GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All, I've just traded for an '07 wing without CB. I've got a Kennedy FRSet4 interface that I used on the '02 wing for ham radio ('02 had factory CB). This time I decided to give it a try using a handheld CB.

Any suggestions of a decent (cheap) handheld CB that has jacks for external speaker and mic/PTT? This "should" allow me to use the same DIP switch settings for the CB as for the 2 meter rig - that is what I would like anyway. That would allow me to just switch the cable from the FRSet4 to radio (different cables due to different connector on radio end).

Thanks for any info,
Ken H>
K9FV

·
Squating Member
7,058 Posts
I'd check on Ebay for what you're looking for.

You know what you need and know the prices, you can get a good deal..

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's just it, I'm not sure what I need in the way of a CB handheld. I wish a HT that has the PTT just by grounding a pin, with mic and speaker outputs.

The PTT to ground is so it will be the same as the IC-2100 - some radios like the TRC-241 requires a resistor connected between the mic low and high wires (mic input and shield) wires for PTT. That is the same as the VX-150 HT - and I'd rather have just ground a wire for PTT - I think it will be a bit easier to switch between ham and CB. I expect to use CB perhaps 3 or 4 times a year - About what I used the CB on the '02 wing I had so decided not to invest in factory CB..... I wonder how much would be recouped in 2 or 3 yrs on trade with factory CB vs no CB?

Thanks for the input.

Ken H>

·
Registered
439 Posts
I use the Icom t2h . Two pins ,one for speaker one for mic. The radio shack ht Cb works well with it and the kennedy set up . The R.S. cb can be used with battery pack or it comes off making the radio 1/2 size . It has a socket for running 12v in the side of the radio .The plug doesn't come with radio . The rubber duck is not great but will work for short distance . Two notes I use the kennedy ptt switch . This works well with the Midland gmrs radios too .

·
Registered
411 Posts
Which CB?

Can you help me with which model Radio Shack CB you are referring to? I'd like to add a CB HT to the wing, but would like to integrate it into the existing circuitry to be able to take advantage of the PTT switch and the other integrated electronics.

Also, is it worthwhile to attempt to relocate the rubber ducky antenna to get better range?

Thanks!

Cloud9

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
The Cobra 38 is a popular choice. It works for me.

David M.

·
Registered
439 Posts
cloud9 If I understand you right you wont be able to use the bikes volume and other controls with a hand held cb . You can use the ptt BUT you need to talk to Kennedy to see what the issues are with using it instead of their ptt . The cb I was talking about was the Weather Alert cb Walkie Talkie from radio shack . TRC-241 I think this maybe the part # 21-1679
as far as moving the rubber duck I don't think that would help much . When I use mine I have it in a ram mount on the handle bars with radio in the vertical . I have lost contact with people in as little as a 1/2 mile or so but for what I need it's good enought . You can use a bnc with the honda antenna to get more range .Guys If I wonted a cb as my main talk box I would go with the honda cb . Myself I hate cb and after a trip we took this week I am thinking gmrs radio is going to go the same way .

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to all for the info - I am looking at the Cobra 38, and also the Midland HT - it's about half price of the Cobra 38 it seems. Both use the same Kennedy harness.

Rider1, The Kennedy interface allows the use of the bikes intercom volume to control the volume of the mic output and loudness of the received signal. There is a "balance" that must be acheived between the mic gain and the received volume. Kennedy has an interface (blackbox) that allows the use of the bike's CB PTT - you just can not have both the bike's CB and the HT powered on at the same time. OR you can just use a pushbutton mounted for the PTT and save the $50 for the Kennedy PTT interface blackbox.

I expect the rubber duck antenna on the CB Handheld to have about the same range as does the stock Honda CB setup - not much. 1/2 mile for bike to bike is just fine, and might even get to a mile? About what we got on the '02 wing with factory CB setup. And the 1500 wings were not much better.

Were I using the CB very much I would certainly have got the factory CB installed also, but on the '02 I doubt I used it 2 or 3 times a year - just didn't seem worth while - but maybe so. Cost of $800 to have installed? Then how much would it bring in 2 or 3 yrs for selling or trade?

Thanks to all for the info.

Ken H>

·
Registered
439 Posts
That's now it works on mine Kenh. I use the kennedy ptt ,it mounts under the left grip and plugs right into the frset4 . I should have inclued the info about the intercom thanks . I 'm not sure but I think when cloud9 said "would like to integrate it into the existing circuitry to be able to take advantage of the PTT switch and the other integrated electronics. " I took it that he thought the kennedy set up would let him use all the bikes cb controlls not just the ptt . Sorry
I like the frs/gmrs radio for size/weight . On the trip we took this week I had to put up with " breaker breaker for the big fat momma " And where you at you son :"?>B":>? for a couple of miles but they worked ok other than that :D . I guess 2m just spoils ya! :lol:

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
CB is not a real problem for us when riding - we use channel 1 most all the time, keep the squelch turned up as high as it will go so not much garbage gets in. Given a choice, I'd sure like for my brother to get his ham license also and just use 2 m FM, but then we've got other friends who make trips sometimes and they have CB, so still have a need (desire?) for the CB.

73 de Ken H>

·
Registered
1,471 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
I had a Cobra and the Kennedy and it worked fine. The rubberduck antenna worked almost as well as the Honda Antenna. (Unless you have a aftermarket windshield. Then the rubberduck may bump the window.) You will be able to use the push to talk but you change channel and squelch with the CB radio controls.

Sounds like you already know that you will have to buy a CB that has the same kind of hookup as the the Kennedy you already have. Probably two or three wire connectors from Kennedy to Radio.

If you do a search on this board for Redwing03 Pictures you will find pictures of the mount I made from Aluminum. It was a quick on and off and the radio was secure. I got the idea from someone else on this board. I was somewhat concerned about the idea of an accident and sliding over the bracket. It would have done a lot of damage to a rider.

I later bought and installed the Honda CB.

The downside of the handheld is you have to remove it any time you leave the bike, remember it comes off real easy. Also , have to cover it when it looks like rain. I just used a plastic bag and punched a hole for the antenna to stick out. Little cumbersom to make adjustments to the handheld CB with gloves while you are riding.

If you ride with others, the CB or somekind of communication device really does make the trip more enjoyable. I don't care to chat on the CB but I like being able to plan for a rest or gas stop.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, Tommy - that is one of the CB HT I am considering - they are decent priced.

Redwing, you are correct about the use of a CB - If I used it a lot, I would have had a factory CB installed, now I'm thinking perhaps I should have anyway just for that 2/3 times a yr I do use it. I talked with my dealer this morning and he the factory CB I had on the '02 I traded in, was worth $600 on trade-in. Since it costs about $865 to have dealer install radio/antenna at time of purchase, That's less than $100 per year to have the CB if I trade again in 3 yrs. Oh well, I'll try this way. I've had Honda CB on the last 2 wings I had, so this is the first for me, not to have a CB.

There are actually 4 wires on the radio harness for the 38 Cobra or the Midland mentioned. They both use the same Kennedy WMA (??) radio harness. That has one pair for the mic, and one pair for the speaker, then internally it places a resistor across the mic low and high wires for the PTT. That is the same way the VX-150 Yeasu HT I used on the last bike worked (different harness).

Ken H>

Ken H>

1 - 13 of 13 Posts