GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have Yaesu FT-60R that I'd like to install on my bike. Has anyone installed any type of handheld on their Goldwing?

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
I have Yaesu FT-60R that I'd like to install on my bike. Has anyone installed any type of handheld on their Goldwing?
Ask pshivers. He and several others have installed 2M mobil but not necessarily HTs.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Mark,

Check out the Motorcycling Amateur Radio Clud (MARC) website:

www.marc-hq.org

MARC members -- P Shivers is one -- have installed hundreds of amateur radios on their motorcycles. Everything from a 2M HT to full-blown HF rigs with "screwdriver" antenna...!

Lots of good info on the website. Some how-to articles also. I *assume* that you have a Wing, probably a GL-1800. These are one of the better motors for Ham Radio. Kennedy Technology www.cellset.com makes plug-N-Play "black boxes" that connect into the Intercom and allow a standard helmet headset to TX and TX from/to the helmet.

If you are really serious about using it often while riding, then I suggest that you use a separate PTT under the left handlebar near the left thumb. An external antenna will perform much better that the rubber-duck common to HTs.

J & M in Tucson AZ www.jmcorp.com also makes a "hip pack" that integrates a bunch of devices into the headset -- the catch here is that it has to be a J & M headset...! The other catch is that you don't want to mention Ham anything. If you talk to them you've got a Kenwood "Free-talk" FRS/GMRS radio...!

Good Luck...!

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
:flg:..

I am one of those full blown HF'ers with full size Screwdriver type anthennas .

My self and another guy, both of us on GL-1500's hold the record for being the first two guys on motorcycles to have a QSO in motion on CW, He was in Canada and I was in state of Washington, we were on 20 meters.

That means that he and I were operating morse code on our motorcycles while riding down the road.. We talked to each other. I had my morse code key mounted on the right hand handle bar where I could get to it and do throttle duties !

JMHO :cool:

:flg:

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The other catch is that you don't want to mention Ham anything.
What do they have against ham radio?

I will check out MARC. Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts