GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the sticky buttons on the right side problem. My cruise is also not working properly so I need to remove the right side controls to take a look. I have used the search feature but haven't really found anything. I understand the basic steps needed to be taken, be does anyone have a helpful thread or link to make it easier?
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
You can drop down the lower portion of the box as shown by removing the two screws that go up from the bottom to the top. However, if you are planning on digging in there, the throttle cables can give you grief unless you do the simple trick we used to do on dirt bikes to straighten bent bars with a pipe on the throttle side....... we would loosen the bars at the tree clamp and move them over to the left so we could slip the throttle off the end of the bar and not have to disconnect.

On the wing, you just need to access the two bolts that hold the right bar on the tree to accomplish the same task. Remove your meter panel and the plastic cover on top of the bars.. Under there you will find the bolts to take out to get the bar off the tree. You can then slip the assembly off the end of the bar to break it down and access all the switches.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
However, if you are planning on digging in there, the throttle cables can give you grief unless you do the simple trick we used to do on dirt bikes to straighten bent bars with a pipe on the throttle side....... we would loosen the bars at the tree clamp and move them over to the left so we could slip the throttle off the end of the bar and not have to disconnect
I did not find it particularly difficult to disconnect, and later reconnect, the throttle cables that would rationalize this kind of monkeying around. The bonus is I lubed the cables and adjusted them in return. I agree, that most of what this guy wants to do can be done in the limited freedom of movement in-situ with only the two screws removed.

·
Vendor
18,701 Posts
I unbolt the bar on the right side to slide off the trottle cables.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts