GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Several times I have seen post that pulling a trailer will void your warranty. I really do not think they can do that, but since you are a dealer. What is the truth?

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok Hal, I apperciate that answer, but in your experience has Honda ever refused to back any of your bikes you have sold because of towing a trailer?

Not intending to put you on the spot, but am considering buying a trailer and this is a concern.

·
Registered
386 Posts
My 03 went back to ohio for a re-weld with my hitch on it the only thing they told me was that if they had to put a new frame under it they would not put the hitch back on..but it just got welded with the hitch on so i really dont think there is a concern with pulling a trailer

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Actually, you should find several threads already about this
with Bushtec themselves doing some of the posting. I remember
reading that Honda themselves actually asked for some trailers
when developing the GL1800.

Kinda related, the bottom of my keyboard states I could develop
carpal tunnel syndrome. :shock: I doubt Honda will ever state they
are okay with pulling a trailer, but I think they are built to.

Herb

G

·
Dive Master said:
Ok Hal, I apperciate that answer, but in your experience has Honda ever refused to back any of your bikes you have sold because of towing a trailer?

Not intending to put you on the spot, but am considering buying a trailer and this is a concern.
Not to be coy, but its a question that only Honda can answer and only when you have a problem. Honda does have several exclusionary clauses.

·
Registered
8,334 Posts
They can say whatever they want in the warranty, there are laws preventing them from automatically voiding a warranty. I have the information on that at home that I could post later if nobody else does.

BUT ... you would have to take the time and money to sue Honda and also be able to prove that the hitch didn't have anything to do with whatever went wrong. So you are definitely taking a chance.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I think that if you took your GL back to the dealer with a broken rear frame piece that showed evidence of having broken as a result of excessive loading due to pulling a trailer, they might reject your claim. They do not specifically say the Gold Wing is designed to pull a trailer so that is their way of avoiding doing that repair under warranty. On the other hand, I don't think they would reject a warranty if it did not have anything bearing on whether you towed a trailer or not.

Like g1nomad said, I doubt Honda will ever state that their Gold Wing was designed to pull a trailer, even if they did consider that in their design. It just opens up too many liability hole for them to fall into. The people controlling Honda did not become the dominating producer of motorcycle because they are stupid.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
I "Think" that I remember that when the frame crack thing was young, a statement came out from Honda concerning Hacks/Trailers as being excluded. Been a long time, so don't quote me, do some research!

Here is a little tid bit I just pulled from the MH site:

If I make modifications to my vehicle will it still be covered?

"HondaCare does not cover problems that are caused by modifications, unauthorized alteration, or the incorporation or use of unsuitable attachments or parts."

Lots of room to screw, with that !

Bulldog

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
Will they void the warranty if you mount a Handle bar GPS ??? Will they void the warranty if you install Traxxion suspension components ?? Will they void the warranty if you install all ball bearings in the steering stem ?? Will they void the warranty if mount a temperature gage on the windshield ??

That is such small stuff, They won't even void the warranty if you mount a car tire, or an airplane tire on it. Or if you mount a trailer hitch and pull a trailer for a million miles, it will not void the warranty.

I have pulled trailers with all 5 of my Goldwings since 1975 and other bikes also, and none of them every said a word about it, Even left this wing at a dealer with the trailer on it for some warranty work..

Don't be paranoid, just do it, have fun and live !!

JMHO 8)

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
I do not think Honda will want potential Wing owners to think for one minute that their flagship touring bike is not allowed to pull a trailer. But, if they can legitimately claim that the trailer caused the problem that warranty is being considered for I have no doubt they will.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Hal, Fact or Fiction?
No doubt about it.:wink:
Hal's a Fact.:yes1:
Now, some of the stories we hear about him are fiction. :roll:
Well....at least I think they're fiction.:oops:
Those stories aren't for REAL are they Hal :?:
Hal?:?: :?:
Hal? :?: :?: :?:
Well, there goes another reputation.:bow: :superman1:
Who's next?:yes:
Hey, Tom asked so many questions in his post, I was gettin' brain strain.
So I figured I'd better hi-jack this in hopes that nobody would actually try to answer him. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
DC

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Something else to consider... Mother Honda's silence on towing is likely due to safety concerns over braking performance rather than any potential failures. I can't imagine that MH would take on the liability of endorsing the use of trailers knowing that some yahoo will stuff 500 pounds in one, get in a wreck because the brakes couldn't stop the bike/trailer in time, and afterwards (if still alive) they would sue for $millions.

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
I have towed a cargo trailer and a pop-up motorcycle trailer since 1994 on different GW and have NEVER had a problem. Either with the bike or the trailer.

As stated above....just enjoy the ride and GO 4 IT!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts