GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Hal,

How about offering some deep discounts on all accessories this week since we won't be able to take advantage of your bike show prices?
Seems like you will save a bit on travel and show fees that you could pass on to us....

Gordon

·
Registered
652 Posts
Not just Hal.
Daytona Beach (Where I live) is trying to give this Goody 2shoes impression that it is a "Family destination"
They have regulated and supressed the events so much it is no longer the center of Bike week.
Don't get me wrong Bike week and Biketoberfest is still a great thing but not here!!!
It has spread out to the areas where you can still let go and not pay fines for it.
A local officer told me he was insrtucted to give out enough tickets to cover his overtime pay.
Spring break is a time for supression also. I live 3 miles from the beach and don't even know it is going on.
No more loud pipes, boobies, crazy fun, or just letting go without The Man there to give you a ticket.
It used to be a time to bring money for beer and fun now it is a time to bring a ticket fund.
Harley moved out to Ormand Beach as have many others.
Main Street still has its nostalgic charm but big brother is slowly crushing that also.
It will come to be know as Central Florida Bike week in the future as the surrounding comunities embrace the fun and funds and Daytona dies in a family orientated stoddgy death.
Just my take on it.
This reflects only my anger and frustration not the opinions of this board and maybe noone else.
TR

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
yeah! Daytona loves the money just NOT the bikers. They can't have it both ways!

I would be glad to see it move to a city where they would appreciate the bikers and the money that it generates for their city.

G

·
I will be up there on Friday and Saturday - - - - all by myself.

We made a business decision that the cost of going to and setting up at most of the shows has now gotten too expensive and with so many of us being away from the office it disrupts our normal business.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Hal hasn't gotten as big "business wise" as he has without making a bunch of good business decisions. Just wanted to make it clear I was talking about Hal's business and not the size of Hal!!! LOL's

·
Registered
28 Posts
People who move to a place like Daytona with the race track, Bike week, etc., know about these things when they buy there. If they don't want the noise, people, money etc. that go along with these events, move somewhere else.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I find it strange how people will move by a airport and then groumble. We have a dump here about 8 miles out of town. Its been there for years. They built some houses by the dump and now the people want the dump moved. the dump is privatly owned. We went to Daytona for the first time last year and wasnt there 4 min till a cop on the street tried to wave us down. I just kept going. Found out later that they were using some meter to test the pipes and if they were to loud they were giving out tickets. Cops were everywhere. On the main drag of ?Daytona cops stand all along the road with ticket books just waiting. Now thats wrong.
I feel if they want us there let it be, But dont invite me over and start reaching in my pocket without permission and thats what I feel is happening. Wither you want us there or not. Take the good with the bad. Next thing you know they will want the daytona speedway moved.
And to top all this off. At the motel I was staying at asked us to turn off our bikes when we came in and push it to the room. We laughed.
Why does csomeone always have to get in on something and ruin it ? Daytona is Daytona. Let it be Daytona. If they want us, THEN FREAKIN ACT LIKE IT !

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
In Iowa we have a little different type of problem, a guy from th ebig city sees a house for sale or farm I should say, most large places are being turned into acerages, anyway they buy a place, move in, then when the wind shifts they smell the actual farming that is being done, IE hog farm, feed lot etc, they then try to get that opperation shut down :) which fails.

Too many time folks do something without looking at all of the areas and what is really going on there.

I sure saw a lot of nudity and drunkeness at Sturgis this last summer, wasnt as much in 2001, but corp owners of this ralley seem to not want to run folks off. Maybe this will happen in Daytona?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey Hal,
I hope I get to meet you, I will be there Friday. I was just trying to get you to post a few prices on items on your site that would reflect the prices one would see at the show, or maybe offer say 10% off anything purchased between Thurs and Sunday.

Having been involved in shows like this one, I understand how it takes a toll on you and our staff.

Gordon

·
Registered
589 Posts
WarBirdBob said:
Not just Hal.
Daytona Beach (Where I live) is trying to give this Goody 2shoes impression that it is a "Family destination"
They have regulated and supressed the events so much it is no longer the center of Bike week.
Don't get me wrong Bike week and Biketoberfest is still a great thing but not here!!!
It has spread out to the areas where you can still let go and not pay fines for it.
A local officer told me he was insrtucted to give out enough tickets to cover his overtime pay.
Spring break is a time for supression also. I live 3 miles from the beach and don't even know it is going on.
No more loud pipes, boobies, crazy fun, or just letting go without The Man there to give you a ticket.
It used to be a time to bring money for beer and fun now it is a time to bring a ticket fund.
Harley moved out to Ormand Beach as have many others.
Main Street still has its nostalgic charm but big brother is slowly crushing that also.
It will come to be know as Central Florida Bike week in the future as the surrounding comunities embrace the fun and funds and Daytona dies in a family orientated stoddgy death.
Just my take on it.
This reflects only my anger and frustration not the opinions of this board and maybe noone else.
TR
Looks like you hijacked this thread pretty good so let me just say, " My father and mother taught me how to act" For those folks who didn't the police must step in. Sorry I can't support your side I lived in Daytona Beach area myself for a time.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Hal,

Just out of curiosity, where will you be on Friday? Several riders coming from Tampa that day... Like to just say "Hi".

Thanks,

Lance

·
Registered
280 Posts
I have been coming to Daytona for various reasons since I was a very small child on vacation there with my parents over 50 years ago. I must say, Daytona has seen better days. It needs to remember what made it a great vacation destination and get back to it. That includes Bike Week and Biketoberfest!!!

·
Registered
747 Posts
i think Hal should have a sale everytime he takes a dump.
damn, i own my own busines and its hard enough taking care of usual business and not having to deal with bike shows, traveling, sales discounts, computers, salespeople, ordering and all. give the guy a break.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Rum Runner said:
People who move to a place like Daytona with the race track, Bike week, etc., know about these things when they buy there. If they don't want the noise, people, money etc. that go along with these events, move somewhere else.
And if you were born and raised there you should move elsewhere so some tourists can do things they wouldn't allow on their streets at home? I think not. Let's admit it. A lot of these events have gotten out of hand and the pendulum is swinging the other way.

To most people who live and work in areas with events like this, the week of the event represents a large PITA. Unless you work in or are an owner in the hospitality industry there's not much direct positive effect on your life.

G

·
Themobb said:
Hal,

Just out of curiosity, where will you be on Friday? Several riders coming from Tampa that day... Like to just say "Hi".

Thanks,

Lance
We should be up there about Noon Friday. Staying in New Smyrna Beach. Just gonna go and take a look and visit a few friends.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts