GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The left handle bar on my 06 gl1800 (100k miles) feels like there is a small amount of play as if it is coming loose. I feel a "clicking" sensation and it appears that the handle bar moves just a bit.

The two bolts appear to be tight. The right side is OK.

Has anyone experienced this and determined what the cause and fix might be?
Thx
cliff

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Not sure if you have a riser kit but if not installed correctly this could be the problem the handle bar treads where the 2 bolts go in are pretty soft alloy make sure they are not cross threaded inspect them again see if they are fully seated hope this helps :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
It Sounds like you need a set of allball steering head bearings.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is definetly in the bar
No balls were installed about 15k miles ago

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
I have reset the torque on All balls before.And that cured the problem on hearing a "click when braking".

The proplem is some guy think they Seated the races in the neck,but didn't get them where they should be,and thus you will have play after the bike is ridden for some miles as the forks will drive the lower race the rest of the way up in the neck.

The easiest thing to do is pull the top bearing looking for knotching in the upper race from load.if the race looks good,then retorque the bearings and you'll be good to go.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
No never had a loose handlebar.

Has to be a bolt, or not seated properly or might even be cracked at the secure point of the bar.

Only way you will know is to take the two bolts out of the bar and inspect it all.

Should not be any play.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. I think maybe Rocky has it figured out. I'll be contacting the all balls installer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts