GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 2004 and this is the first year the Honda started to provide lighted handle bar control lights. What should be lit-up – everything? I’m sure some bulbs are burnt out, but what should be lit?

Right side
- On/Off switch
- Resume/Accel
- Cruise Control
- Set/Decel
- RVS on/off

Left side
- CB-Vol
- CB-CH
- CB-SQL
- Low / High beam
- Volume
- Tune / Disc
- Mute on/off

Attachments

·
Registered
247 Posts
have a 2004 also everyting except the high low beam on mine. been that way since rolled off dealer floor. never made sense that the switch with the lights was the only one not back lit

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Guess I have neglected my 2004 because I don't think any of mine are lit. I know the bulbs are in there I have just never taken the time to replace 'em.

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
I would think the reasoning behind the headlights is that it is a thumb switch and the high will show up on the dash.

Just an observation.

·
Registered
931 Posts
They may not be burned out.

I have an '05 with about 80K. Several of the lights in my left pod are out intermittently and have been for the past year or so. I've briefly taken the pod apart but couldn't find the short/loose connection(s).

This winter I'll spend more time trying to track down the problem.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not sure how much time it takes to replace all the bulbs, the cost of the bulbs, or how easy / hard it may be to replace the bulbs, but may be I should consider the Rivco GL1800 Illuminated Rider Controls product. Aside from just learning where the switches are, I still prefer to have them lit.

http://www.directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=2453

·
Vendor
17,783 Posts
I'm not sure how much time it takes to replace all the bulbs, the cost of the bulbs, or how easy / hard it may be to replace the bulbs, but may be I should consider the Rivco GL1800 Illuminated Rider Controls product. Aside from just learning where the switches are, I still prefer to have them lit.

http://www.directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=2453
I wouldn't do the Rivco. The light panel adhears to the current panel as 1. Meaning once on it really cannot be taken back off to clean and lube the switches. Fix what you have is a better choice.

·
Vendor
17,783 Posts
I recently bought a 2004 and this is the first year the Honda started to provide lighted handle bar control lights. What should be lit-up – everything? I’m sure some bulbs are burnt out, but what should be lit?

Right side
- On/Off switch
- Resume/Accel
- Cruise Control
- Set/Decel
- RVS on/off

Left side
- CB-Vol
- CB-CH
- CB-SQL
- Low / High beam
- Volume
- Tune / Disc
- Mute on/off
Nothing your fingers controls are lit on either left/right switch assemblies. On both, all the white lettering should be lit. Including the lettering on the NAVI contols under the left assembly. On the headlight tilt panel ... the same. On the NAVI panel, all the buttons your fingers touch should light up.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Goldwinggreg and others,
Well Gents, here's a thought just to kick around. About a year ago, I purchased a 1994 GL 1500 SE. Well, I found out about 90% of the switch lighting was burned out. I disassembled the housings to find that there were two bulbs in the left handle bar and three in the right handle bar switch pad. The bulbs are known as "Wheat bulbs" in the electrical world. The reason, because they're the same size as a grain of wheat. Anyway, on the 1500, each bulb was in a tiny blue "condom" that, inserted into the switch housing at strategic points to illuminate certain switch areas.

Each bulb also had it's own tiny harness that plugged into the main harness that entered the switch housing. All I had to do was unplug the tiny harness and the bulb slipped out of the switch housing and I removed the tiny condom. The tiny condom appears to do two things, it allows for a tight fit in the housing and, it gives a blue "Hue" to the lighting on the switch lettering. At least that's my assumption on the 1500 anyway.

Now, here's what I did. You could tell on that 1500, evidence of burning on ALL the housings where those bulbs were plugged in. Those bulbs are on 24/7, as long as the bike is on, those bulbs are on. So, knowing that it would be for the most part, expensive and time consuming to locate the original bulb and tiny harness for each application, I substituted LED bulbs for the original bulbs.

I bought a half dozen little, 3mm LED bulbs, and some tiny 1/4 watt resistors. I soldered the bulbs to the resistors, then soldered the rest to each of the little harness. I fit the tiny condom back on the re-inserted it all back into all the original pockets. The result, WAAAAAAAY better lighting effects on the switches and, NO HEAT and, even though the originals did not consume much juice, the LEDs will consume even less juice.

It was a fun little project and it turned out with great results and, THE COST WAS ABOUT $6.00 FOR EVERYTHING!!!! Now, will it work out the same for the 1800, not a clue. But, if and when mine start burning out, I'll surely look into that same remedy. Just a thought here. Take care.
Scott

·
Registered
672 Posts
I've noticed that on my new 2010 the buttons under the radio-the trip, info, settings...whatever-and also the seat and grip heater switches, none of those things are lit. But I don't remember if they ever lit up, or if they're even supposed to. Anyone know for sure?

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Goldwinggreg and others,
Well Gents, here's a thought just to kick around. About a year ago, I purchased a 1994 GL 1500 SE. Well, I found out about 90% of the switch lighting was burned out. I disassembled the housings to find that there were two bulbs in the left handle bar and three in the right handle bar switch pad. The bulbs are known as "Wheat bulbs" in the electrical world. The reason, because they're the same size as a grain of wheat. Anyway, on the 1500, each bulb was in a tiny blue "condom" that, inserted into the switch housing at strategic points to illuminate certain switch areas.

Each bulb also had it's own tiny harness that plugged into the main harness that entered the switch housing. All I had to do was unplug the tiny harness and the bulb slipped out of the switch housing and I removed the tiny condom. The tiny condom appears to do two things, it allows for a tight fit in the housing and, it gives a blue "Hue" to the lighting on the switch lettering. At least that's my assumption on the 1500 anyway.

Now, here's what I did. You could tell on that 1500, evidence of burning on ALL the housings where those bulbs were plugged in. Those bulbs are on 24/7, as long as the bike is on, those bulbs are on. So, knowing that it would be for the most part, expensive and time consuming to locate the original bulb and tiny harness for each application, I substituted LED bulbs for the original bulbs.

I bought a half dozen little, 3mm LED bulbs, and some tiny 1/4 watt resistors. I soldered the bulbs to the resistors, then soldered the rest to each of the little harness. I fit the tiny condom back on the re-inserted it all back into all the original pockets. The result, WAAAAAAAY better lighting effects on the switches and, NO HEAT and, even though the originals did not consume much juice, the LEDs will consume even less juice.

It was a fun little project and it turned out with great results and, THE COST WAS ABOUT $6.00 FOR EVERYTHING!!!! Now, will it work out the same for the 1800, not a clue. But, if and when mine start burning out, I'll surely look into that same remedy. Just a thought here. Take care.
Scott

Good idea... what value were the resistors?

The LED's should outlast the bike. :yes1:

I just had one of the "grain of wheat" bulbs on my CB control pod fail; this is the first of any bulbs to fail since I bought my 2004 new.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Control lights

I've noticed that on my new 2010 the buttons under the radio-the trip, info, settings...whatever-and also the seat and grip heater switches, none of those things are lit. But I don't remember if they ever lit up, or if they're even supposed to. Anyone know for sure?
They don't light up on my 2010.

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
Over a year ago I lost all the lighting for the left handle bar controls on my 06, turned out to be a few wires that got corroded in the wire bundle that runs up the handle bar.

It happened where each of the three wires for the lighting coming from the bottom were split into two.

Here are some pictures.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have a 2004 1800 and have a need to repair the lights on my handlebar controls. Has a fix to this problem been discovered?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
I have a 2004 1800 and have a need to repair the lights on my handlebar controls. Has a fix to this problem been discovered?

Thanks
From many descriptions, it is not a job for the faint of heart. Here's a thread I posted over a year ago about my lights not working. I have the lights, plus I also ordered some LED's but after the advice I got, I just haven't had the time or the incentive to go in and replace. I guess I am waiting to see the what the NEW wing looks like. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts