GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hal or others --

My B-day is coming up and the Mrs. is telling me to go out and get some gear...gotta luv it!

I want to get a jacket for year round all-weather riding. I want to be able to wear it in summer, winter, and in the rain. I also want it to be safe and protect the key areas of the body. I hear the First Gear is good.

Any suggestions? Any good Honda Wing apparrell that does the job?

Thanks much --

Tim

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have and asm very satisfied with a Tour Master Intake. It is the armoured mesh jacket that has the waterproof rain liner and the cold weather liner that zips inside of that.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Pricey

Seems great but it is a bit pricy. How is the tourmaster that the other post mentioned?
You're absolutely right, but then your skin is too :lol:

I have two First Gear Kilimanjaro suits. One is the Kili Air. I can be ridden 4 seasons. It works well at just about any temperature. If you are an extreme rider, stick a Gerbings electric jacket liner in it and you will be set for anything. Triple digit temps and a wet vest or wet shirt will take care of the heat under that air mesh suit.

That being said, I plan on stashing away some cash for that MotoPort Kevlar stuff. I don't relish the idea of striking up a relationship with a plastic surgeon - they are even pricier and they hurt!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bearhunter said:
I have and asm very satisfied with a Tour Master Intake. It is the armoured mesh jacket that has the waterproof rain liner and the cold weather liner that zips inside of that.
Is Motoport better than Tourmaster?

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Armyneo said:
Holy carp, yes.
Best quality and functionality are Motoport and Aerostich. Then FirstGear, Belstaff, Cortech, Joe Rocket, Tecnic, etc.
The cheaper ones will potentially melt to your skin in a slide. I've crashed a few times and that hasn't happened though.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Armyneo said:
Seems great but it is a bit pricy...
That's a fairly common response but one must understand Motoport produces not only custom-fit stuff but also some of the most protective gear for motorcycle riders.

Most of the nylon and even much of the Cordura garments can’t match the tear and abrasion resistant materials offered in Motoport’s high-end stuff.

All disclaimers apply

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
DT said:
Armyneo said:
Seems great but it is a bit pricy...
That's a fairly common response but one must understand Motoport produces not only custom-fit stuff but also some of the most protective gear for motorcycle riders.

Most of the nylon and even much of the Cordura garments can’t match the tear and abrasion resistant materials offered in Motoport’s high-end stuff.

All disclaimers apply
What is better Aerostich or Motoport?

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
But did you see how ugly that jacket is.....sorry....just my opinion. :)

I like my Tourmaster Intake also. Not real pricey, and as was mentioned has all the liners that zip out, pads, etc. It is mesh but works well in hot weather.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Power Trip Power Shift for me and i love it. Wife has Joe Rocket and likes it very much.

different brands fit differently, I suggest you go to and try them on first. then if they have what you decide on this is the cheapest place i know of. May not be but like i said that i know of.

http://www.newenough.com/

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
steve s said:
I like my Tourmaster Intake also. Not real pricey, and as was mentioned has all the liners that zip out, pads, etc. It is mesh but works well in hot weather.
I like mine as well. I got mine from a local "overstock" shop and got a great price. Very versatile with removable rain liner and removable thermal liner, and good protective armor. I lalso have a full Olympia set, and various leather gear. Still, Tourmaster is one jacket I can truly wear year 'round. If it's REALLY cold, I can remove the liner and wear my Gerbing liner instead.

The local shop does mail order if you're interested. Really nice folks (mom and pop shop) to deal with. Can return stuff if it doesn't fit, etc.

http://www.motogearoutlet.com/

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Armyneo said:
...What is better Aerostich or Motoport?
Both offer good products...it's the materials used, the way they are put together, and fit that matter (IMHO).

Take a look at Motoport's web site and click on the "Save Your Hide" link in the upper right-hand corner for a better understanding of the testing methodology.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Tonight I received my new Tourmaster Advanced Sport jacket. Got it at "newenough" for $75 marked down from $189. It is a fall/winter/spring jacket that is water proof and has a nice warm liner. For the price you can't beat it. For summer I have a Joe Rocket mesh jacket that works for temps up to about 100. Check out the closeouts at newenough!

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Armyneo said:
bearhunter said:
I, like some others, have Motoport Ultra ll Kevlar Air Mesh, and liners. One trip for one day to a hospital will more than make up for the price, but I don't want to find that out for myself. I'd rather have insurance and not need it, than not have insurance and need it. Same as safety gear.

But, don't take my word for it....check out this article, and come to your own conclusions....

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/motoport/

1 - 20 of 22 Posts