GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just me or are the bars way too narrow and low on an 1800?I just picked up an 04 1800 and am not so in love so far.I like my bars fairly high and wide.Just a better feel and control for me.Got a good deal on this thing,but I gotta say the the old 1500 with the bars adjusted as far up as I could go without scraping the windsheild feels a whole lot better.Is there any way to adjust these things or risers/bars that could rectify this?

Thanks Chris

·
Registered
7,618 Posts
Two things. Risers and a 1/2" drill.

CLICK ME

·
Registered
400 Posts
Is it just me or are the bars way too narrow and low on an 1800?I just picked up an 04 1800 and am not so in love so far.I like my bars fairly high and wide.Just a better feel and control for me.Got a good deal on this thing,but I gotta say the the old 1500 with the bars adjusted as far up as I could go without scraping the windsheild feels a whole lot better.Is there any way to adjust these things or risers/bars that could rectify this?

Thanks Chris
Check out the MBL risers. I use the standard and they work great for me. Its funny the first time I sat on an 1800 I thought why are the bars so low and if you notice even the switches point at your belt. after the riser install much better. Jim

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Just a quick question... but are you sure that there aren't any aftermarket mods on the existing bars?

I believe the Kury set will drop and narrow the bars. May want to make sure that they aren't on there... if so, it may be as simple as removing them.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Is it just me or are the bars way too narrow and low on an 1800?I just picked up an 04 1800
Waldo's "fix" was just what I needed. I found a pair of risers and all is well. I cannot remember who made the risers but they only raised the bars. :thumbup:

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Two things. Risers and a 1/2" drill.

CLICK ME

That's what I was looking for?I actually had thought about doing that ,but didn't know if it would make much of a difference.Thanks for all the replys Guys.Did another short ride today and I could possibly get used to the height,but if there are risers available I think I'll get them.Definitely don't like how narrow they feel though.

Not sure if anything been added to it as I don't have anything to compare it to and I'm not really familiar with the 1800 yet.Buddy at work has an 09 that I could check,but would it be the same handle bar wise.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Check out the MBL risers. I use the standard and they work great for me. Its funny the first time I sat on an 1800 I thought why are the bars so low and if you notice even the switches point at your belt. after the riser install much better. Jim

Just had a look at the MBL's.Looks like a good setup.Thanks for the tip.Was reading the add and it said that some people thought the stock bars were too wide and they have one kit that narrows them some.I have a hard time swallowing that.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Send a note to Rocky. He now makes the new version of Reg Risers. Raises the bars 1/2-3/4 of an inch and pushes them forward almost 2 inches. I have the original reg risers I found used on this board and they fit the bill perfectly!

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Send a note to Rocky. He now makes the new version of Reg Risers. Raises the bars 1/2-3/4 of an inch and pushes them forward almost 2 inches. I have the original reg risers I found used on this board and they fit the bill perfectly!
Really don't want them any further ahead.Want them back if anything.As it is I'm going to have to try and modify the Corbin because the backrest is too far back for me to actually use.Doesn't seem to be any adjustment on this backrest.Whoever Corbin built this seat for must have been 7' tall with 3' arms.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Yes it's just you. Having handlebars chest level 14" away from the chest is really not too low???? As to the width, I never noticed anything out of the ordinary. Highchairs to reach the handlebar not necessary on a GL1800 and put the drill away before the bike is ruined. Look at some of these guys motorcycles that recommend these "upgrades" and get the idea of their mentality before joining the garbage club.

·
Chard Member
13,263 Posts
Really don't want them any further ahead.Want them back if anything.As it is I'm going to have to try and modify the Corbin because the backrest is too far back for me to actually use.Doesn't seem to be any adjustment on this backrest.Whoever Corbin built this seat for must have been 7' tall with 3' arms.

Adjustment bolt for the drivers backrest is under the seat! :shrug:

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Adjustment bolt for the drivers backrest is under the seat! :shrug:
Had the seat off yesturday and couldn't see any adjustment.Seems a bit silly to have to pull the seat to adjust it.Maybe I'll contact Corbin.This thing needs to come ahead at least an 1" to 1 1/2".I can maake it work by fabricating a new bracket that slides into the seat,but I'd kind of like to avoid that.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes it's just you. Having handlebars chest level 14" away from the chest is really not too low???? As to the width, I never noticed anything out of the ordinary. Highchairs to reach the handlebar not necessary on a GL1800 and put the drill away before the bike is ruined. Look at some of these guys motorcycles that recommend these "upgrades" and get the idea of their mentality before joining the garbage club.
Hey Bud why don't you tell us how you really feel?
And yes obviously there's a lot more than just me that see this as an issue.
This is my 6th Wing and I know where I feel the most comfortable with my bars and stock on this bike isn't it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts