 1/2 yr and front headlite still going strong . I do buy in pairs and if going on trip will take ( depends on cost of bulb )if reg tailight bulb dont carry . Can get any parts store / walmart n cheap . Everyone diff. Some do both so dont have to worry. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
100k and still have not lost a tail light or high beam.
have replaced the low beam twice.

50k on the big bike running lights, the are always on and no problems so far.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Halogen bulbs dim over time. It's "built in" to the way halogen filaments work. Depending on how often you use the HI beams, they may or may not be dimmed. It's almost a guarantee that your LO beams are dimmed so do both. Anyway, it is not uncommon for one LO to die shortly after the other dies, sometimes the same time.

As for the tail and signal bulbs. I was surprised to discover recently that they also dim after time. I had to replace the bulb in the left mirror signal/run because I dropped it on the floor. I put in the new one and it was brighter than the right signal/run. I pulled the right and noticed that it was slightly darker on the glass. With a new one, it looks matched. I suggest using Honda bulbs because they have an extra center stalk for vibration resistance (they don't, however, survive a drop onto a concrete floor :cry:).

bulbhonda.jpg

·
Registered
7,380 Posts
Tailights - no - unless you're OCD or extremely bored. Headlights - yes, as Waldo said, they tend to go out shortly within each other. As for the slight brightness difference on the tailights - really - who's gonna notice? Front running lights - a bit more noticeable due to location.

·
IronMan
17,462 Posts
:roll::roll: cant see tailites goin down the road :lol::lol::joke:

·
Registered
7,380 Posts
Our board sponsors - www.Shinhopples.com (Bulldog and Meesh) have them, as well as HDL, Cyclemax, etc. Personally I like Bulldog and Meesh, good people.

·
Registered
7,932 Posts
I can't seem to find OEM headlamp bulbs on Bulldogs website. All I see is Piaa brand. Help needed.

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
I did a SS1000 IBA ride yesterday (my Father's Day present to myself). Went up to the UP of Michigan and back.
Anyway during the ride my buddy points out I had a tail light go out. Then later in the ride I had a low beam head light go out. What a wonderful bike this has been. After seven years of ownership this is the only failure of any kind I have had. Almost 50,000 totally trouble free miles.

It makes sense to me these bulbs would go out at the same time as they're on the same number of hours/miles.

I'm thinking of replacing ALL the tail lights in the trunk & saddle bags as a preventative measure. Would you all do this? I will also replace both low beams.

Happy Father's Day,
Dan
I think I'd junk that thing if a bulb went out at only 50,000 miles! :joke: (I'd replace both headlight bulbs and that is all.) Probably just a fluke.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Had My Very First Mechanical Failure Yesterday?

Actually that was an electrical component failure, not a mechanical failure. Just sayin. You still have a while to wait before you can make such an outlandish claim.

BTW, I too had a headlight bulb failure at only 55,000 miles, no warning at all, one minute it was there, the next it was not, very disappointing.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I can't seem to find OEM headlamp bulbs on Bulldogs website. All I see is Piaa brand. Help needed.
For those interested....I found Honda oem bulbs with very quick shipping at bikebandit.com Other places would not even ship for 5-7days where this place ships next day. I did not see oem bulbs on bulldogs website either.

·
Banned
8,220 Posts
I used to replace my low beams every 6 months on my 2007. That thing ate light bulbs for breakfast! I had all four go out at once on the highway at night! If not for my EC driving lights, I would have been toast. I have HIDs on my 2012 and never had a problem.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts