GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed if i engage cruise control at about 40 miles an hour and take hand pressure off of handle bars the bars shake back and forth. This only happens at 40 MPH took it to dealer they rebalanced front wheel and checked bearing still has same shake at 40 with no pressure on handle bars. It does not do this under 40 or slightly over 40 anyone else experience this? The dealer was suppose to call honda and find out if there is an issue with front end shake. If you keep pressure on bars you don't feel any shake at 40 but if you let up bars that baby shakes. Still waiting for dealer to get back to me. Bob

·
Registered
807 Posts
It is my understanding from reading such posts & responses over many years that Every bike and Every tire has a certain speed where this will occur. Just keep your hands on the bars:wink2:

·
Registered
19,260 Posts
What year bike. I don't assume you know you are in the 2018 Forum. Pre 2018 it is usually the HEAD BEARING. My 2018 is as smooth as butter

·
Registered
927 Posts
If you have a pre-18.......research will show that the majority 1800's suffer from front end wobble. Tapered steering stem bearings seem to elevate this issue, also check the torque on the OEM bearings.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep I thought that maybe the case I will just keep those hands on the bars. The bike is an 18 DCT

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
2018+ models can head shake too. The rear wheel/tire is more prone to excite the frame than is the front. My 2018 shook as the rear tire was wearing close to indicators, new rear tire resolved that issue.

prs

·
Registered
101 Posts
My handle bars started doing the little shake dance between 40 and 50 mph. The tires had 13k on them but were just getting to the wear bars. Visually they still looked fine. Following Pigeon Roost's comments I ordered new tires. When I removed the back wheel I noticed that in about a 10 inch area around the circumference, the wear was already scuffing into the wear bar. Everywhere else on the tire the wear bars did not show any sign of being scuffed. Installed the new tires today and shake is gone.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Several of us have had this issue. Mine was at speeds of 44-46 mph. Take your hands off and wow it can get scary looking the way the bars go crazy. But put just one pinky finger on the bars to stabilize and it’s smooth as can be. Talking to several members here about this and some had videos. We have came to a conclusion that it could be 1 of 3 things. 1 bad, worn, out of balance tires. This is the most expensive possibility. Some installed centramatic balancers and the issue went away and some got new tires all together. 2 the steering nut and bearings can be loose. The easiest way to check this is to put the bike on center stand, raise the bike to where the front tires comes of the ground and pull up and down to feel any play in the front bearings. Fred and max have had several bikes come in with this issue when they are installing the upgraded suspension parts. 3 which was the cure for my shaking, is the right side steering tie rod ball joints were worn. At 5k mine were shot. Traxxion sells a set of pins that lock your front steering into place so that you can check for free play in the steering linkages. I purchased the traxxion dynamics steering tie rod bar and it completely eliminated my shaking. My tires are about shot as well and still not steering wobble in the bars. The traxxion steering rod will last forever. It’s made with high quality ball joints.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Yep I thought that maybe the case I will just keep those hands on the bars. The bike is an 18 DCT
How many miles on the bike itself and on the tires ?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts