GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

I've already got a VHF/UHF radio installed on the bike. Currently it is a Icom IC-208H and using the Kennedy/Cellset FRSSet4 http://www.cellset.com/frset.html to interface to the bike's intercomm system. I'm also using a Lowrance Iway-600C for my GPS.

I'm thinking about upgrading to the Kenwood TM-D710A radio and using the AVMap Geosat 6 - which will allow me to use APRS (Automatic Positioning/Packet Reporting System (http://www.aprs.org/) to track my travel...

I might also just get the GPS and use my TH-D72A handheld for access to the APRS system... Then I could move the GPS from my bike to my car as needed (and put the new radio in the car)...

I'll need to order a new cable from the FRSSet to the Radio - and of course purchase the rig and GPS - Does anyone else do this here? Any hints or kinks? Inquiring minds want to know....

Tom (AB3IC)

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:22yikes:

YOU PROBABLY POSTED ON THE WRONG FORUM.

73'S
CLIFF
WB4ITU
I don't think you can get much more "Tech" than this - unless there is a Ham radio forum???

Tom

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I use the TM-D710A and the Geosat 5 in my Chevy S-10 Blazer and have thought about someday getting the same radio and the G-6 for the bike.

Your TH-D72A should be plug-n-play with the G-6.

The only issue I can think of for motorcycle use would be water resistance. Living here in Washington, I sometimes don't have a choice about whether I ride in the rain!

The G-5 wouldn't survive long without some sort of cover; too many slots/ports for water to find a way in. I don't know about the new G-6 since I haven't seen one in person yet.

The 710 control head would probably need a good cover, as well.

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
I don't think you can get much more "Tech" than this - unless there is a Ham radio forum???

Tom
There is an electronics forum for this DLP site too. See if you can find Waldo, he is up on that stuff pretty well, also Jon.

prs

·
Registered
139 Posts
I installed my HT, a VX-8R with GPS on my Wing, it is the hardest thing to set up, so I downloaded APRSdroid for my EVO phone (or any droid/iphone will do) and it only took me like 45 seconds to set it up. You can look me up on the APRS site as KR4ZAN-7.

With this app on my phone I can use it whether I am on the bike, car, walking or wherever I am. Try it.

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
I have been running APRS for about 5 years now.

Equipment I am using:

Kenwood TM-D700A (Head unit does need to be covered in the rain)
Garmin GPS-18 (Waterproof)
Kennedy/Cellset FRSSet4
Comet CA2x4SR Antenna

I documented on Flickr the install as I learned from the "Pros" at MARC..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_shivers/sets/72057594059378489/

If you click through each picture one at a time, I added a little caption of what we were doing at the time...

Click on "Where is Paul?" in my signature to see my latest location broadcast.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Tom,

I have a similar setup to Paul...

Equipment I am using:

Kenwood TM-D710
Garmin GPS276C (Waterproof)
Kennedy/Cellset FRSSet4
Multiple Comet antennas

MARC is a great resource but feel free to drop me a PM if you'd like pics or have questions.

Regards,
Mike

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a water proof Yeasu Ft-10m that always stays on the handlebars and didnt want to add another rig to the bike so I went with the the 10 watt tiny track product you program and plug in.
http://www.byonics.com/mt-8000fa
just looked it up and it has been replaced with a ready to go RTG product.
http://www.byonics.com/mt-rtg
These products will put you on the air and on the map which is all I wanted as I do special events and wanted command post to know my location.

I also use my iphone to see other stations and track my station.

Don W5DK

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I got my HAM Technician's Class License today (yippie!), so now get to further my pursuit of having APRS on the bike.

Stopped at the local HAM store on the way home, and got this recomendation... I invite any feedback, especially as the gent was not directly knowledgable of the type of Antennae and Bracket rec'd by MARCS for use on the wing:

-Radio: Yaesu FTM-350AR
-Software: Travel Plus CD (List all the repeater sites in the country)
-Software: ADMS-350 (Enables programming of the repeater sites into the radio's presets)

There were only Two radios available for me to see, that had a Remote Keypad (to mount on the handle bar) while the radio unit stayed in the trunk... I wonder if I should also consider Hand-held units?

Any input appreciated.

WA6UNC

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got my HAM Technician's Class License today (yippie!), so now get to further my pursuit of having APRS on the bike.

Stopped at the local HAM store on the way home, and got this recomendation... I invite any feedback, especially as the gent was not directly knowledgable of the type of Antennae and Bracket rec'd by MARCS for use on the wing:

-Radio: Yaesu FTM-350AR
-Software: Travel Plus CD (List all the repeater sites in the country)
-Software: ADMS-350 (Enables programming of the repeater sites into the radio's presets)

There were only Two radios available for me to see, that had a Remote Keypad (to mount on the handle bar) while the radio unit stayed in the trunk... I wonder if I should also consider Hand-held units?

Any input appreciated.

WA6UNC
Congrats on the new ticket - - -

I would ask around and find out how much is happening with APRS in the areas where you intend to ride. If you can get away low power and a rubber-duck antenna (which actually gives you pretty good coverage), you might want to consider the Kenwood TH-D72A. It has a TNC and a GPS unit built right in, so you don't need to add them on - Will also read the ARRL travel-plus CD, and has dual band operation, so you can have the APRS running on band A, and be scanning your local repeaters on band B. Kenwood also has a great - free - application to use to program 99% of the functions of the radio. I really like mine....

Go to www.kenwoodusa.com - take a look at the rig, and download the owner's manual (the in-depth version is best) to see all the cool stuff it can do.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
...I would ask around and find out how much is happening with APRS in the areas where you intend to ride. If you can get away low power and a rubber-duck antenna (which actually gives you pretty good coverage), you might want to consider the Kenwood TH-D72A...
> You are the 2nd person to recommend that unit to me; the reviews on it sound pretty good too (at least to my novice ear)
> In regards the "Low Power" of this unit, is that going to be an issue on cross-country travel? (eg Will it work in the middle of Utah?)... or, should I consider a "High Power" unit like the YAESU FTM-350AR?

> I was steered to the Yaesu by the local ham shop... but the sales guy admitted that he was not an expert on APRS/bikes.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
> You are the 2nd person to recommend that unit to me; the reviews on it sound pretty good too (at least to my novice ear)
> In regards the "Low Power" of this unit, is that going to be an issue on cross-country travel? (eg Will it work in the middle of Utah?)... or, should I consider a "High Power" unit like the YAESU FTM-350AR?

> I was steered to the Yaesu by the local ham shop... but the sales guy admitted that he was not an expert on APRS/bikes.
Go to this web-site: http://k6ib.com/aprs/

On the left side of the page, you'll see "Fine APRS Activity" - click on that. On the page it will take you to, enter a location (city and state) then select "Order list by last received report" - this will return a listing of all the "heard" stations.

This is also a fun site to play with: http://aprs.fi/ - you can do the same kind of research there, but presents the data on a google-map.

As far as power goes, there will always be places you will find where no amount of power will make a difference. I suspect that the middle of Utah might be such a place...

In making many purchases over many years, I've always done my own research and considered the advice given by sales-people. I've put a lot more credence in what other hams think. A friend of mine purchased an FTM-350 about a year ago, and sold it within a month. I've sent him an e-mail asking what he liked and dis-liked about the radio and will post his reply when I get it.

And here is a quick comparison between a couple of systems and what you would need to be APRS Active:

Yaesu - FTM-350AT: $569.95 (HRO Price)
FGPS-1 Internal GPS Unit: $79.95
Plus mobile VHF/UHF antenna - I use the Comet SBB-5 for the bike because it is ground independant - antenna and mount: Around $120 depending on the mount you choose.

Kenwood - TM-D710A: $524.95
External GPS: AVMAP G-6 (the gold standard) $499.95
(I use an old Garmin e-Trex yellow handheld) that you can get on e-bay for around $100 - Any GPS unit with a non-USB, NMEA output will work)
You'll also need an external VHF/UHF antenna...

Kenwood - TH-D72A: $464.95 - everything built in, but much lower power.

Micro-Trak: (http://www.byonics.com/mt-rtg) - Very inexpensive, but still needs external GPS input - and antenna...

What kind of bike do you ride? I'm on a GoldWing, so have more options for mounting - antenna placement, etc. than someone on a sportbike or cruiser. Also, are you a member of a local club - if not, find one - if yes, then take advantage of them and find an APRS expert there who can give you more direct advice.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
In making many purchases over many years, I've always done my own research and considered the advice given by sales-people. I've put a lot more credence in what other hams think. A friend of mine purchased an FTM-350 about a year ago, and sold it within a month. I've sent him an e-mail asking what he liked and dis-liked about the radio and will post his reply when I get it.
I just spoke to my buddy about his experience with the FTM-350. He told me that he really liked the big, easy to read, display, but that was the only thing he liked about the rig.

He told me that the volume controls on the dual VFO's was "clicky" and difficult to make work. The sensitivity of the radio was an issue for him, and the mounting for the remote head was less than optimum. Like most Yaesu's, it is very menu dependent, so things that ought to be readily available are buried and take multiple button pushes to access and change. He also told me that the remote head is rather large and might be difficult to mount on a motorcycle. He didn't use the APRS capabilities of the rig, so he didn't have an opinion on that.

All that said - every radio has its positives and negatives - and what one person finds as a minus, may be a plus to you. The final decision will be yours. Whatever you get, I hope you enjoy it, and give us a report on your experiences...

Tom, AB3IC

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Running FT-8880R with Diamond NR-770HA, but no APRS. I just don't think it's anyones elses business to know where I am.:eek:4:
I just moved my FT-8800R out of the car and installed a Kenwood TM-D710A. I currently have the Icom IC-208 on the bike, but plan on moving the FT-8800R there - and will probably sell the IC-208 to help defray some costs (hi hi)..

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
...Kenwood - TH-D72A: $464.95 - everything built in, but much lower power.

Micro-Trak: (http://www.byonics.com/mt-rtg) - Very inexpensive, but still needs external GPS input - and antenna...

What kind of bike do you ride?...
> If the Kenwood turned out to be too low-powered, then would it be possible to add a Larger Antenna onto it, to increase the range somewhat equivalent to what I could expect using the FTM-350AR?... perhaps carry a large antenna, used only for "emergencies", and use the short/whip antenna the rest of the time?

> The Micro-Trak site says that the GPS and Antenna are included, in the ~$200 cost. This seems to be a very inexpensive way to test the whole APRS adventure, to first verify adequate coverage on typical routes (eg In the Middle of UT) before taking a more expensive plunge.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Tom

I sure like my FT-8800R on the bike! I have it remoted with the head on a double RAM mount off the R handlebar, just under my Garmin 376C/Nexrad. Then the main unit is velcro'ed to the left side interior trunk box, using the Kennedy audio interface/PTT/etc. The NR-770HA is mounted on a piece of aluminum flat strap that's bolted up the forward side (center) of the trunk box under the passenger's rear seat cushion, then bent past 90 degrees to place the diamond on the same angle as the other two antennas. Also, the NR-770HA is a ground plane-less antenna, however the Kuryakyn luggage rack probably helps a little? SWR is great and I get the exact same range with the bike as I do from my dually truck with the exact same set-up.

Good luck with your install!!

Regards, N5YU

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
> If the Kenwood turned out to be too low-powered, then would it be possible to add a Larger Antenna onto it, to increase the range somewhat equivalent to what I could expect using the FTM-350AR?... perhaps carry a large antenna, used only for "emergencies", and use the short/whip antenna the rest of the time?

> The Micro-Trak site says that the GPS and Antenna are included, in the ~$200 cost. This seems to be a very inexpensive way to test the whole APRS adventure, to first verify adequate coverage on typical routes (eg In the Middle of UT) before taking a more expensive plunge.
You could certainly run the HT into a better antenna - I recommend the Comet SBB-5 because it is a ground-independent antenna - The antenna connector on the HT is an SMA, so you'd need an adapter. For most of your riding, the HT and rubber-ducky antenna would be more than sufficient. If you get out in the unpopulated areas, I don't think a higher power or better antenna would help - I guess we have a new philosophical question - If an APRS beacon is sent in the wilderness, but no-one is around to hear it, did it make a sound?

I don't know much about the Micro-Trak system, but at ~$200 it would be an inexpensive way to get a start with APRS - But I think I'd be upgrading to a more flexible and capable system pretty quickly.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Tom

I sure like my FT-8800R on the bike! I have it remoted with the head on a double RAM mount off the R handlebar, just under my Garmin 376C/Nexrad. Then the main unit is velcro'ed to the left side interior trunk box, using the Kennedy audio interface/PTT/etc. The NR-770HA is mounted on a piece of aluminum flat strap that's bolted up the forward side (center) of the trunk box under the passenger's rear seat cushion, then bent past 90 degrees to place the diamond on the same angle as the other two antennas. Also, the NR-770HA is a ground plane-less antenna, however the Kuryakyn luggage rack probably helps a little? SWR is great and I get the exact same range with the bike as I do from my dually truck with the exact same set-up.

Good luck with your install!!

Regards, N5YU
Thanks for the comment - I already have the IC-208 on the bike and am using the Kennedy set-up the same as you - the only thing I should have to change out would the be cable between the interface box and the radio.

I use the Comet SBB-5 antenna, and have it on a trunk-lip mount on my Honda luggage rack. The SBB-5 is supposed to be ground independant, but I ran a ground strap from the luggage rack to the frame anyways - figured it couldn't hurt. I get pretty good range with it and have been happy with the set-up so far. It should be pretty easy to swap out the radio.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts