GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that the temperature is starting to dip, I am looking at ways to keep the wind off my hands. I was looking at the hand wings. How well do they work? I cant wear thick gloves. I need to feel the grips and I get a cramp in my hands from squeezing too tight. I do have a pair of Klim liners that fit under my summer riding gloves but I would still like to get the wind deflected around my hands more.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Now that the temperature is starting to dip, I am looking at ways to keep the wind off my hands. I was looking at the hand wings. How well do they work? I cant wear thick gloves. I need to feel the grips and I get a cramp in my hands from squeezing too tight. I do have a pair of Klim liners that fit under my summer riding gloves but I would still like to get the wind deflected around my hands more.
Not sure how to quantify "how well", but have had mine for a few years, and they make quite a difference, very nice when riding below 60 degrees or so to help avoid need for gloves til around upper 40's, then open them up above 70 degrees or so for a nice feel of the wind....

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
I have the Baker hand wings that mount to the bottom of the mirror housings.
My first set was back in 2005 I put on my Goldwing that was new that same year.
Commuting to work, I gave them a test. 38 degrees outside. I wore my summer gloves.
With the wings in the closed position, my hands got cool, not cold.
I have to say these are vary effective. As for the other wings they sell to mount on the bike, I
have never felt I needed them. The Hand wings are enough for me. Also... when the Wife is
with me, she asks to have them open or closed depending on the temp. These really effect the
air flow over her thighs.
Corventure Dave

·
Registered
161 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Wind wings on my 03 and they work great. Works on those cold days, only wear light gloves. Summer when the temperatures climb nice breeze on your arm pits and below. Get them you will not regret it. Easy install also.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
You don't list the year go your bike. I had Baker Hand Wings and Air Wings on my 2004 and now on my 2012. Using both really makes a difference. The Air Wings also benefit the passenger.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
We still don't know what year or model the OP has! Easy enough to add to the signature line.
It's important in trying to respond t his question. Not many members seem to add the year.
It should be mandatory when signing up. Moderator's???? JMHO
Gesture Hat Helmet Water Happy

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
I have Baker's under the mirrors on my 2010 and Show Chrome's on my 2018. Those items were very high on my list of getting on a new bike when I got one. Open them up on a hot day and close them up when it is colder depending on what coat I have. Much better than trying to use "hippo hand" bar end enclosures. I gave them a try many years ago and found the air deflectors under the mirrors to be the better choice.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
I have the tulsa ones IMO they look better and more discreet not sure if you can still buy them thought (y)
I had the Tulsa's on my 2004 before the Bakers. I liked the way the looked, but the ones on the mirrors had limited adjustment. The side ones worked great.
I kept them when I traded my 2004. The Tulsa side wings would not fit my 2012 because of the way they mounted.
Tulsa no longer is in business.

·
Registered
6,214 Posts
I have the National Cycle version and they are wonderful. It is amazing how much wind they displace.
Those will be the next ones I get. Have had Tulsa's and now Baker's. The National's have a ratcheting mechanism that I really like.

Reactions: DaWadd

·
Registered
2018 DCT Tour
1,097 Posts
Here's some info long overdue on this forum:
I tried the Honda factory deflectors and didn't care for them. They seemed to deflect air away from my hands fairly well when the weather was cooler back in the early spring, but didn't do so well in the warmer weather... at deflecting air toward the rider. Reason being, their axis of rotation is too close to the bike and doesn't allow them to scoop much air toward the rider when opened up and hoping for cooler air when it's hot outside. That's part of why I sold them and went with Show Chrome's hand wings instead. They were superior in the warmer weather... not to mention close to half the cost of the OEM wings from Honda. That said, the air that hits my hands on my 2018 Wing comes from two directions: half of it from over top of the mirror, and half of it from underneath. The wings only deflect that which comes under, the other half of incoming air (from above) still hits the hands, so hand wings only handle about half the problem when the air is cold and needs to be deflected elsewhere. But they do work well, and make a significant difference when it's cold, even deflecting significant air away from upper thighs and tummy area.
I wish somebody would have posted this information long ago on the forum. It would have saved me a bunch of time and money. Reason being, Honda would not allow me to return my air wings (even though they were brand new) as the dealer considered them to be special order and would not take them back once I left the dealership with them. No biggie, they've been sold and another forum member got a steal on the price.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
2018 DCT Tour
1,097 Posts
Rufasim,
Forgot to mention that you might consider a pair of those motorcycle gloves designed to be thick and insulated on the top half of the hand, and thin and flexible on the palm side. They're much easier to use, don't require using extra muscle to hang on, and have little or no insulation on the palm side, thus transferring heat from the heated grips better.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts