GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of weeks ago I was in Kentucky while my daughter was having our grandson. I rode the Wing and DeeDee met me there. My son in law is just getting into riding as he bought himself a used Suzuki SV 650 last year. I'ts a naked V-Twin sportbike for those not familiar. Having nothing to do one Wednesday evening, we go in search of a bike night in the Louisville area.

We finally wound up at the Ohio Valley Dragway, a 1/8 mile strip and it happened to be test and tune night. We pulled up next to a few sportbikes who were prepping in order to run. A kid on a lowered R-1 asked me if I was gonna run the wing.

Well, well, well, those of you who know me, knows what happened next.

I ran the bike through tech inspection, got me a number 6 shoe polished on my windshield and I'm ready to go. As I'm staging, what looks like a Harley Sportster pulls up in the lane next to me and starts a burnout. I'm thinking this is pretty cool as I inch up to the line and light the yellows.

As I wait for him to stage, I'm trying to remember everything that I used to know about drag racing considering that my drag racing carreer consisited of running a stock 1976 Chevy Pickup one weekend in 1979.

He finnally stages, the tree goes green and we take off. My reaction time was quicker and I had a slight lead at the 60ft mark. He starts gaining on me while I'm in second and he increases his lead thru my third and beats me by about 1 1/2 lenghts on the 1/8th mile run. My time was 8.62 sec at 80.4 MPH. He had a 8.36 at 85 MPH.

Initially I was dissapointed I hadn't beaten him, but given that it was the first time I raced the Wing, I was anxious to get back out there. I parked the bike in the waiting area and found my son in law in the stands with a couple of older gentlemen who ridden GW 1500's in and now had become my posse. One of my new posse told me the Harley wasn't stock and that he was here practicing for the Harley drags somewhere in that area.

Before they called for the bikes again, I went over and talked to him and asked him what he had done to his bike. He tells me he had just spent $2400.00 on the engine having an S & S stroker kit installed.

He told me he was surprised that I had stayed that close to him and asked me what I had done to the Wing. I told him I had installed a CB radio, an I-Pod and about 100 extra pounds of chrome We both have a good laugh and get ready to run again.

He does another burnout while I'm staging. He stages and we take off again. Once again I take off first and this time I have him at 500 ft but as we cross the line he is a 1/2 length ahead.

My time 8.44 sec @ 84 mph. His time an almost identical 8.34 sec @ 85.5 MPH. As we are leaving the track we give each other a thumbs up and go park the bikes. Now I'm thinking I can take this guy if I get one more chance at him.

By this time, my posse is rooting for me and the kid on the R-1 is asking how the I-pod works.

When they call for the bikes again, I tell the Harley guy I've got one more run in me, how bout him. He says let's do it. At that time I call my son in law over, open my trunk and saddle bags and start unloading my spare helmet, rainsuit, bike cover, tire repair kit, tool kit and a bunch of other crap that had accumulated on the bike during my trip to Kentucky. The kids on the sportbikes are laughing but not the Harley guy.

As the starter is calling us to the waiting area, Harley is next to me . For some reason when we are called to the staging area he is gone. He jumped the line and ran in front of me.

My posse was booing and the sportbike guys were still laughing. I wound up running the kid on the R-1. He smoked me bad.

It was a fun night but I'm getting the Busa ready now.

·
Registered
200 Posts
You just gota luv it :lol:

And no, I won't tell you about the bike I smoked in Nevada...

and "we" were pulling a trailer :twisted:

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
Great story, Loved it..... You unload the truck and he leaves LOL !!

Congradulations !! :lol:

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
Funny Stuff, what a story to tell the grandbabies!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Great read, sounds like a real fun night.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Thanks for the great story. Was your windshield in the highest position too? :lol:

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So what was your third run time???
Being a rookie, my attention was diverted almost immediatley by the jet blast of the R-1. Having switched to floorboards and a heel / toe shifter before the trip, I instinctly tried to go into second with my toe and hit the rev limiter before I could get to second. Still, I managed an 8.55 / 82mph. However the R-1 came in at 7.01 at 102 MPH.

Was your windshield in the highest position too?
I run the Clearview shortie so that wasn't a problem, but I think it might be heavier than stock:lol:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts