GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a question for the collective knowledge here:

I had my initial service on my 06' GL1800 Airbag Model today. I inquired about having them install some handlebar risers for me as I do not yet feel comfortable tearing into the fairing to accomplish this.

The service guys expressed concerns about using risers because they were unsure about the different wiring/layout/etc. of the airbag model... At this point, they are unsure if they will do it for me and am waiting to hear back from them next week.

Has anyone installed risers on an airbag model? Is there anything to be concerned about here that would be any different than any other GL1800?

I would greatly appreciate any input on this! :shock:
Thanks in advance! 8)

Brian G

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Help!

Does nobody have any thoughts for me on this issue of adding handlebar risers to my airbag model? :shock:

Thanks,
Brian

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Brian,

I don't know anything about airbag models, but the only wiring that moves is whatever is attached to the handlebars themselves. You should be able to look along the handlebars and see if there appears to be any other wiring near them.

If not and your dealer doesn't want to do it, post a question asking for help in removing the instrument panel from someone on the board. Hopefully there is someone near you who would be glad to do so. I know on some models the procedure is different in that you do not remove the speaker grills.

Dan

BTW, I received the package and thanks. We're planning on giving them a listen today.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I would hazard a guess that moving the handle bars back might impact the deployment of the airbag. That would be the major concern for liability.

·
Registered
411 Posts
'06

I don't know about the airbag model either, but I installed them on my '06 Nav, and only had to SLIGHTLY relocate the wires and cables on the handlebars. I agree with ddking (and he would know) to take a look at what is there and evaluate the situation based on what you see.

Remember, they don't move the bars that much, and I can't imagine any interference in the deployment of the bag.

Let us know what you think.

Cloud9

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anyone else have a thought on this? I am really hopeful someone with the airbag model has installed handlebar risers and can verify there is no problems.

As mentioned before, the guys at my local dealership were expressing some potential concerns about risers w/ my airbag model...

Thanks in advance for any help and advice! 8)

Brian

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Brian,

I could have been more helpful. You need about 11/16th" clearance above the handlebars and below the ignition cover. On my 03, I had an inch. If there is any way for you to measure that, you'll have an answer.

Dan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts