GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking for a handlebar pouch like Hopnel made for the 1500 but wasn't able to find one until my buddy came across a vendor that is making them for the 1800. They have a elastic pouch on the under side and a fold over velcro closing top for the side facing the meter panel. Here are a couple of pictures.

I don't think that any of the local vendors carries them.

You can find them here:

B&G Cycle Upholstery www.bgseatcovers.com (800)662-6139

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It's actually two pouches back to back, the bottom half has the elastic gathers and the other (top) half has it's own fold over velcro fasten cover. I have the windshield sock in the top half, and use the bottom half to hold mail, or my gloves. Winter full gauntlet gloves wouldn't fit.

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
Had one on my GL1500 and loved it!

Thanks for the heads up! I will be ordering one today.

·
Registered
250 Posts
No Scuffing

GWNorman, no the pouch does NOT come into contack with or scuff any console areas. I used this pouch on an '01, '03 and '09 GW, and was 100% happy with it from Day 1 to present and continuing.

In fact the 4 Velcro straps that secure the pouch's 4 corners (upper 2 around master cylinder housings and lower 2 around handle bars) are still holding up securely after 8 years of yr-round riding usgae in Florida.

I like the pouch so much I purchased a 2nd one when seen at Bike Week Fesitival vendor location, just in case the first one ever wears out . . . it has proved a "godsend" for me.

The trick to using these pouches is to pull the velco straps very tightly before wrapping and securing the Velcro straps around the attachment points. This keeps the pouch secured taughtly in a lateral right-left horizontal plane across the top of the pouch, stays very secure and non-moving. The straps are anchored very securely to the pouch itself and any / all pouch / strap stitching has been holding up very well, no problems.

When securing the lower straps. wrap the around the handlebars but UNDERNEATH any wire cablinig and throttle cables to allow for tighter and longer velcro-to-velcro contact patches.

Try it, you'll like, and won't be disappointed with this pouch.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Is this pouch large enough to hold a small 9MM pistol?

·
Registered
948 Posts
Can rain get into the pockets, or does it have flaps to prevent that?

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can rain get into the pockets, or does it have flaps to prevent that?
the top pocket with the fold over flap has a velcro seal all the way across. Look at my top picture, you are looking at the top flap sealed against the pouch.

I haven't ridden with ;this in the rain yet, so I can't testify if it is water proof but by appearance, I would say its at least water resistant.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I've used the pouch extensively in 4 cross-country coast-to-coast trips inclusive of heavy rainfalls. The Answer is no, the sealed-flap half of the pouch is not 100% waterproof. It is merely very water-resistant.

As far as the open-topped elasticized open half of the pouch, as long as you do not have it so packed full of stuff theat it keeps the elastic top edge wide open, even the open-topped half does not seem to "pool" and collect water. Especially if you keep moving. The airflow stream seems to keep most falling rainwater away from the pouch if you're moving along.

Obviously the pouch is designed to primarily hold only those durable things not easily harmed by water that you want to keep quickly and handily right in front of your for easy-reach access. Eyeglasses, side-stand ground plates, lightweight gloves, lip balm, gum or mints, toll plaza currency or coins, etc. and it's perfect if you're a cigarettes smoker, placing the cig pack into clothing pocket if-when rain begins. Nice thing about it is easy on-off of the whole thing via velcro straps if ya wanna toss the pouch and contents into the trunk if parking unattended overnight etc.

As to Copilot's query? Gotta love them Texans, LOL. I'd say a 9mm might be stretching things a bit unless it's one of the real compact models. I'd say off-hand that the closed-flap pouch would be ideal for just about anything ranging from a NA Arms 22 mag 5-shot mini-revolver up to and including an AMT Backup 9mm Short (380 ACP), which is not much larger in size than the Beretta Jetfire 25 ACP, 22 short, 22 LR model pistols.

Personally, I'd never "Carry" in a handlebar pouch. Too easily lost if (God Forbid), you go down, and too prone to theft if ya leave it unattended. I guess taking it outa the pouch to slip it into pocket when parking etc. wouldn't be an issue in TX if you have "open-carry" CCW laws there. In concealed-carry CCW states, we gotta keep it concealed at all times and don't need nosybodys in parking loots seeing too much. It might traumatize the uninitiated, if ya know what I mean. "That's what pockets is for". Personally, if carrying while riding I'd never use anything other than a strong-side IWB holster for best retention if I go down. I can hardly envision any scenario where I'd reasonably have need or desire to unholster and present while rolling in traffic. I'd resort to throtlle, brake, escape-&-avoidance evasive maneuvers before I'd ever resort to the Last Resort.

BTW Copilot, - if you do "carry" and "carry large" (caliber-wise, and size-wise) while riding, I'd strongly suggest you shy away from vest inside pockets. Ribcage is amongst the weakest bones in the bod and surround several vital organs. You wanna keep large heavy metal objects away from your ribs at all cost. (Bambi taught me that). Pelvis is one of the strongest bones in the bod. If you have good gear-rigs designed for proper retention and comfort, I'd definitely suggest you stick with inside-the pants, IWB holster, and nothing else. JMHO. YMMV.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts