GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed EC heated grips. Went pretty smooth. Putting the black plastic covers back on is proving to be a bit of a chore. There are already extra wires in there from the Ipod (power and audio) and the XM on the other side (power and audio). I think I lost a screw to one of the black holes (I have rags stuffed in the ones I knew about, but it sure is gone). What is your opinion about just using two or three ties around the handle bars and leaving the plastic covers off? Look unprofessional? Any functional problems? Or any other options when the channels are getting kind of full under there?

As a P.S., I got Freds videos today, nice to have that kind of detail explained on these projects.

Thanks in Advance,

Bill

·
Registered
615 Posts
Bill , black ties work fine, just not too tight. No problem with look or room. I left the wire channel there then tied the other wires on the side of it. No problems.

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Bill,
Zip ties tcch, tch, tch. You have just committed an unpardonable sin against your Wing. Now she has lost her whole equilibrium and you may begin to occassionally dump your bike. In it's unbalanced state she may track down the road while noticably listing to that lighter side. Your tire treadwear pattern will become uneven and may even cup on you. If allowed to go on long enough it may even create an decel wobble on your bike. For love of God and Goldwings everywhere do not desecrate that bike and put that channel back on immediately.
:p :p :p :p :p

·
Registered
5,943 Posts
Hey Bill,
Those wire ties will probably work. Besides when somebody says something about how they look, you can just tell them your a Yooper, and they'll understand. Yeah, eh...
That's okay, I'll still ride with you when we get a chance.

You ought to think about coming out to Cats-Cade.
Lots of fun. Lots of good people. Lots of good riding. It doesn't get much better than that.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you, I appreciate the responses. I have been trying to think of something to secure the wires without going around the bars with ties.

CJ, thanks for the invite to Cats-Cade. I checked my calendar, I do not have that weekend off so won't be able to make it this year. Maybe we can meet at the bridge for the annual benefit ride.

Bill

·
Registered
19,374 Posts
I too run extra wires underneath the bars I got 1/4" longer screws and this works for me. Black zip ties will work too. Besides think of the high sprung weight you save 3.2 ounces.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Laen,

Ureka! The longer screws should work! Thank you! :D

Bill

P.S. This is a short post because right now I am driving to an auto parts store to see if they have longer screws! :lol:

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The longer screws worked fantastic (got the hex head screwes, they are even black) . I am most happy to report that I indeed did NOT lose another screw inside the wing. It was under the wifes car!!! :lol:

The covers are reinstalled, all wires tucked away neatly, the EC grip warmers work fantastic and the bike is back together. Now I just have to wait another 14 weeks for the weather to cooperate!

Bill in da U.P.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts