GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was absolutely wonderful for those board members who didn't travel through the woods and over the hills to a relatives house for the Thanks giving Holiday. Those members are basking in the savings and are the first to scold anyone who would complain. It is obvious that the Sale was conceived while you were in the bathroom and the rules were explained as the sale progressed. You didn't even know what you were going to do with In-transit Sales until the subject came up. I liked the Post where the member wondered if he should refuse the shipment and place a new order. Oops. That called for and instant rule change.
Your post that really showed the complete lack of attention to detail was the ( Our alternative is to never do this again). I agree with you. If you can't have a sale that we all can participate in then don't have one at all.
Art Vomberg

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Art,
Just curious how this would apply if you just happened not to read the Sunday paper and there was a Monday morning only sale at a local store, and you missed out on it. Would it be the store's fault?

If I had to guess, I'm sure Hal did pretty good off those of us who did order, probably enough to do it again despite all the greif he has gotten.

I know Hal said he didn't need anyone to defend him, so I'll leave it at that...

·
Registered
180 Posts
Art Vomberg said:
If you can't have a sale that we all can participate in then don't have one at all.
Art Vomberg
I missed out on some free CD-RWs yesterday at Staples because I was riding my motorcycle..Wonder if I use the quote from above, maybe they will cave in and give me the CD's I deserve...I'm glad I got in on Hals Sale...new Chrome...
Hey, some of the best ideas in America were conceived in the bathroom, message post too!

G

·
If you reread everyone's posts, NOBODY was threatening to NEVER order from HDL, etc.

Many of our questions were legitimate: I placed an order early in the week for $$$ that has NOT been shipped yet (why shouldn't I have been able to cancel it and reorder it)?? HDL's website clearly states you can return merchandise (non-special order) as long as it is resaleable. I HAVE NOT RECEIVED THE MERCHANDISE I WAS TALKING ABOUT AS IT HAS NOT SHIPPED!

BTW, I put a BUNCH of stuff on layaway for my teenage daughter at Circuit City a couple of weeks ago (if I brought it home, it would have already been discovered). Yesterday CC put many of the items on super sale - I went over and they honored the new prices (as most stores do).

If I can save some $$$, I will. I think those of you who are so thin-skinned and like to make an issue out of EVERYTHING, should just stop. As I said in my posts, I have spent over $6000 now at HDL since July. I have been a good customer and I believe I was playing within the rules.

Some of you gave me grief about asking about Gift Certificates. I asked because when HAL had a sale a while back, he forgot to remove bikes (which he quickly did). I wasn't sure if gift certificates would be honored because somebody could have ordered $18000 worth for $15300 and then used them to purchase a NEW bike (it doesn't say how the gift certificates can be used online).

Any how, put it to bed.

Happy Holidays,

Shane

·
Registered
61 Posts
Oh please, Hal isn't obligated to do anything above and beyond the prices that are offered on his web site. It doesn't make any difference how he could have planned to do this somebody would have complained about it. I guess that's human nature.

Thanks Hal for the little extra bonus that you through in the mix, remember you can't please everyone all of the time!

-David :roll:

·
Registered
823 Posts
I'm sure I missed out on some super sales yesterday, day after thanksgiving, by refusing to put up with the crowd......who's fault is that? Mine !!! If you missed the sale so be it, better luck next time.

·
Registered
185 Posts
A question for the complainers

If you had logged on this morning and Hal had announced a 15% price INCREASE, would you have felt like sending him the extra 15% for orders you placed a week ago???
I was lucky. Hal's sale cost me about 400.00!! Look how much I saved by not going out of town.
Thanks Hal.
mike

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
In reading all the posts...

...I think the main thing (and he even said this) that allowed HAL to do this larger discount (keep in mind, all of the normal prices are pretty darn good) was that it would be orders placed on the internet only. Once it started to include human intervention to make it happen (i.e. cancelling one order and then placing another), then the costs go up somewhat.

It is only natural to want to get the biggest discount possible. Goodness knows that I've spent enough money on both by Valk and my Wing that I am a good customer. However, he runs these short-duration sales to draw people to the store, either in person, or in some cases, on-line only. I know I had just done a big purchase with the 10% sale on order >$250. Sure, I would have liked another 5% off, but it was 10% when I did the order and that's that. I try hard not to 2nd guess purchases as I just make myself and everyone else miserable. So, I just try to avoid thinking about it. Usually take a ride and enjoy the great things that I have on my bikes.

If we keep this up I think we will see less sales/coupons vs. more. My advice: If you missed it and want the part now, order it now. You still have a good price. If you are really that concerned about the few bucks, then return to the board every day (just like reading a newspaper except that MOST of the news here is good and fun) and take advantange of the next sale when it comes.
Just my thoughts.
:duck:

G

·
Art

The best thing to do is call my son Chris on Monday. I will not be in the office as I have some foreign visitors coming in today.

My comment about not doing it again was a very simple reaction to the feedback we get. If there is more negative feedback than positive than I can assure you that we wouldn't do it again. It was not my intent to be spiteful but rather our decision will be based on the consensus of opinion.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
This sniping has got to stop!

I do not have to stick up for Hal nor HDL. Both Hal & HDL stand tall on their own. I just can not understand all of this "sniping" and "pot shots" that are being thrown towards Hal and his group. Enough already!

We, as customers of Hal and HDL do not "DESERVE" special pricing by any stretch of the imagination. HDL is not SEARS, Wal-Mart or JC Penny. About the only thing that we deserve because of our loyalty is customer service and competitive pricing, and we get that! Anything else is a plus and positive to those whom partake.

Art Vombergs "SOUR GRAPES" post is out of line and totally uncalled for. I am sure that if he had a legitimate concern, contacted HAL privately( we all have his cell #), then perhaps something "extra" would have been done. Hal owes nobody anything, but being the guy that he is, I am sure that he would have considered everyones concerns. I hope Hal ignores all of the snipers that took "pot shots" at him and his company. Myself being in retail, understand the concept of "The customer is alway right....Until he/she is wrong". I also understand that at times, you can not meet everyones expectation, nor can you afford some of your customers,. In these cases it is best to just cut your losses and walk away. Art, your slamming Hal, in public, about your perceived loss, and pooh poohing, is a testament to who you are. Let's see if you are man enough to apologize to Hal in Public for your "toilet" remarks. Until your post Art, I felt that you were a better man, and a force on this board!

As to the other manipulators of this sale, with your public comments, you deserve what you get. You talk about the amount of "Money" you have spent in the near past. Well good for you and I bet you shopped and then purchased at HDL because of the great price. I purchase thousands and thousands of dollars from Hal all throughout the year. I have many Friends that have wings and I buy them lots of gifts. In fact after making a rather large "sale" purchase, I ordered again yesterday, some items that I forgot about. Do I deserve a break, Hell no. The sale was not in effect. For those of you that want to cancel your order and then re order what can I say, do it. I just hope that it has not been shipped, or it will be too late and provide you with another perceived reason to be angry at our Host/Friend/Supplier.

Loosing customers is never good for business. But for those of you that have chosen to go elsewhere, you will be missed. But somehow I doubt any of you are going anywhere. HDL has the best prices as well as the price guaranty! Based on all of your comments, you are way to frugal to go anywhere else. That is one of the reasons that I am having a problem of why you would want to expose your frugality, poor sportsmanship and selfish ways, in public on this board.

I for one appreciate the break that I get from HDL every time. And when I miss a "SALE" (and I have) I just tell myself to check the board more carefully. The thrill of the hunt is what counts, and on every hunting outing, I don't necessarily bag the rabbit! For anyone to be critical of HDL is unwarranted and comes from people that are unthinking or spoiled. I for one shall support Hal, if he never ever gave another sale. Additionally, if Hal should choose not to hear your appeal, that would be fine with me. In every society, there are rules. Without rules, you get mayhem. Rule breakers must endure the consequences! This Sale, had rules and consequences!

Being an ex military man, my life is red light/green light, yes/no. We ask ourselves many times, "what is this world coming to"? The answer is discipline or the lack of it.

No Regrets about this post at all

Bulldog

·
Registered
307 Posts
Well said Bulldog

I agree 100%. I too placed an order during the sale, and I forgot to put "turkey sale" in the comments of the order. If I get the sale prices, good for me.! :D If not :cry: I still will get the things that I ordered and they are are things that I want for my bike, and at the best price I could find them at, even at Hal's regular price. The good part is, because there was a sale going on, I was able to convince my wife to let me place the order. :D So if I messed up the order process, shame on me, but I still get my goodies, at a great price, and my wife will ever know if I got the sale price or not. :p Thanks Hal for the sale!!! looking forward to the next one.

·
Registered
21,097 Posts
One of the main purposes of the turkey day sale was to coax some more of us to order over the internet instead of the phone. There was a similar sale a year or so ago and that was the first time I ordered over the internet from Hal and now that is how I prefer to order so am glad he did it. If someone feels they need to complain I would recommend calling and asking nicely to talk with Hal or Chris,don't do it on a public forum. My experience talking with Hal indicates he is a very reasonable guy. For those that missed out on the sale, don't forget these are just motorcycle parts life goes on,better luck next time. :yw1:

·
Registered
569 Posts
Sale

Great post Bulldog. I agree with you completely.

I e-mailed Hal about an $89 Kuryakyn part I needed that was not on their website. I told Hal that I was not requesting the special sale price on that part, nor did I expect that part at the sale price. Since it does require someone to intervene to handle my request, it falls ouside the rules and it wouldn't be right to expect the additional discount for the additional work that will be required to handle my request. I don't know how Hal's expenses run, but at the department I work for we have a little over a $14 million dollar annual operating budget. Nearly $12 million of that is personnel expenses.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Yeppers...

...Leonard, I'll bet you are wanting the new mounts for the old highway pegs. I bought them from Kuryakyn directly, so did not get HAL's good prices. But, I wanted them right away. By-the-way, they are a big improvement over the old mounts, both in looks and clearance.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Re: Yeppers...

wingnutzz said:
...Leonard, I'll bet you are wanting the new mounts for the old highway pegs. I bought them from Kuryakyn directly, so did not get HAL's good prices. But, I wanted them right away. By-the-way, they are a big improvement over the old mounts, both in looks and clearance.
That is exactly what I was wanting. Got an e-mail from Dirctline this morning that said they would order them for me and they should have them in about a week. I could have gotten them directly also, but I can wait a couple of weeks for them. Glad to hear they work better.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Hal was doing us a favor by having this promotion, the basic premise was announced, but sometimes it's impossible to consider all the minor details, and Hal certainly has the right to clarify or modify as needed. There is no benefit to harp and fuss over the details, instead of a benefit we could all lose out on future promotions by all the whining.

Thanks Hal! The majority of the members of this board appreciate the promotions you offer! :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Probably the last sale of this type...

I can't help but think that Hal is sitting there saying to himself - "First time shame on me, second time shame on you."
With all these moaning posts, I'm sure Hal will do one of thes sales again - yeah right!
That's a shame. I knew of the sale, but I am in the Christmas gift buying mode right now, and didn't purchase anything from Hal this time. Now I'm afraid there won't be a next time because of all the whining. Sometimes life isn't "fair", but all of us on this board are old enough to know that by now. Anyway, thanks Hal for all you do. You don't deserve this attack. :yw1:

·
Registered
441 Posts
Warmer than Florida!

I just noticed one of the tickers on the messages above (I think it was from Hal) that said the temp in Florida was 57 degrees. Here in Denver it's 59 already at 10:24am. I love Shinook winds!!

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Well said

Well said Bulldog ! I have missed quite a few sales since I have been a member. It's just one of those things that happends, except it and move on, geesh ! :?

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Since I am in business for myself, this is an issue sensitive to me as well. As Bulldog stated, Hal does not need me to come to his defense, and against my better judgement, I have to say something.

The comment about not having a sale if we all cannot participate is, well, I just am not sure what to call it. The goal of this sale was clear: "Normally Thanksgiving is a dead day for sales and this is an experiment on our part to see if we can pump that up a little." The notice of the sale was posted the day before, mid-morning. As others stated, timing is everything.
The rules of this sale were pretty simple: "If you can order it online, without human intervention and you do it today by midnight we are taking 15% off of anything that can be ordered in our online stores."

Instant rules changes? No, more like a restatement of the rules for those trying to bend them.

In regards to previous orders, canceling the old order would require human interaction, and that would not qualify for the Thanksgiving special. Not too mention going back into his system and canceling the old order and put in a new order at a reduced price is going to cost him money. "Refusing" delivery of the order would cost Hal both outbound and return freight. Trust me, UPS does not send things back for free. Sales constantly have the phrase added "Does not apply to previously purchased merchandise." It appeared to me to be there, just worded differently.
I have watched for 2 years now Hal's free oil filter program at the rallys get used and abused to the point I would have quit doing it. I've watched Chris literally beat his head realizing what was going on, but ALWAYS gave away the free filter. Guys printing out extra coupons and giving them to their friends and spouses and anyone else around. One of the rallies, you had to mention "gl1800riders.com" as the website for the filter to be free. Watched a guy give 4 or 5 wrong guesses before realizing he was not going to get the free filter.

Art, my guess is you will probably get your wish about no further sales.
Hal, it looks like you stuck your neck out and it was chopped off. Sorry.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts