GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All, I am anticipating installing handlebar risers and a backrest on my NEW GL1800. The backrest will be Utopia, but as far as the risers there are several out there. Add On and Big Bike risers seem only tilt thrm up which may be enough, but REG riser are fully adjustable.
Any comments, pro or con on the above risers?
TIA

·
Registered
171 Posts
Risers

I just put a set of Kuryakyn risers on my 07. I set it up with the bars closest together and with the spacer tilting the bars downward. I'm 6' tall and tried several positions to find the one I like best. I've only put on about 150 miles with them that way, but I can tell this is the only way I'd be comfortable on a long run..When I was shopping on the net, I couldn't see a lot of difference (in pictures) between the REG and Kury and for 40 bucks less.

S

·
0 Posts
One thing to keep in mind no matter what risers you choose . As the bars are moved further back they will eventually interfere with the shelter when you turn the bars lock to lock . The only way around this is to also raise the bars as well so they clear the shelter opening .

Good luck and enjoy your new ride ! :congrats:

·
Registered
4,614 Posts
When I was shopping on the net, I couldn't see a lot of difference (in pictures) between the REG and Kury and for 40 bucks less.
There is actually a big difference. Some just want to bring the grips up and not back. REGs allow this while no others do. They even allow the grips to be moved forward if you want or backward. For those who need this,it's worth the extra money.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Risers

I installed the REG risers on my bike and am well pleased with the improved comfort level.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Being a goldwing nube, what is the benefit of higher bars exactly? Aren't the stock bars really too high already? Maybe for short riders or something?

·
Registered
374 Posts
I noticed on your review you put down the comparison of the REG and the MDL..but you didn't compare the Kuryakyn. Has anyone done that? I ask because I am in the same boat..I need to move my bars back. At present I am using a set of wedges which lift the bars up..but not back or in or out.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I have a set of Kury risers for sale. $30.00 plus shipping. SOLD

SOLD........ SOLD

Thanks Wazted

·
Registered
4,614 Posts
I noticed on your review you put down the comparison of the REG and the MDL..but you didn't compare the Kuryakyn. Has anyone done that? I ask because I am in the same boat..I need to move my bars back. At present I am using a set of wedges which lift the bars up..but not back or in or out.
There is a link on that post to the Kurys. They have several positions which make them difficult to compare directly...and I'm lazy.

·
Registered
4,614 Posts
Being a goldwing nube, what is the benefit of higher bars exactly? Aren't the stock bars really too high already? Maybe for short riders or something?
Some of us move our seating position further away and need the grips to come back with us. Some of us are short. Some of us are tall with short arms, some of us are old, etc., etc. etc.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Sent you a PM dreamer

·
Registered
352 Posts
risers

I put a set of Kury risers on my 08 and they are great. The instructions suck but if you look at the angles you can see which way they are going to move the bars. My arms and back never ache now and before, a 100 miles and I had to get off. +1 on the Kurys. Jim

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
So your saying if you go back an inch it will also go up an inch or what. I just need to go back so i can lean back to put my feet on the highway pegs. Which one would i get and is an inch enough to not interfer with the side doors on compartments?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Kury Handlebar Risers.

I choose the Kury's, due to the 2" rearward movement of the handlebars. All other brands I looked at didn't move the bars back as far, and my primary requirement was for the most movement back (toward the rider) as possible.
Of all the changes/additions I've made to this bike in relation to "overall" comfort, I would have to say that this has been the one thats provided the biggest improvement, & I've made quite a few - Utopia backrest, Mick-O-Pegs, etc..
NOTE: If I recall though, the instruction sheet provided had an issue with the picture/diagram not matching the written description on a couple steps, so be carefull (example: "To bring the bars back 2", see figure A, - and Figure A was showing the bars forward 2" - or something like that..... :x). Hopefully they've corrected this by now.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts