GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone out there experience a gradual increase in engine-induced hadlebar buzz/footpeg buzz? Even though my 2004 went back for 24K maintenance, I found the upper triple clamp screws a little on the loose side. Tightening them seemed to help. I'm certain now the dealer does not tighten everything they should. They said they do a preload test on steering head bearings, and said they're fine (my experience is steering preload makes a BIG DIFFERENCE in buzzes like this). In summary, anyone found a short cut to go straight to for this problem. If the bike was like this when I bought it, I would of passed - it's really was that bad.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I don't understand ... what would make anything buzz on an 1800 Goldwing ??? Certainly not the SMOOTH running engine ... :roll:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Readng your post has helped me. I had all balls bearings put in my '04 about a year ago by a good Honda dealer. I drove off and noticed the turn signals didn't work and went back and the guy who worked on it reached underneath it and pushed up something and all was well. However over the year, I developed a front end vibration that I just can't seem to get rid of. Anything over 65 mph and it shakes to the point that I just have to slow down. I checked the tire and it looks real good-no high or low spots. Took it someplace else and had balance checked - right on. After reading your post, I checked the bolts that go into the tree. The lower bottom has 4 bolts. The right side only had one bolt. The other one must have fell out. The other side had both bolts, but the inside one was so loose that I unscrewed it by hand. It's been raining and I haven't gone out yet to check and see if replacing bolt and tightening all bolts help with the vibration, but I don't think it's a good thing what has happened. Thanks for getting me thinking about the bolts on the clamps.
Don Pittillo
'04 Gold Wing Lehman Trike

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don, I'm glad you found that serious bolt problem. My Honda deealer (Des Plaines Honda) says triple clamp bolts are NOT part of general tightening at intervals. I disagree, but I'm not going to get them to tighten every bolt. I guess it's back to the old days - I ordered Fred's DVD set and will remove plastic every 20k or so and methodically check and tighten EVERYTHING. This lack of faith I'm starting to get is really bumming me out.

Again, anyone have any input on critical fasteners that might be overlooked or potentially prone to loosening, or loose fasteners that can cause rise in engine buzz into chassis ends, I think a lot of people might benefit.

Thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts