GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the middle of changing fork oil and I can't see how to remove the two phillips screws that hold the plastic center cover that covers the fork tube caps. I watch Fred's DVD and his earlier model does not have the two metal braces that covers up the phillips screws. I have a 08, whats the secret?

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
In the middle of changing fork oil and I can't see how to remove the two phillips screws that hold the plastic center cover that covers the fork tube caps. I watch Fred's DVD and his earlier model does have the two medal braces that covers up the phillips screws. I have a 08, whats the secret?
There is no secret. You just use a phillips (crosspoint) screwdriver to remove the two screws. Then lift the cover off. You do have the meter panel off...?

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is no secret. You just use a phillips (crosspoint) screwdriver to remove the two screws. Then lift the cover off. You do have the meter panel off...?
The meter panel is off, yours must be an earlier model, my screws are covered by two metal braces that appears to brace the driver infomation center. No matter which way I turn the handlebars the screws are covered by the two braces. My bike is a premium 08.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
You have to take the four 8 mm bolts out of the meter or as you say the information center and gently lift it up and bungee cord it up. I normally put a towel over the windshield and clip it over the edge. Once the meter is out of the way, you can access the screws.

Kit

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You have to take the four 8 mm bolts out of the meter or as you say the information center and gently lift it up and bungee cord it up. I normally put a towel over the windshield and clip it over the edge. Once the meter is out of the way, you can access the screws.

Kit
Thanks Kit, couldn't find that info in service manual or Fred's DVD's.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Just tie the meter up out of the way. I unplugged mine and removed it and regretted it when I tried to plug the wires back in. Almost impossible.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I had a devil of a time getting the meter panel back on properly because there is one little item not documented on my '07 I'm assuming is on your '08 as well.

Top center on the back of the meter panel is a stud with a rubber isolator which lines up with a yellow colored anodized sheet metal bracket attached top center of the fairing. The bracket has a round hole but a square entry. The rubber isolator has a slot in it that slips in the bracket but you must turn the isolator to align two flat spots with the square entry into the bracket. If you don't get this isolator slid into the bracket properly the meter panel will not mount correctly. I actually got the meter panel on without inserting the isolator but it didn't feel right, sort of springy, took it back apart and found the bracket. It may be in the procedure in the manual and I just missed it but don't think so.

It's a pain to get your hand around back and line it up but you can do it, after the first couple of times putting the panel back on I can pretty much turn the isolator to position it and then feel my way in.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Thanks Tulsawalk!
Sure wish I had know this when I took stuff off to put on risers. I guess I managed to get it back together OK 'cause it sits OK but next time I have it off I'm going to check the placement of that isolator.

:-( Agree with ponton, do not unplug stuff if you can help it. I also have the Navi unit so have extra plugs back there. It's almost impossible to get them aligned back correctly so they will go back into the connector. Had to use a small mirror, flashlight, and squeeze my hand in the back. There is very little slack so you almost have to have the meter panel in place before plugging stuff in. I spent over an hour on one connector (which included a 10 minute "walk away from it before you take a hammer to it" moment :? ).

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I have always found putting square pegs into round holes does not work well. :evil::evil:

Yeppers, those pin connectors are a pain, one has to work by feel, and for the rubber dust covers to be in position correctly you have to have the meter almost into place and slip your hand up there and carefully position them.

The only thing so far I have threatened to take a hammer to is the left high beam headlight, I will never attempt it again unless the shelter is off.

Kit

W

·
0 Posts
When I had the meter panel out I was also replacing the turn signal flasher so I had the windshield and associated trim removed. It's really quite simple to reach the plugs on the back of the meter panel through the front of the fairing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts