GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for possible knowlege of the amateur radio operators on this site. Another ham friend with a GL1800 and I have been wondering if we could use our current in-helmet mike and speakers for use with our Yaesu handheld transceivers. To go even further, since neither of us have a built in CB radio, could we hijack the PTT and audio system of the Goldwing to our advantage. We would just use the handi-talkies on their own battery power and leave them in the trunk or saddlebag. I don't think either of us want to add any more of the auxillary "combi boxes" that are available for anything from a Ipod to a cell phone, etc. Any ideas?

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Jon offers the easiest route to take Larry.
I've done it a couple of times on 1500's and an 1800
and each time has been a trial and error affair.
Some things you can run into....
the helmet mic isn't an impedance match for the handheld.
Some handhelds use the "powered" electret or condenser mic element.
The gain of the mic output can be wrong.
Noise can get in everywhere so shielded everything is required.
You can use the bikes CB interface but you have to dig into the bike wiring pretty far.
If I remember right I usually had to relay switch the mic between the
bike's intercom and the ham radio (using the PTT to trigger the relay).
I don't remember all the things I ended up doing, but after three of them,
I decided it wasn't worth all that work, plus you end up with a one-of-a-kind
install that just about only you can ever work on.
You're a ham, I'm sure you can do it....but I will spend the extra bucks
and go the way Jon suggests if I add any ham radios again. :lol:
DC

·
Registered
439 Posts
I used ear buds and an home made ptt with radio shake condenser mike once . This was with my icom t2h . I highly recomend the cellset this is what I use now . It works with radio shack cb, t2h, or my midland gmrs .

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I have just bought and fitted the Autocom Pro 300 set up and changed out the headsets etc. The main unit is velcro'ed into the LH passenger pocket.

The Uniden 078sx UHF handheld is installed into the front LH fairing pocket and hooked up with the Autocom handlebar push to talk. It also works on VOX. My mobile phone is set to auto answer and lives in the trunk.

Snap to install. See Fred's excellent photo's.

Trev.

·
Registered
206 Posts
There are already a couple of threads on this topic floating around.

I mount a mobile Kenwood in either the trunk or saddlebag, remote head up front someplace, and audio and PTT interface via Kennedy Cellset. In my case, I've got a Larsen NMO mount built into my luggage rack with a dual band 2/70 antenna.

Check out MARC - it's a club out in CA consisting of hams with motorcycle mobile rigs. They've got a lot of info, and have tried just about everything you could think of to make a ham radio work on a bike.

73 de
N7KUW
Carl

1 - 6 of 6 Posts