GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen some web sites about hand making some trailers for the GL1800. All of this seems logical in lieu of spending 5K for the show room style trailers.

The biggest question I have is the Car Topper. Which ones have a quality top, especially with Air Shocks for holding top open?

Anyone researched this, or better yet......... Did it?

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
if i ever go the trailer route, ill try the under $ 400 car top clam shell and utility trailer route. ther will be a few concessions in features. perhaps the gas shocks and cooler holder will not be avaible. but good basic service will be there.

i saw the selection at the show in chicago, of course very nice. too bad the $ 4000 number was so common.

loren

·
Registered
82 Posts
Brian, I have read where people have tried using gas pressurized shocks on cargo carriers without success. The problem lies in the fact that these carriers are lightweight ABS and the shocks are too strong and will twist the carrier lid out of shape.

I just completed my trailer using a Harbor Freight trailer kit and a Sears 20 cubic foot carrier. The carrier comes with some cheesy little arms that only allow the lid to open about 30 degrees. I removed those and attached some lightweight chain to allow the lid to open just past 90 degrees. The only problem I can antipate is having the trailer open in a strong wind.

There are definitely some compromises in having a home made trailer versus a commercial trailer but IMO the cost difference more than compensates for those compromises.

Go to www.delphiforums.com/MCTrailertowing and take a look around. There is a wealth of information there on homemade trailers.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I think for those who can't afford a factory trailer, home made ones work just fine.

Mine tows great, I never know it is back there. I agree, the issue of it being open is a pain in the wind, but I can live with it.

Maybe someday I'll have a fancy one, but until then, mine works just great!

·
Registered
213 Posts
I used the 15 cu.ft. Sears topper. I found the 20 cu.ft. larger than my needs and the smaller 15 cu.ft. lid is more sturdy, IMO. Gas shocks on these carriers is overkill unless you can find light-weight ones.

If you only plan on using a trailer once or twice per year, like I do, then a home-made makes sense. Otherwise, spend the bucks and get a Bushtec or the like. Mine cost $500 to build.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
menards lumber yard has a 40 x 48 trailer kit for $ 144 on sale right now. looks like it would make a nice alternative to the factory made $$$$ ones.

loren

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Tom,
I like the spare carrier! Might have to get some details on that from you when I get home. Right now mine just lays in the cargo area.

That is if you still don't hold me stealing my trailer out from under you :a13:

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
There is a company in the south that makes a trailer for about $800. One major concern is the responsibillity of liability. No matter how you make one, cost will run close to $500. You are considered the manufacturer of this item and legal gardian in court relating to any liabilties forever, even if sold to someone else. For the $300 extra of a manufactured trailer, all the legality is on someone else, and you can sell it with no further risk. Just a reality of life to point out !

1 - 9 of 9 Posts