GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Made an appointment with the Motortrike factory in Troup, Texas and went over this morning for yearly preventative maintance....the factory is not that far away, and they know the trike a whole lot better than the local Honda dealers....
Met with my old friend Richard Graham, and talked about the fires in the area, and old times while letting the bike cool off. Texas is having a hard time with wild fires and there was one not too far from Motortrike...then he turned me over to another Richard in the service department.
Richard in service road tested my 2008 Motortrike and felt a little vibration that I had complained about....they checked the bike over completely and decided to replace the heim joints...even cleaned the bugs of the bike before letting me have it back....
It really helped and I could tell the difference....
Everyone at Motortrike was very helpful and wanting to fill me full of coffee and donuts....being a retired LEO, I took them up on the offer...ha..
A great big thanks to the two Richards for the service and support....

Rip
2008 Motortrike (Factory Installed)

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Rip. How would you describe your vibration? I have a friend with an adventure kit that was installed new about two months ago. He has complained about a vibration since. MT sent him a new drive shaft and front yoke but that made no difference. We have changed front tires with no change in the vibration. He is convinced the problem is in the driveline. He says that at about 65-70mph that he can not tell what is behind him because it is so blurry. He says that headlights at night in the mirrors appear as a long line of light. Do you know which heim joints they replaced? I seriously doubt this is his problem but thought I would relay your reply to him. Thanks

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My bike has the 1800 Spyder kit with solid axle on it that was installed in Feb 2009 on a 2008 GL 1800 Level Premium Audio. Bike has alittle over 19,000 miles, all trike and was built at Motortrike in Troup. Bike is adult ridden and not mistreated, and has pulled a small aluminum trailer about 3500 miles total.

I have gone over for the yearly preventative maintance due to most Honda dealers being unfamilar with how to service the trike kits...and I want my service done by someone who knows what they are doing and what to look for...and because I used to work in the area and know alot of people at Motortrike, including Jeff Vey the owner...Its a nice ride over there and I get to talk to old friends at the same time....

Mine had a very slight vibration thru the handlbars under acceleration...
They checked mine throughly ...pulled the tires, dropped the driveshaft and inspected it, pulled the subframe and installed the heim joints and reassembled it and road tested....

It still has a little vibration but I think all of them do have some, especially in the 2400rpm range from the motor itself.....

I dont know anything about the Adventure kit or IRS...

Like alot of people will tell you....the installer and their experience, or lack of, is the cause of most of the problems with trike kits, not the kit itself...and that goes for all makes and models, not just Motortrike...

All in all, I'm very happy with my Motortrike, and would highly recommend them to anyone....and the service at the factory is number 1.....

Rip
2008 Motortrike

·
Registered
305 Posts
Rip. How would you describe your vibration? I have a friend with an adventure kit that was installed new about two months ago. He has complained about a vibration since. MT sent him a new drive shaft and front yoke but that made no difference. We have changed front tires with no change in the vibration. He is convinced the problem is in the driveline. He says that at about 65-70mph that he can not tell what is behind him because it is so blurry. He says that headlights at night in the mirrors appear as a long line of light. Do you know which heim joints they replaced? I seriously doubt this is his problem but thought I would relay your reply to him. Thanks
I had the same problem with mine I went to the local Discount Tire shop and had my rear tires balanced vibration went away tell your friend to have the tires done there's a good chance it will go away

·
Banned
7,604 Posts
Would you share w/us what service was done and what the cost was?
Disregard if this was a special deal and should not be shared.
Thanks

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Rip, great to hear things worked out. That ole Richard is something else. I need to give him the what for next time I see him since as a LEO myself, he never offered me any doughnuts when I was down there. He has been holding out on me. No question the Motor Trike guys do good stuff. Make it a point to stop in every time I am in Texas. Ride safe and enjoy.:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I had the same problem with mine I went to the local Discount Tire shop and had my rear tires balanced vibration went away tell your friend to have the tires done there's a good chance it will go away
He had a new tire on the front when he bought it and had the vib. A couple days ago I mounted a new tire and installed dyna beads. Vibration is still there. Today he is checking to be sure his rear tires are true and checking balance on them. Thank you for the suggestion.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts