GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will win I find out but didnt take too Honda dealer cause when issue came about Honda dealer said nothing wrong so I too to where I bought bike at power sports dealer tht has a goldwing mech he found issue I'll be going to this guy from now on

·
Registered
200 Posts
My stem nut was not even hand tight from factory. fixed it myself with a little Loctite and a little impact, also put a mark on it to see if it moves again. 5k miles since and still good.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I checked the stem nut when I was installing the Helibars. Set the torque wrench to 76 foot pounds and it clicked without the nut moving at all. I could have loosened it and re-torqued it, but that takes two people and a really long extension. So mine is "at least" 76 foot pounds.

·
Registered
162 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Bought my 2018 DCT Tour September 1 last year. Tied it down according to the dealers recommendation even though I didn't agree with them. Had to buy a set of handlebar tie downs and use them. Had about a 600 mile drive back home and when I unloaded it, I noticed the movement in the handlebars. Not knowing for sure if that was normal on this bike, I called the dealer and asked. They said that it should be tight. Long story short and 6 hours later, I had taken the panels off to expose the stem nut only to find out it was not even at the white mark from the factory. Torqued it down to 76 ft lbs and some loctite and all is still good. Just wish the dealer would have known about the easy method to remove the console at that time and it would have saved me at least 5 hours. But the dealer was very understanding and considerate with compensation for me and my inconvenience.
Big H

·
Registered
930 Posts
I bought the steering lock pin from Traxxion Dynamics and when I did my last service, I checked the handlebars and steering for any looseness at all. At 8,000 miles it was all good.
I will continue to check this at every service I do on the bike.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just noticed mine are loose. Has been back and forth to the dealer a couple of times on their trailer. First time they broke off the handlebar ends using improper tie down procedures. Second time things seemed alright but now loose bars. Dealer replaced bars completely after bar ends broke (parts of ends were stuck in handlebars) so I suspect they failed to torque it down correctly. Back to the dealer I guess or maybe I will do it myself this time.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts