GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my '08 the guy said he thought it had handlebar risers. I have no other GLs to look at to know, so I took a couple of pix. You're looking at the left handlebar, where it bolts onto the top of the fork, head bearing, or whatever that dohicky is called. Can anyone tell me for sure if that yellow outlined piece sandwiched in there is an aftermarket riser of some sort? If so, is this a common mod and why? I'm thinking of removing it if it's not OEM. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
yes. it is a riser. it's not an uncommon mod. it helps drivers who like the handlebars a little higher and a little closer to them, requiring them to not have to lean forward as much and often improves their shoulder pain.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes. it is a riser. it's not an uncommon mod. it helps drivers who like the handlebars a little higher and a little closer to them, requiring them to not have to lean forward as much and often improves their shoulder pain.
Ok, Thanks. Do you know, is it easy to remove? Or would I have to take the front and or top cover off to do so? Ironically, I'm having a little neck pain and was thinking this might be part of the cause.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Looks just like my 08. I installed the risers on mine because I’m 6’3 “ so I don’t have to lean over to grab the bars like dallen1059 mentioned. It made it so much more relaxing riding and a more upright position.

Reactions: Drair

·
Registered
360 Posts
I've been told my a fellow member here that there is a 'guy' who sells/makes a riser for our bikes that brings the bars up and back.

Anyone have a link to him or his product?

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Ok, Thanks. Do you know, is it easy to remove? Or would I have to take the front and or top cover off to do so? Ironically, I'm having a little neck pain and was thinking this might be part of the cause.
I doubt the riser is the reason for the neck pain. It's a very common and generally desirable mod. If you go to the work of removing it you may discover that it felt better with it installed.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
I agree. At 6'2" the stock bars are fine. Get rid of Chinese "fixes". The thought every motorcycle ever produced since 1903 need risers to eliminate neck pain is one of the fables along the line of santa clause and Christmas.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I've been told my a fellow member here that there is a 'guy' who sells/makes a riser for our bikes that brings the bars up and back.

Anyone have a link to him or his product?
PM sent with info that should help.

Reactions: 20 20 vision

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
Drair, the brand of those risers appears to be MBL Innovations. If you decide to remove them, you may be able to find an installation video online for MBL Risers. Might be useful to you in the removal process.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Take out the two bolts that hold the handlebar to the metal piece beneath it (the riser). Then remove the two bolts that hold the riser to the steering head. Then, remove the riser and bolt the handlebars directly onto the steering head in the same holes that attached the riser to the steering head.

Be sure to put some rags or something underneath where you are removing bolts, so a nut or bolt doesn't fall into the black hole of the engine compartment if you fumble it. don't ask me how i know.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Yes, those appear to be MBL Innovations, and IIRC you may need the original handlebar bolts if you take them off. They don't make a whole lot of difference in the handlebar position, but at 6' I added them and find they are fantastic for 500+ mile days.

Reactions: DALankford

·
Registered
519 Posts
Like Tamathumper says, you may need the original bolts. I've slept many many nights since I installed mine but my initial recollection is that the package included slightly longer bolts for the install.:grin2:

·
Registered
129 Posts
I installed them on my last two (Gen 1 and Gen 2) 1800's. I am 5'6" and was experiencing neck/shoulder pain from reaching forward to get to the handlebars. Recognize that sometimes it is just about getting used to a new bike. If you continue to have difficulty adapting after a reasonable time, you can take further action to adjust your ride for your comfort. Short rides weren't a problem for me. The day long rides were where it became more noticable. They do raise the height of the bars (improving arm position for taller folks), but more importantly for me extend them back toward the rider. This was a marked improvement in hand position and neck/shoulder strain. The risers do come with longer bolts than stock. There is also a plastic cover that was taken off the stock configuration that you might not have received when you purchased the bike used. If you aren't experiencing discomfort now, just leave them as is. If you think either having the handlebars lower or more forward would be more comfortable, by all means experiment and go back to stock if you can get someone's discarded bolts and cover. As you can tell, it isn't just about being tall. The other obvious point is that those who have not experienced discomfort/neck pain solved by these devices have invalid opinions. You will have to remove the cover over the dash/ignition key. The original black plastic cover over the handlebar bolts is held on by two phillips head screws (which you also probably didn't get from the previous owner). Modify or return to original to make it work for your comfort. There are also versions that raise the bars higher/lower (thickness of riser) and closer/further back (length). It might be harder to tell which you have for comparison unless the advertiser includes dimensions on the product, rather than how much it raises or extends the bars from OEM position. Enjoy your new ride!

·
Registered
129 Posts
There are MBL installation instructions (pdf) and videos (for the Kuryakyn version) available on-line that can be googled. The torque value is 20 ft-lbs per the MBL instructions (I couldn't find a specific value for the handlebar bolt in the shop manual, so it might just be the generic guidance for a 10mm bolt - stock head size 14 mm?). The bolts may have come with a dab of the appropriate locktight (blue?) on them if memory serves correctly. The instructions on-line don't mention this though. There is a guide for modifying (cutting out) the black cover in the instructions I found. I had just left it off, as your photos indicate the previous owner did. You won't see the cutout if you go that direction, but the modification does cover up the exposed shiny silver near the bolt holes.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Bought my Kury risers used from someone on this board (at an excellent price I might add!) then found out they had a recall on some of the bolts (prone to break:surprise:) Contacted Kury and they promptly sent me a brand new set of bolts free of charge.
'Bout couldn't ride mine without the risers, neck and shoulder pain had me miserable. They didn't completely eliminate it but the ride was dramatically improved. I'm 6'2".

Yes, you'll need new bolts to remove the risers (and it helps to have a spare set of hands to hold the handlebar while you unbolt the riser!)
Looks like they're jus' 10x35mm if ya didn't wanna wait on shipping, and you'll need 4:wink2:
https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/h...0-8a-gold-wing/handlebar-top-bridge-gl1800-06
Best of on your search for "Zen" on'a motorcycle (we've all been there:laugh:)

·
Registered
44 Posts
I just ordered a pair !

I agree. At 6'2" the stock bars are fine. Get rid of Chinese "fixes". The thought every motorcycle ever produced since 1903 need risers to eliminate neck pain is one of the fables along the line of santa clause and Christmas.
Funny that 1903 is the first year of HD, and, yes, some of those bikes really need risers or "apes"; the set I just ordered for my Wing aren't Chinese either ---- made in USA. As far as the OP, he will have to decide himself. Is your bike 100% stock ?!

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Funny that 1903 is the first year of HD, and, yes, some of those bikes really need risers or "apes"; the set I just ordered for my Wing aren't Chinese either ---- made in USA. As far as the OP, he will have to decide himself. Is your bike 100% stock ?!
No, not 100%. I added a Garmin GPS, although the factory one works pretty well. Other than that yes.Somehow the thought of risers for me always brings thoughts of a small child that needs a booster chair or whatever to reach the table. I outgrew that a long time back on both eating dinner as well as operating a motorcycle.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts