GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at butting some risers on my 2010, and was looking to get some feed back from those of you that have them. I am 6 foot 2 in. tall, and have found three or four diff. ones out there, but not sure witch ones are the best. thanks for you help.

John

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
John,

At 6' 2" I can't quite understand why you are looking to move your bars up and back, which is what most of these product do. Most folks your size are cramped on the bike with the bars in their stock location.

I'm 5' 8" and just added some MBL risers to my bike so I can get my back against the Utopia backrest and easily reach the bars. Much better for me now.

If you're cramped and need MORE room, maybe some others on the forum know of some handlebar risers that will move the bars forward for more room. I don't know of any myself.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
I'll agree, I'm 6'2" and could not imagine the advantage to risers on the goldwing.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I put the reg risers on my 2010. It made all the difference to me. I can sit back further and still have a bend in my elbows. One of the better changes I made to the bike. Add mic-o-pegs and poof, a lounge chair to ride around on.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Reg risers have the advantage that they don't pull the ends closer together, or significantly change the angle back of the grips. Some people find grips that are angled back more, as on at least some other risers, a problem. I have the Reg, and like them.

http://www.directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=5874&str=4
Thanks Tryker, I'll look into these, what I need is the bars up not back.After a long ride sholders get tight from the grips being to low.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
... what I need is the bars up not back.
OK, now I know what you're after. Up, not back.

I read most of the posts on this forum before deciding on which risers to buy for my bike. I don't think I remember seeing any product that just offered raising the bars without bringing them back at least an inch as well. (Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong about that and there acutally are risers that don't also move the bars back.)

The problem is that most of these risers are made with one set of holes that are used to attach the riser to the bike, and a second set of holes to which the handlebars are attached, and they are offset by at least an inch. That's why the bars come back as well as up.

What you're looking for is a "riser only" type handlebar adapter that uses just one set of holes and some longer bolts to reassemble the bars to the riser in their same fore-and-aft position relative to the bike.

I have never seen a "riser only" type handlebar adapter, only the types that also move the bars back.

Has anybody seen a "riser only" type handlebar adapter like John is looking for?

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
John,

At 6' 2" I can't quite understand why you are looking to move your bars up and back, which is what most of these product do. Most folks your size are cramped on the bike with the bars in their stock location.

I'm 5' 8" and just added some MBL risers to my bike so I can get my back against the Utopia backrest and easily reach the bars. Much better for me now.

If you're cramped and need MORE room, maybe some others on the forum know of some handlebar risers that will move the bars forward for more room. I don't know of any myself.

Height is just one factor in the equation. Arm length, posture, riding style and more all impact the reach. I'm 6' with a 35" sleeve length and the original REG risers did a world of good for me. I would like to try the adjustable REGs if they allow the grips to be spaced slightly wider... I've developed a wrist issue in my old age.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I had the Kuryakin risers and recently switched to the Reg risers. For me, the Reg risers bring the bars back quite a bit more - it may be only 3/4 of an inch or so, but it seems to make a big difference in my comfort. I can sit much more erect (no comments please!) with the Reg risers which increases my comfort greatly on long rides.

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
Why not just try the Reg Risers (I have them) and see what you think. If you do not like them (unlikely), they are very easy to sell. No one is going to be able to tell you if you will like them. You must decide that for yourself... with a small investment, of course.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Reg Risers, nuff said! :coffee1:

·
Registered
927 Posts
OK, now I know what you're after. Up, not back.

I read most of the posts on this forum before deciding on which risers to buy for my bike. I don't think I remember seeing any product that just offered raising the bars without bringing them back at least an inch as well. (Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong about that and there acutally are risers that don't also move the bars back.)

The problem is that most of these risers are made with one set of holes that are used to attach the riser to the bike, and a second set of holes to which the handlebars are attached, and they are offset by at least an inch. That's why the bars come back as well as up.

What you're looking for is a "riser only" type handlebar adapter that uses just one set of holes and some longer bolts to reassemble the bars to the riser in their same fore-and-aft position relative to the bike.

I have never seen a "riser only" type handlebar adapter, only the types that also move the bars back.

Has anybody seen a "riser only" type handlebar adapter like John is looking for?

Reg risers will do that.

·
Banned
3,074 Posts
I asked Shawnee Honda to install the Kuryakn risers on my new Wing before I ever took delivery. I'm 6' 1". I find them very comfortable.

Last weekend I swapped Wings with a buddy for a few miles during a ride for him to experience my Kuryakn rider boards and he immediately noticed and like the risers as well. He's about 5' 11" or 6' tall.

Personally, I think they are an improvement worth the money.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Reg risers will do that.
Tryker,

You're gonna have to educate me on this. The only set of REG risers that I have seen for the GL1800 definitely move the handlebars back in addition to up.

See installation photos here:

http://goldwing.eurekaboy.com/risers.htm

There are two sets of holes offset by at least an inch or so, so the bars are going to move back when attached to the second set of holes as designed.

If I'm missing something, or there is a different REG riser model that doesn't have two sets of holes, let me know, 'cause I'm confused on this one.

The only way that I can see to move bars up and not back would be a simple shim with only one set of holes and some longer bolts to attach the bars in the same holes and longitudinal location on the bike they started in.

·
Registered
825 Posts
If you have a seat that moves you back 2 inches, even if you are 6-2 you might like them. That's what I have and have been thinking about them. Would love to find a wing that has them to see.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Tryker,

You're gonna have to educate me on this. The only set of REG risers that I have seen for the GL1800 definitely move the handlebars back in addition to up.

See installation photos here:

http://goldwing.eurekaboy.com/risers.htm

There are two sets of holes offset by at least an inch or so, so the bars are going to move back when attached to the second set of holes as designed.

If I'm missing something, or there is a different REG riser model that doesn't have two sets of holes, let me know, 'cause I'm confused on this one.

The only way that I can see to move bars up and not back would be a simple shim with only one set of holes and some longer bolts to attach the bars in the same holes and longitudinal location on the bike they started in.

I don't know which model of Reg that is. There is an early one and a later one. But my late one looks pretty much the same. The second set of holes is actually a hole and a slot. That elongated slot you see holds one bolt which you move along the slot. That lets you move the bars both forward and back fairly far. With the later model you can even go forward of stock. The geometry of the slot keeps the bars pretty much the same distance apart, and at the same angle. From the website:

"There is almost THREE INCHES of travel front to rear. Your grips will move forward or rear of the stock position - so now you can set your grips to your own personal preferences!"

Some people complain about the price. But you're paying for some clever engineering.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I'm 6'2' with a 33" sleeve and I put the Reg Risers on from our board sponsor. I love them. The beauty of the Reg Risers is that there is so much flexibility. I have a Corbin seat and like to ride straight upright. I moved the bars forward and up rather than back and it helped a bunch. Before I moved the bars forward my wrists were killing me on any long ride, because the bars were back where my wrists were cocked at a bad angle.

On these risers there is a bolt with a tap on the underside that rides in a slot. That is what gives the risers all the flexibility. The secret is to get them adjusted without losing the tap into never land. I got one of them set where I wanted it and then set the other one by measurement on the riser so both were where I wanted them w/o losing the tap. May not be what the manufacturer had in mind but worked for me and I didn't lose a tap. They are a little more expensive than others but well worth the money.

Dan Forker

·
Registered
87 Posts
Risers - Adjustable type vs. fixed.

Just a word of caution. I have the adjustable reg risers and love them, HOWEVER they drove me crazy trying to get them adjusted so that they feel the same on both arms and wrists when sitting on the bike. They always feel different no matter how many times I mess with the adjustment. I mean it still drives me crazy today after two years. It will play games with your head. So I reccomend the fixed kind if I had to do it all over again. Maybe just me though.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I have the std Reg Risers and think they're one of the best aftermarket items I've purchased. I'm 6'2" with a 35" reach just for the record.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts