GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What in the world is the difference between the handlebar riser kit that Hal sells for 14.88 and the one that goes for 77.95!! That's a huge difference!!

·
Registered
317 Posts
The cheap one is a wedge shaped shim. It rotates the tip of the handle bar up or down depending on the direction of the wedge. The MBL mount actually moves the grips closer to the rider. The MBL brings the tips closer to each other, and up the thickness of the new mount and back towards the rider about 1 1/2".

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gary in Indiana said:
$63.07? :D

Sorry... I couldn't resist. :)
HA!!! Great one. I didn't even see that one coming! :?

·
Registered
833 Posts
I've used both. In my opinion the MBL risers actually work, where the wedges are more wishful thinking than anything else........ Rob

·
Registered
4,614 Posts
I use both with the wedges in first and then the MBLs. You have to replace one of the MBL bolts with a hex head, but you get the bars a little higher and a little farther back. But then I had the wedges already before I bought the MBLs.

Chet at Rattlebars has a fix that can be done by drilling out the holes in the bars to 1/2 inch which allows the handles to be moved closer together [which brings them back.] You could add washers underneath to raise them. I would have done this except for two things: I'm too lazy and I really didn't understand Chet's instructions until I had already installed the MBLs.

:banghead:

S

·
0 Posts
I did a cheapie riser thing. I added a washer under the back bolt on each handle bar. Raises the grips about an inch. Cost is 6 cents. I just couldn't justify spending more money to adjust the bars - But I'm a man and I can change if I have to - I guess.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the MBL and they suite my needs just right. I am Vertically challenged so it brought the handlebars back to where I was more confortable.

Rick

1 - 9 of 9 Posts