GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have Yaesu FT-60R that I'd like to install on my bike. Has anyone installed any type of handheld on their Goldwing?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Mark,

Check out the Motorcycling Amateur Radio Clud (MARC) website:

www.marc-hq.org

MARC members -- P Shivers is one -- have installed hundreds of amateur radios on their motorcycles. Everything from a 2M HT to full-blown HF rigs with "screwdriver" antenna...!

Lots of good info on the website. Some how-to articles also. I *assume* that you have a Wing, probably a GL-1800. These are one of the better motors for Ham Radio. Kennedy Technology www.cellset.com makes plug-N-Play "black boxes" that connect into the Intercom and allow a standard helmet headset to TX and TX from/to the helmet.

If you are really serious about using it often while riding, then I suggest that you use a separate PTT under the left handlebar near the left thumb. An external antenna will perform much better that the rubber-duck common to HTs.

J & M in Tucson AZ www.jmcorp.com also makes a "hip pack" that integrates a bunch of devices into the headset -- the catch here is that it has to be a J & M headset...! The other catch is that you don't want to mention Ham anything. If you talk to them you've got a Kenwood "Free-talk" FRS/GMRS radio...!

Good Luck...!

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
:flg:..

I am one of those full blown HF'ers with full size Screwdriver type anthennas .

My self and another guy, both of us on GL-1500's hold the record for being the first two guys on motorcycles to have a QSO in motion on CW, He was in Canada and I was in state of Washington, we were on 20 meters.

That means that he and I were operating morse code on our motorcycles while riding down the road.. We talked to each other. I had my morse code key mounted on the right hand handle bar where I could get to it and do throttle duties !

JMHO :cool:

:flg:

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The other catch is that you don't want to mention Ham anything.
What do they have against ham radio?

I will check out MARC. Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts