GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wandering if anyone has had a problem with the brake light switch on the hand brake. My 03 GL1800 and my son's 05 GL 1800 has stopped working. It is under warranty and dealer will replace. However you never know that it is not working until someone is following.[/b]

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
jer31822 said:
Just wandering if anyone has had a problem with the brake light switch on the hand brake. My 03 GL1800 and my son's 05 GL 1800 has stopped working. It is under warranty and dealer will replace. However you never know that it is not working until someone is following.[/b]
I take it you have OEM levers... but, that's not an uncommon problem with the switches. When my hand brake switch quit I pulled the cover off and sprayed it well with contact cleaner. Since then no problems.

I check my brake light switches by looking at my digital voltmeter while the engine is idling. Activating either the hand brake or the foot brake causes a dip in the voltage before the alternator is able to bring it back up to the normal 14.3 volts.

I check the brake lights occasionally by looking for reflections from cars behind me when we're stopped, or reflections from storefront windows. And, when riding two-up I can ask my wife for a quick brake light check before we leave.

I've never had a brake light failure, but the switches definitely need to be checked frequently.

·
Registered
268 Posts
If you look closely there is a hole in the bottom of the front brake switch housing. If you spray electrical contact cleaner in this hole and work the brake lever, this usually fixes the problem. Don't let the cleaner get on the paint and I wouldn't use WD-40, as it collects too much dust and crud. JMHO George

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Brake Light Switch

Thanks for the info. I'll give the cleaner a try. This was my first post and I appreciate the help.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,578 Posts
I have had my front brake switch replaced two times now under warranty. I have never had a brake light switch fail on any other motorcycle I have owned. I know it's a small problem and you can clean the switch and sometimes it will work again, but I'm taking my bike back and having it replaced under warranty if it fails. If there are enough warranty claims for this 10 dollar part, then maybe Honda will do something about it and replace it with a better designed switch. My dealer says it's a fairly common problem and he has had a replacement switch in stock both times I have had the failure. Took him about 5 minutes to replace the switch while I waited.

·
Registered
109 Posts
front brake switch

Replaced mine after cleaning it several times. Was inop at times then would work again. Burnt contacts in old switch that would stick at times.
Cheap switch for sure, I too have never had to replace one before.

03 GL1800

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks so much for your post! Great Board and Wonderful People! Look forward to spending more time with you folks. Must post a picture of my CANDY RED 03.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts